solution to the fake Gibson situation

TheWilly17

Reaction score
now that is sarcasm.:) My insult was neither to the level of "tar and feathering" nor was it well thought out. It actually wasn't intended as an insult at all, just an observation. I apologize if I misinterpreted your stance on counterfeit Gibson's. Your previous posts on this subject lead me to assume you approve of buying and owning a fake Gibson. While I wouldn't own one, it's free country and you can do what you want. I have just seen way to many of these things end up being sold as the real thing. And more often than not the poor schmuck comes on here proudly showing off his new Gibson only to be told he bought a Chinese fake.
I can tell you, I am confused with my stand on this myself. I have purchased one, I don't intend on selling it to anyone, I also don't intend on buying another, I also don't try to trick people into thinking it's real. I don't agree with the sellers who are trying to pawn these off as authentic. The place I bought mine was selling it as a fake, I know it's still frowned upon by many especialy in this comunity. I joined this forum to make friends and learn more about the guitars I love, I have no hard feelings toward you or anyone else who disagrees with my opinion. I don't plan on commenting anymore about fake guitars, I wish to enjoy this place and that topic seems to cause chaos. Peace:)

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i can tell you, i am confused with my stand on this myself. I have purchased one, i don't intend on selling it to anyone, i also don't intend on buying another, i also don't try to trick people into thinking it's real. I don't agree with the sellers who are trying to pawn these off as authentic. The place i bought mine was selling it as a fake, i know it's still frowned upon by many especialy in this comunity. I joined this forum to make friends and learn more about the guitars i love, i have no hard feelings toward you or anyone else who disagrees with my opinion. I don't plan on commenting anymore about fake guitars, i wish to enjoy this place and that topic seems to cause chaos. Peace:)

well if it leads you to a real Gibson Les Paul in the future, then it could be a good thing for you!
Every can have a silver lining

MTN3116

Reaction score
I have started this new thread so we can share ideas,
I believe the solution could be if some one suspects a fake Gibson advertised for sale, then they should first post it on here and the more experienced members can confirm if it is authentic or not, if it is a fake Gibson then it is up to all of us here report it to Ebay and then Gibson. if we make enough noise then we can get more attention to this situation.
I think this is very important! if we don't take a stand now, then the fakes will eventually effect the resale value of authentic Gibson guitars due to consumer fear on the resale market! and then we will all suffer!
Maybe you have a better idea to combat the fake situation,
all your ideas and solutions are welcome[
Brilliant solution, Name and Shame:thumb:

geezberry

Reaction score
The fakes are not a problem in my opinion. They don't come anywhere close to the real deal and if you buy one, you deserve to get screwed because they look, play, and sound nothing like a real Gibson. If they were close, then yes, it would be an issue but they are a joke.

dspelman

Reaction score
Worth noting that "intellectual property" is a relatively new concept that didn't occur to anyone until the industrial revolution was well underway and someone realized there was money to be made from it.*

It's not a fundamental right or anything; it's a greed concept designed specifically to give someone a temporary monopoly long enough for them to make the lion's share of bucks before releasing it into the public domain. It was initiated by companies like Standard Oil and US Steel, who were constantly attempting to monopolize their own industries. The argument FOR "intellectual property" was that it would encourage investment. It was an economic stimulus -- that's all. Recent extensions to, for example, the copyright act were initiated and paid for (essentially) by Disney, who poured HUGE amounts of money into congressional pockets because they saw their billion-dollar copyrights moving to public domain under existing law while they were still making money on them.

There are an increasing number of people who view the Patent and Trademark systems as broken and as promoting illegitimate land-grabs; the genome of your own body is being patented by someone as we speak. Everyday words and phrases are being trademarked. City governments are attempting to copyright their skylines. WTF?

*Wiki: "Under intellectual property law, owners are granted certain exclusive rights to a variety of intangible assets, such as musical, literary, and artistic works; discoveries and inventions; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs. Common types of intellectual property include copyrights, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights and trade secrets in some jurisdictions.

Although many of the legal principles governing intellectual property have evolved over centuries, it was not until the 19th century that the term intellectual property began to be used, and not until the late 20th century that it became commonplace in the majority of the world."

dspelman

Reaction score
Two things have been noted about Gibson fakes.

One, they *could* be much better done than they are. Certainly if someone can produce an outstanding replica in his home wood shop, there's an indication that all the necessary information is out there.

Two, Gibson has not been enormously aggressive about stopping them.

Given the quality and precision of some Korean and Chinese import guitars, shouldn't we be seeing copies that are virtually impossible to detect from the real thing? If there's an upside for Gibson from all these poorly done fakes, it might be that

• They lose no customers who could afford a real Gibson; these are all low-priced guitars.
  • It's an ongoing indication that the brand is desirable; if people are buying a fake Gibson, it's in preference to a better-put-together Asian guitar with a different brand name.
  • A certain amount of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt is injected into the used market, which subtly pushes buyers toward new guitars from established dealers who carry authentic product. Gibson, after all, makes no money off the used market.
  • Gibson has found a group of people willing to spend a certain (low) amount of money and brave stories of crappy quality just to get a product with the Gibson name on it. Could that be spurring Gibson's current moves toward the cheap Tribute guitars and the even cheaper Melody Maker series of gibson-shaped guitars? Why buy a crappy Chinese copy if you can get a crappy copy from Gibson?

Latest Threads