SOLD. 2013 Gibson Les Paul R8 Aged - $2775 or $2500

Lkdog

Reaction score
Have a really interesting piece for sale here.

Picked this up several months ago from a fellow MLP member who had gotten it from a previous owner who had done a pretty rough relic and aging job on it. It is a low serial number 2013 production per the packlist.

The guitar is a great player so I had it sent off for a refin with Andy Stidoms at BadMojo Makeovers.
It was a complete strip and nitro refin with aged tint. I would say it looks in between washed cherry or washed bourbon burst.

You can read about his process and see his work here: BADMOJO MAKEOVERS GIBSON
In fact this actual guitar is an example of Medium Distressing on his website on the linked page above.
I would call it a level beyond Gibson VOS. Has some mild weather checking, dings, and scuffs and overall aged look.

I have a few projects going so moving some gear right now. Have had several Les Paul historics in past seven years and this is a very good one.
Has had recent fret level and bone nut professionally installed. Frets dead level and intonation is spot on. Sets up to Gibson spec at 3/64th to 5/64th action.

I did a few add ons to it in addition to getting the refin:
* Installed Gibson VOS Custombuckers from a 2014 R8. They read out at 7.97 and 7.82. Very clear and good example of Gibson Custombuckers.
* New aged control plate cover, pickup switch tip and pickup switch ring, aged strap locks, and new truss rod cover.

Neck is pretty typical recent R8 and is
.935 1st
.986 7th
.998 12th

Weighs in at a solid 9 lbs 6 oz.

Electronics have non stock caps and there is a some sort of treble bleed thing on the bridge pickup. I left it as it sounds excellent, but easy enough to change to taste.

Comes with OHSC, COA, prepack checklist, some hangtag info. Case is in good shape with some minor scuffs.

It is a great player and has a real growl to it.

Full picture album here: 2013 R8 Bad Mojo

$2775 shipped using PP Gift.
$2500 with no pickups.

Last edited:

BadMojo

Reaction score
Hi folks, this is a killer guitar at a great price. LKdog is an outstanding guy that is easy to communicate with. Definitely a recommended seller.

If anyone has any questions about the guitar feel free to contact me.

GLWS!

Color match: Flame top was the reference photo.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Great looking axe - GLWS!
It has a very well done aged look that is not over the top. If shiny gloss finish is a 1, and factory VOS is a 3, then this is a 5 or 6.
Color turned out great.

It plays and sounds excellent IMO. I know everybody hears things different. To me has a clear crispy quality that is not harsh and it keeps string definition under gain.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
I wish I had the extra money at the moment for this--Andy's work is phenomenal. He has done a few guitars for me and I can attest to his quality and craftsmanship!

Left Paw

Reaction score
One of the better relic jobs I have seen, and I'm generally not to interested in aged guitars. Especially like the headstock treatment.

Lkdog

Reaction score
:band:

Will sell for $2500 with no pickups if you have your own favorite PAF set already.

Last edited:

Latest Threads