Solder older pickups onto Quick Connect?

thatmanphil

Reaction score
I would like to install my Gibson pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Cutsom Pro. The problem is the new EPI came with Quick Connect ready pickups and the pots look way different. Is it possible to install my Gibsons into the new EPI by soldering? FYI I had the Gibson p/u's in a cheap-o $150 guitar.

Vinkuhippula

Reaction score
Yes you can, but you'll need to either solder a quick connector to the end of the gibby pickups leads, cut the existing wires and connect the quick connector to the gibbys.. or change the push-pull pots altogether.

I suppose you could solder the pickups directly into the lugs on the pots, but that might be the trickiest thing of them all.

Bubba TheBassMan

Reaction score
What if you bought a prewired push pull wiring harness for the Epiphone Les Paul. But, came quick connect circuit board to each of the volume pots. But the Epiphone Les Paul doesn't have the quick connect for the pickups. What is the best way to wire it up?

rbraad68

Reaction score
I do this a lot with my epiphones. Just whack the plugs off the old pickups and splice them on to the gibson pups.. Same would apply if you got another epiphone harness...

Bubba TheBassMan

Reaction score
It doesn't have the quick connect for the pickups. It has 2 wire humbuckers a hot and a ground wire. Which are soldered to the volume pots.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
I would like to install my Gibson pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Cutsom Pro. The problem is the new EPI came with Quick Connect ready pickups and the pots look way different. Is it possible to install my Gibsons into the new EPI by soldering? FYI I had the Gibson p/u's in a cheap-o $150 guitar.
Yes you can. There are a few things you want to think about though:

1) I believe the Custom Pro has push/pull pots. The quick connector should be the type with 5 wires and looks like this:
20220603_181204.jpg

If this is the case, what you could do is splice the quick connect onto the new pickups. It's not worth your time to try to remove the connector from the push/pull pots in the case of the 5 connector pots cause those take a lot of work to do it that way.

BTW, I assume you know how to solder or at the very least have terminal/ solderless connectors readily available.

For the quick connects with no push/pull (i.e. in the 50s/60s standards, normal customs (not pro, not modern)), it's MUCH easier to just unsolder the quick connect (cause those are just one hot and one ground wire connecting to the pot as usual).

2) In the case of the 5 wire connector, use this as a guide:

Epiphone Quick Connector.png

Note: "Bare shield" can be white or black depending on the connector - Epi does this to differentiate between neck and bridge pickups. It doens't matter for your purposes, but when reading the guide, look for where Green is to make sure you don't confuse yourself.

Because you are splicing, you need to follow the left side of the diagram and match north/south start/finish with your new pickups. Luckily, Gibson 4 conductor follows this same coloring code.

3) If your Gibson pickups are 2 conductor (i.e. they look llke this with one wire and a braided shield):
images.jpg

then just solder
(a) the CORE of the wire onto RED
(b) solder Green and White (North finish) (again, do NOT confuse this with the wire that's labeled bare shield) together and just tape it up or use shrink tubing to make sure it doesn't touch anything; and
(c) solder bare shield and Black together and solder that onto the outer braided housing.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you need any further help on this. I just did this for mine and installed dimarzios (keeping the coil split function).

20220604_005331.jpg

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
It doesn't have the quick connect for the pickups. It has 2 wire humbuckers a hot and a ground wire. Which are soldered to the volume pots.
If I understand your question correctly, you're asking about what to do if you have a harness /w push/pull AND quick connect, but your pickups do not have quick connect and are only two conductor?

If you can get your hands on the male connector, then see 3 above.

If you do not have the connectors, then I highly suggest you get two normal 500K pots to replace the push/pulls. The PCB that's attached to the push/pull pot is a hassle to remove and unless you've got the tools or have experience with soldering/desoldering PCBs, it's not worth your time.

Latest Threads