Sold my H&K Tubemiester 18 last night. Guy claims he got home and didn’t work

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Sold this amp last night off Craigslist. Amp was in excellent condition and has matching 1x12 cab. Set it up in my garage as I hadn’t played in a month or two. Fired right up, I disclosed the 18+ months I owned it, had it shut down on me once after I put in new tung sol power tubes. Played it a bit and sound faded, tube lights on back were lit up, indicating power tube failed. Power cycled and never had that issue again. That was 6-12 months ago, o further issues. Amp was rocking the garage. He played it, was happy, paid me and left. He gets home and says he plugs it in and only feedback, and static. I try help him trouble shoot over the phone and we can’t fix it. I gave him spare set of tube, he says he tried those and no help. He wants his $ back and I agree to meet him today to do that. late last night after agreeing to refund his money; he’s texting and calling basically, accusing me of selling him a problem amp, being quite a jerk. I can understand the frustration, as if everything happens the way he claims, yeah I’d be frustrated too. However, part of me is wondering if he did something to the amp, like drop it, or whatever. I’m still going to give him his money back as he knows my address. But pisses me off. Lesson learned. Don’t meet people at your house. I feel he did something to this amp.

anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Deus Vult

Reaction score
Always meet at guitar center or in front of a police station.

now he’ll get his money back and will have cased your place.

irocdave12

Reaction score
I assume you showed him the power soak and he didnt have it on silent mode? I’m going to guess a tube went down Run another amp into the loop and that will tell you if the power section is working and same run loop out to the in of another amp and that will confirm the pre amp section is working. I think your PI tube took a crap personally if I had to guess on my HK experience

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Yeah showed him the power soak. He said it was set right. Says he tried spare set of tubes and same issues

irocdave12

Reaction score
He changed the PI tube in the pre amp section? Not talking about the power tubes. TM amps are famous for being hard on those tubes and they fail frequently with the new production junk Russian and china tubes

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
That guy's a dickhead. You already agreed to a refund and he's still giving you shit? I'd be inclined to tell him no refund after that.

As for casing your house I think its unlikely. I am cautious, though, so whenever someone comes to my house to buy something, I have one of my kids or girlfriend casually go outside and take a pic of their license plate, in case they were using an untraceable burner phone during our communications and my house gets robbed later. I have two pitbulls, though, so I don't worry too much about that. I also never show anyone my gear room. Gear it auditioned in my living room, where there are no valuables.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
He changed the PI tube in the pre amp section? Not talking about the power tubes. TM amps are famous for being hard on those tubes and they fail frequently with the new production junk Russian and china tubes
I think he just changed power tubes.

That guy's a dickhead. You already agreed to a refund and he's still giving you shit? I'd be inclined to tell him no refund after that.

As for casing your house I think its unlikely. I am cautious, though, so whenever someone comes to my house to buy something, I have one of my kids or girlfriend casually go outside and take a pic of their license plate, in case they were using an untraceable burner phone during our communications and my house gets robbed later. I have two pitbulls, though, so I don't worry too much about that. I also never show anyone my gear room. Gear it auditioned in my living room, where there are no valuables.
agreed he’s being a major Dick and when I told him so today on phone he spazzed and started yelling and stuff about how he’s played guitar 40 yrs and has a masters degree in electronic science or something like that. I’m not trying to stick anyone with bad gear, hence offering to refund. But he seems he’ll bent on continuing to accuse me of knowing this would happen and trying to cheat him. Not sure why some people just can’t not be dicks.

redking

Reaction score
I had something kinda like this happen to me one time - I took one of my amps to a local guitar store so that a guy that I knew could try it out because he expressed an interest in this particular amp and he worked at the store (I wasn't trying to sell it, we were just doing it for shits and giggles).

He plugs it in and starts playing and it just slowly dies while he is playing it - we were both kinda baffled as we tried to troubleshoot the problem. We couldn't get it running again so I packed it up and took it home.

I put in on the bench and pulled the tubes and tested them on my little Stark tester and they all tested fine. I put the tubes back in and it still didn't work. Later that week, I bought some new pre-amp tubes and popped a new one in V1 and it worked and has worked flawlessly ever since. The tube that I pulled out still tested fine on my Stark tester, so I'm guessing there was something wrong with the tube that my little tester couldn't detect (it's a very simple "good" or "bad" type of tube tester.)

If he hit a bump in the car and it caused one of the pre-amp tubes to rattle loose in the socket, or damage the tube, I think that is a possibility.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Replace the PI tube and I bet you are back up and running. The only new production tube that lives any real life in a HK amp is a Sovtek LPS I went through 2 new production tubes in my PI spot in less than 3 months. Same vintage Mullard has been in there 2 years now and still going strong

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Replace the PI tube and I bet you are back up and running. The only new production tube that lives any real life in a HK amp is a Sovtek LPS I went through 2 new production tubes in my PI spot in less than 3 months. Same vintage Mullard has been in there 2 years now and still going strong
thanks for the replies everybody

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"He gets home and says he plugs it in and only feedback "

Means unlikely it is the power tubes/section. If they went south, likely no sound at all.

PI, possibly preamp.

MOST likely he let it bounce around on the way home, F'ed something up.

JMP

Reaction score
I think he just changed power tubes.

agreed he’s being a major Dick and when I told him so today on phone he spazzed and started yelling and stuff about how he’s played guitar 40 yrs and has a masters degree in electronic science or something like that. I’m not trying to stick anyone with bad gear, hence offering to refund. But he seems he’ll bent on continuing to accuse me of knowing this would happen and trying to cheat him. Not sure why some people just can’t not be dicks.
Tell him to settle the hell down and remind him jerks don’t give full refunds on Craigslist deals. Sheesh!

ARandall

Reaction score
All the blustering and the 'appeal to authority' in his ranting sounds like there's something on his end that's taken place that he's trying to cover for.
If you'd shipped the amp and it had not fired up then those accusations might have been justified as he'd not seen the amp working with his own eyes. Otherwise, its simply a technique to put you on the back foot and 'bully' you into merely handing him back his money no questions asked.
I'd be contacting him to add that whilst you will honour the refund as you have offered, you will be giving the amp a thorough looking over before such a thing happens - and if it not is precisely the same condition that it left your garage in then its his amp to deal with.
You simply don't know what its been through since it left your house.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
All the blustering and the 'appeal to authority' in his ranting sounds like there's something on his end that's taken place that he's trying to cover for.
If you'd shipped the amp and it had not fired up then those accusations might have been justified as he'd not seen the amp working with his own eyes. Otherwise, its simply a technique to put you on the back foot and 'bully' you into merely handing him back his money no questions asked.
I'd be contacting him to add that whilst you will honour the refund as you have offered, you will be giving the amp a thorough looking over before such a thing happens - and if it not is precisely the same condition that it left your garage in then its his amp to deal with.
You simply don't know what its been through since it left your house.
Dude it’s funny you state this. I was just going over everything in my head and something that bothers me from his first rant text to me is he claims he “babied ” it on the way home. Why say that? Struck me as odd. Bet he let it fall in the car on the ride home or something

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Tell him you changed your mind. It left your house in good shape. All sales final. Pound sand. Or worse.

Block number. Restraining order. Etc.

JMHO.
This all day long.

He tested it, everything was good, you made a deal. Everything after that is his problem. Sucks for him but that's how it goes.

I'd call the police immediately if he hassles you.

+ 1 on the never meet at your house. I know, hindsight.

This happened to me on ebay. Dude bought my watch, claims he "washed it" and the bezel broke. I offered to pay for half of repairs but he wants his money back. "No refunds" stated in the auction. He starts calling me names, so I finally told him to fuck off. He takes it to ebay and claims it's a counterfeit, but I still have the original receipt with the serial number. My one and only negative feedback.

Latest Threads