Solid state modifications?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I'm not even sure this is where this post goes, but I have a 90s fender pa/keyboard amp and I think it sounds terrific for guitar, and it also takes pedals very well. I will post a picture of the internals shortly, but do you guys know of any modifications that CAN be done to a solid state head? I know tube amps are mostly easily modded (granted you have experience/know-how) but solid state amps really don't. I don't really NEED anything modded, but I just figured it would give me something cool to do. Thanks for responses and feedback. Hope all is well and I appreciate anything I can get as always.

LP1865

Reaction score
I'm not even sure this is where this post goes, but I have a 90s fender pa/keyboard amp and I think it sounds terrific for guitar, and it also takes pedals very well. I will post a picture of the internals shortly, but do you guys know of any modifications that CAN be done to a solid state head? I know tube amps are mostly easily modded (granted you have experience/know-how) but solid state amps really don't. I don't really NEED anything modded, but I just figured it would give me something cool to do. Thanks for responses and feedback. Hope all is well and I appreciate anything I can get as always.
Why touch something if it works properly and sounds good?
I would suggest you get yourself a pedal/amp kit

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Davey this should really be in the Squawk Box section. People who are experienced with what you are talking about may never want to be caught dead in this sub-forum:), which is for amp simulation hardware and software.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Davey this should really be in the Squawk Box section. People who are experienced with what you are talking about may never want to be caught dead in this sub-forum:), which is for amp simulation hardware and software.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I didn't really see anything that said amps specifically. Still a newborn here. My face immediately turned when I finally decided to use this section.

Davey Rock

Reaction score

I won't say it sounds GREAT but I use it as a blank platform for pedals anyway. Takes em good. Fx loop as well, so if I get another head that is either A, beautiful sounding but not very loud, or B, powerful but a sucky tone, I could either slave this amp, or the other one together. I love the amp all on it's own but the circuit just seems not as complicated as most ss amps, and on top of that, I really didn't plan on changing anything to IMPROVE it, but simply just something to do. Future know-how preference. I just enjoy small projects like that. Plus I'm not really one to leave anything alone. In a previous post I said "most people say if it ain't broke don't fix it, well I say keep fixing it until it's broken so you actually HAVE a reason to fix it." That's why I'll never buy a brand new guitar from the factory. Only used.

jvin248

Reaction score
"do you guys know of any modifications that CAN be done to a solid state head?"

Set it on clean PA duty and feed it pedals. Pedals are the mod!

Build a replacement pine case to lighten it up. Maintain cooling needs and shielding though.

Try different external cabinet and speakers.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo....

If this is a "looking for something to do" issue, as it seems many of Davey's questions are (and I was the same way in my late teens and early 20s), the solution is a good tube amp kit like a 5E3, Mojotone Studio One, or any of the other dozens of amp kits that can be had for well under $1000.

Of course, that'll only keep you occupied for a week or so... then "What if I do this on my 5E3?"... well... then it won't be a 5E3 ;)

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Bingo....

If this is a "looking for something to do" issue, as it seems many of Davey's questions are (and I was the same way in my late teens and early 20s), the solution is a good tube amp kit like a 5E3, Mojotone Studio One, or any of the other dozens of amp kits that can be had for well under $1000.

Of course, that'll only keep you occupied for a week or so... then "What if I do this on my 5E3?"... well... then it won't be a 5E3 ;)

Never read something so relatable in a while! But yes as I said before, the main reasons that I do crazy crap to my guitars and screw around with my pedals is because I just have to have them a specific way. IDK if that makes since, but it's really a good feeling when you see a guitar across the room, and one of your buddies say "oh yea that's definitely Dave's" ya know? Just something to do. Clear my mind. Hobby I should've said which I suppose would've summed up the whole post. But thank you! As I say to everyone I appreciate your time.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Probably should've said this before, but this amp I use is actually a combo. A 1x15. I completely destroyed the speaker. Going for that evh "brown sound" trick. Well let's just say that speaker went from a few slices in the cone to a carved turkey REAL quick. Literally only a 3rd of the cone is still intact.

After doing this, I decided to go and build my own 4x12 cab. I contemplated 4x12, 4x15, 8x10, 8x12, and even 8x15! Yep crazy I know, but it's been done before so why not? But anyway I decided on 4x12 half stack. Simple and fun to do. Wrap the cab and head in some custom vinyl I found. Planning to make it look cool. Obviously I don't expect it to add a HUGE amount of volume if any at all, but it definitely will spread the sound and make it sound brighter, at least in my perspective. I'll definitely post something about that. And where should I post it?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The regular squawk box will be a great place to show off your cab build :thumb:
Alrighty man thanks. Maybe you'll catch the post in the future! Thanks for the help.
BTW I suppose the combo to head conversion is mod enough right? Maybe I'll keep looking. Maybe not. Whatever u find to sooth my mind. Ya know what? I'm gonna post my disgusting Ibanez ts9 refinish. It's gonna be grungy. Literally.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Alrighty man thanks. Maybe you'll catch the post in the future! Thanks for the help.
BTW I suppose the combo to head conversion is mod enough right? Maybe I'll keep looking. Maybe not. Whatever u find to sooth my mind. Ya know what? I'm gonna post my disgusting Ibanez ts9 refinish. It's gonna be grungy. Literally.
Homie, here's plenty of projects:

Buy your guts from Tayda. I recommend Love My Switches for knobs and enclosures. You can build a pedal for like $30-50. Play around with some mods. Learn to screen print, waterslide decal. Knock yourself out.

Zungle

Reaction score
Sorry, getting in here late......

One of the easiest mods to any amp, that actually makes a genuine difference is swapping speakers........

Beware....even with solid state its an easy rabbit hole to fall into......but it can be fun.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Sorry, getting in here late......

One of the easiest mods to any amp, that actually makes a genuine difference is swapping speakers........

Beware....even with solid state its an easy rabbit hole to fall into......but it can be fun.

Yes true. Gonna pair 2 Texas specials with 2 more I haven't yet decided. Combo to 4x12 configuration.

Latest Threads