Some final router bits I need to collect up for builds

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm almost ready tool wise for my first scratch build. I sure had to collect up a lot of stuff that I didn't already have! At any rate, have a bandsaw, spindle sander now, air compressor is coming in the next couple of days so that takes care of the large items. I've gotten a Dremel base and bits for fb inlays, a fret saw, miter box for it, made the box jig, binding jig,attained palm router, router bits and bearings for bindings, rasps and planes, chisels long aircraft bits (which have been put to use already). Probably a few small things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I'm going to grab some Forstner bits with the compressor. I take it since our primary use is hogging out material, they don't need to be top notch and something like Ryobi or Irwin will do for that?

I would like recommendations on router bits for these jobs:

Bits for use with templates for:

Edges of guitar body blanks and necks
Pickup cavities
Neck pocket
Control cavity
Making pickguards (template and bevel) and back plastics

I can't necessarily afford top of the line, but am willing to spend for better than low end for sure. I live in Ohio so won't be spraying finish until later spring at best anyway. So in the meantime I can definitely get 2 or more a month and the income tax return will be coming soon as well. And I have my 3 Tokai "kits" to entertain me while I attain the rest of the items. I've already put binding on those am ready to do the fretboards for them.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Hello, it's a long thread but VERY worth reading if you haven't already done so - during the course of it, the sizes and types of router bit required for every job in the Les Paul build process are mentioned

Roxy13

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I think I've read it, but maybe so long ago my memory is fuzzy. I'll definitely read through it again today.

I see Rockler's bits are 25% off right now. Maybe not the best quality though?

Kennoyce

Reaction score
I'm almost ready tool wise for my first scratch build. I sure had to collect up a lot of stuff that I didn't already have! At any rate, have a bandsaw, spindle sander now, air compressor is coming in the next couple of days so that takes care of the large items. I've gotten a Dremel base and bits for fb inlays, a fret saw, miter box for it, made the box jig, binding jig,attained palm router, router bits and bearings for bindings, rasps and planes, chisels long aircraft bits (which have been put to use already). Probably a few small things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I'm going to grab some Forstner bits with the compressor. I take it since our primary use is hogging out material, they don't need to be top notch and something like Ryobi or Irwin will do for that?

I would like recommendations on router bits for these jobs:

Bits for use with templates for:

Edges of guitar body blanks and necks
Pickup cavities
Neck pocket
Control cavity
Making pickguards (template and bevel) and back plastics

I can't necessarily afford top of the line, but am willing to spend for better than low end for sure. I live in Ohio so won't be spraying finish until later spring at best anyway. So in the meantime I can definitely get 2 or more a month and the income tax return will be coming soon as well. And I have my 3 Tokai "kits" to entertain me while I attain the rest of the items. I've already put binding on those am ready to do the fretboards for them.
For most of these bits I just end up using fairly inexpensive template bits or end mills (as long as the shank of the end mill can ride on the template). A couple of notes though:

For the edges of guitar body blanks and necks - after having tearout issues on a couple of guitars, I no longer route the edges of the guitar and neck, I just bandsaw them close and then finish up with the spindle sander, It doesn't really take any more time than routing it and I don't have to worry about tearout.

For forstner bits, I generally buy inexpensive ones, then I sharpen them up with a dremel. In my experience, the only problem with cheap forstner bits is that they tend to be very dull, but a quick touch up with the dremel and they work great.

jkes01

Reaction score
I have some basic router bit sets, but was thinking of getting one of these bad boys.

ARandall

Reaction score
Every single one of those could be done with the same bit should you choose.
But the way I tend to use bits is that I go for a small bit in a small router for shallow cutting, and for deeper cuts I use a bigger machine/larger shaft as you get less flex.
I've bought the 2 small bits from Stewmac a couple of times over the years, as well as the binding channel cutter. The only 2 bits I have after those are a longer bearing bit for both 1/4" shaft and 1/2".

If you're doing a Les Paul with vintage accuracy then you'll need a super long bit for the pot cavity floor second cut.

Latest Threads