solid top or veneer

mary ford

Reaction score
Hello, please could you help verify this guitar that i bought on ebay.

The seller claims it's a solid top, but it looks like a veneer to me. The guitar weighs about 5kg.

this was the sellers original description
"Stunning 1992 Orville by Gibson les paul. Made by Gibson in Japan. SOLID TOP NOT A VENEER! These are becoming quite rare as the were only made from 1988-1998. Fantastic build quality. This one has a G serial number which means it's fitted with Gibson pickups as standard. These are 57 classics and it sounds fantastic. It has a 60' s profile neck and plays lovely. The colour is lemon burst. The front of the guitar is stunning and in great condition for its age. On the back of the finish has come off around the horn and up to the heel of the neck and part of the back. This was like it when I bought it 4 years ago and hasn't got any worse. There is a dent at the bottom of the back as pictured. It is only cosmetic and doesn't affect the playability in any way. Professionally set up last year. Brand new ernie ball strings. Comes with gator fitted hard case."

these are some pic I took
DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG
DSC_0140.JPG

pics View attachment 490941
DSC_0144.JPG

Roxy13

Reaction score
Definitely veneer or photo flame or you would see the flames coming down the sides of the pickup cavities, especially with one with such pronounced flame on top.

BKS

Reaction score
Veneer or photo flame. Looks photo flame mostly to me but it is hard to spot on photo. In real photo flame looks flat, no depth. Real veneer like that would look more 3d.

Jp3764

Reaction score
Inside the pup cavity route the marking "V/T & LD" i would say stand for "veneer top Lemon Drop". The guitar looks stunning IMO.

zeneffect

Reaction score
I don't know what it is about the bridge but it bothers me. I don't think it's "right" I could be totally wrong but looks off to me.

mary ford

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your replies. Very helpful. I was disappointed when I realized it was a veneer top because i thought i was getting a solid. Is this guitar of significantly less value than the one i though I was going to receive (a solid top one) ?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
May not be an AMAZING deal, but a good deal, nonetheless.

Nice axe, go play the devil out of it!

mono

Reaction score
Since the ad clearly stated " SOLID TOP NOT A VENEER! " i would have to say the seller has some explaining to do...
Ah yeah forgot that bit! You would have a solid eBay/PayPal case if you took it up with them

Latest Threads