solution to the fake Gibson situation

ext1jdh

Reaction score
No kidding, I thought it was all gibbons. Well I learn something new every day around here.

rjshare

Reaction score
two things regarding all that complicated electronic stuff:

1) most of it come from china anyway so the chinese fakers wouldnt have to go far to get fake microdots

2) gibson cant operate a decent interweb home base station page or whatever it is called (you listening henry?) so stuff with data tags and star trek clever bits in it etc :rofl:

River

Reaction score
so stuff with data tags and star trek clever bits in it etc :rofl:
That's hilarious. Is it a sentence? No. Is it intelligible? No. Should we hand the program over to you? No.

Did you have, like, a point?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I think the clause he left out should read something like "[clever bits in it etc] are probably beyond their capabilities."

Forensic reading, eh?

slapshot

Reaction score
The final solution to the counterfeit industry?
Ban all imports from said countries.

The problem is not with the fakes being bought and sold. The problem is when that guy who spent $300 on a fake tries to sell it for $1500. I don't have a problem with the fakes when everyone knows it's a fake.
uhm.you do know that without the fakes problem #2 wouldn't so readily exist.
And the illegal trade in counterfeit goods IS a big problem not just in guitars but everything.There are safety concerns for the end user,fakes can damage a countries reputation,the workers who make them there are a lot of factors at play here.I used to have a job identifying counterfeit sellers at markets here and it was an awesome job.I loved every ****ing second of it.
When you've seen people blinded by a fake golf club snapping in half on a golf course and shooting into another players eye you think differently about it.When people are electrocuted by susbtsandard fake products you think differently about it.
The attitude you display is exactly the cause of the problem.

Fakes are here to stay. I can live with that. Fact is, anybody who can afford to spend any amount of their income on something as inconsequential as a guitar or watch, or a handbag, or whatever, is way better off than most of the citizens of this planet. Is it cool that they're getting ripped off? No, but is it the end of the world? Hardly.

This attitude as well.

E.L. Fudge

Banned
Reaction score
If Gibson, with all their money and resources, doesn't give a shit, why should I?

I'm not about to spend my time doing their dirty work. They're the one losing sales, not me.

Boppy

Reaction score
Exactly. Why some people appoint themselves as crusaders for Gibson's Noble and Venerable Heritage is light-years beyond me.
Too bad about the fakes, but unfortunately it plagues pretty much any industry where there's a quick buck to be made...

rjshare

Reaction score
That's hilarious. Is it a sentence? No. Is it intelligible? No. Should we hand the program over to you? No.

Did you have, like, a point?

oh no busted by the pedantic police again.

i did a little thing that they do for children with aspergers syndrome and replace words with a little picture because it enables them to express emtions better. for example: "today i feel happy" may be expressed as "today i feel :)". using this principle, " :laugh2: " would be a suitable replacement for "that makes me laugh" or similar, hence the phrase: ...so using clever technology etc - that makes me laugh. maybe even a question mark or colon would have sufficed to show that the emoticon was a response to the preceding phrase, but i guess i blew it by leaving it out.

sorry if it wasnt perfectly obvious to you what i was getting at but i dont think that such a condescending response was really called for either do you? my point was that some of the technology proposed by some of the earlier posts is a bit fangled for a company like gibson. i guess for some people its far more satisfying to pick faults in someones grammar than just debate the point that was, in all honesty, fairly easy to understand. never mind though eh?

imagine that: within two pages of a topic about fake guitars we have been able to discuss latin, the origins of the english language and emotional expression in children with learning difficulties.

teame1

Reaction score
What's the difference between a fake and a replica? Hmmmmmm

ext1jdh

Reaction score
A replica is sold as a replica, or never sold. It is usually made from high grade woods and electronics, and can be comparable to the real thing.

A fake is sold as the genuine product using low grade components. Attention to detail is commonly low. They are usually priced too good to be true.

180gROC

Reaction score
A replica is a fake but a fake is not necessarily a replica.

:hmm:

Dan

Reaction score
I think what the OP proposed already happens here. Most folks from MLP who find a fake post it here as fast as they can hotlink it.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
A replica is sold as a replica, or never sold. It is usually made from high grade woods and electronics, and can be comparable to the real thing.

A fake is sold as the genuine product using low grade components. Attention to detail is commonly low. They are usually priced too good to be true.

Many replicas are actually much better than a standard or re-issue from Gibson, as they are custom made by hand with in some cases hand made custom parts and components over many months. They often sell for much more than a factory Gibson, so if you were to get one for the price of a standard LP or less you'd be getting quite the deal.

Gibson clearly cares about protecting their trademarks as demonstrated by the recent Wow Wee suit for the Paper Jamz "guitars", but they should hire whoever is looking after Rickenbacker. If a Rick copy turns up on E-Bay it is pulled REALLY fast. I know from watching the Ibanez copies getting pulled, as well as other copies (and these don't even claim to be Ricks). As far as getting to the source, one of the biggest problems is that the Chinese government does not prosecute copyright laws for other countries (you can walk into a store front in china and buy bootleg movies for around $1.00 a piece). Until the US government can convince China to enforce US copyright laws there will be no end to the knockoffs of guitars and everything else they copy and sell on the global market.

Thundergod

Reaction score
Gibson doesn't care. Make all the noise you want, they'll do nothing. Unless you do that noise in their forum, then they will take action by deleting your posts.

skydog

Reaction score
Here's a solution that should please everyone: Gibson returns to building them where they're instantly recognizable as a Gibson due to the quality and appearance.

Latest Threads