Solder question

SpeedyGonzo

Reaction score
Hi,
I am working on a wiring project but I wanna make sure I am using the right solder wire. I have two different, one that came with my iron solder kit, it says grade 60% (does it means 60/40?)and I have another roll of lead free wire but it is thicker and I’m scarred it’s gonna be garder to work. What do you think?

img upload

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
The lead free one looks like the "General" type wire and if this is a guitar soldering job I would set Benzomatic stuff aside, plumbing sweating is what that looks like. I use 60 tin 40 lead and it works well. It is a thinner wire.

jcohen339

Reaction score
Exactly. Do NOT use lead free.

Besides, it's the lead fumes that make me tingle.
jk

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
60/40 Rosin core.
I don't know what "W-419" flux is, but if it is acid core, do not use it.
You could test it be making a connection to copper and letting it sit for a while to see if it begins to corrode, but I'm sure you don't want to wait weeks/months to find out.

Personally? Go with "known good"
First choice Kester

2nd choice MG Electronics

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I see so many circuit boards in consumer electronics as well as control cavities on guitars with flux residue on solder joints left from the factory.

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux residue left behind after soldering.

RichBurst59

Reaction score
Hi,
I am working on a wiring project but I wanna make sure I am using the right solder wire. I have two different, one that came with my iron solder kit, it says grade 60% (does it means 60/40?)and I have another roll of lead free wire but it is thicker and I’m scarred it’s gonna be garder to work. What do you think?

img upload

1 Lead allows nicer flow.
2 clean iron after each Conn.
3 try both kinds on scrap wire + pull briskly after Conn is cool see which 1 holds best
4 keep isopropyl alcohol+Q-tips to clean flux off Conn after it sets
5 tin your wires (flow some solder on ) before you go to solder them on ...much easier to do.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use either of those.

Kester 44, made in USA. There are a few good flux choices, and a million awful ones.

Regarding cleaning, technically, you want to clean it before every connection, not after, and put it away tinned after each connection. ...which I know is backwards from common practice but it makes sense and gives better connections and longer tip life.

Heat is your friend.... and your enemy. If that doesn't make sense, eventually it will.

Pappy58

Reaction score
60/40 Rosin core.
I don't know what "W-419" flux is, but if it is acid core, do not use it.
You could test it be making a connection to copper and letting it sit for a while to see if it begins to corrode, but I'm sure you don't want to wait weeks/months to find out.

Personally? Go with "known good"
First choice Kester

2nd choice MG Electronics
Yup! ^^^ Throw those you got away and do this! ^^^^^^

Latest Threads