Solid or veeneer top question again..

LocoTex

Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means, but that looks like a pretty thick maple cap.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Thats a tough one. Do you know the year or are there any more shots of the electronics etc ??

zeneffect

Reaction score
Looks solid to me. The center line is hard to tell but to the left in the corner you can see grain come up and wrap over to the top indicating no veneer

eborej

Reaction score
Based on those 2 pictures I would say veneer. That being said sometimes it's difficult to tell even when the pickup cavities are right in front of your face depending on how strong the figuring is in the flamed maple.

endial

Reaction score
If that is a veneer, it's the thinnest tissue-thin veneer I've ever seen.

Definitely not veneer.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Tokai's veneers are very thin, l think they had a press or something to get them that thin. It can be very hard to tell. My eyes aren't good enough to see with those pics 100 % but some LS120 from that period are solid flame tops. I have one from '81. They are out there.

mono

Reaction score
It's a 50:50 gamble with an LS-120. No way to tell unless it's in person or verified by someone knowledgeable in person on your behalf. Personally, I wouldn't gamble if veneer is a problem for you.

JDZ

Reaction score
Much less than 50:50
LS-120's are almost always veneer.
I've only seen pics of one LS-120 that was clearly solid flame top, don't remember what year it was.
Can be very hard to tell sometimes if a top is veneer. Can't tell from those pics.

Edit - actually the seam line looks off from the top going into the cavity. Need high res pics of that. I don't see anything in the pics to make me think its a solid top.

Last edited:

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hard to say with those pictures. How about a picture of the guitar and flame pattern? The veneer examples are very symmetrical across the guitar since it is two thin pieces sliced right next to each other and solid tops usually have some variation as you move further away from the center line.

Lumi71

Reaction score
Thanks so far, guys.
Top si not so symmetrical . Also I would suggest they would havve chosen more flaming for a veeneer top, but who knows...

Attachments

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’d guess solid based on that photo since it is not a typical looking veneer and the grain lines are very strong.

mono

Reaction score
Not flamey enough to be a veneer, I agree.

currypowder

Reaction score
I'm with @JDZ, it's highly unusual to find an LS-120 from 1980 with a solid top. Every example I've seen from that year has been a veneer. I'm not suggesting they don 't exist, but my assumption would be veneer without some very clear evidence indicating otherwise. And I don't see enough evidence in these pictures.

I had an LS-120 with a fairly mundane flame top that I thought might be solid. And the seams matched very very closely. However, with a pretty strong magnifying glass, I was able to detect a slight mismatch between the top seam and seam in the cavity, so it was definitely a veneer, and a thin one at that.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Maybe it's not even a LS120 ?? Does it have a 120 stamp ?? It is fairly plain Jane.

zeneffect

Reaction score
I think the top and center line match. What we see as the centerline is not the centerline. Follow the grain and it matches up. I see a line but I don't think it's the joint, the grain extends beyond it.

Latest Threads