SOLD: 1983 Gibson Les Paul Studio - First Year - Natural Finish - Shaw PAFs

geekrobot

Reaction score
Hi MLP,

Up for sale is a really cool first year 1983 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Made in the USA, this is the first edition of Gibson's Les Paul Studio line.

Ebony board, Tim Shaw humbuckers, natural finish (looks almost like aged white or tv yellow!), all original with OHSC. 9.0 lbs.

One minor issue is that one of the tuning keys (just the greenish plastic knob part of the tuner, not the machine head or peg itself) cracked during shipping to me, but it has been glued back together and works perfectly fine. Full disclosure.

I've absolutely loved this guitar and it feels to me like a custom with its ebony board and Shaw pickups. It is lightweight and resonant, and unique amongst hundreds of cookie-cutter Les Paul Studios. These early dot inlay Studios are without a doubt my favorite, after having owned this, two 90s Studios, and a 2000s Studio. I am selling it because I let my GAS get the better of me and now need to thin the herd before my wife sees my newest guitar!

It is $OLD.

Please send any questions or offers my way!
Thanks,
TC

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
i have an 83 studio as well , love the ebony board with 1 piece maple neck, dots and no binding to take up fretboard space... and a solid two piece body makes one very comfortable guitar....i have many others, this one gets played every day, no bs

the buyer will be super happy with yours...very nice and good price

glws :yesway:

TheZ

Reaction score
Those early studios are killer and the ebony Gibson used back then was so, so nice. And Shaws to boot. Slightly more Tele-sounding thanks to the alder body too I'd imagine. Wish I could get it but somebody's going to love this!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is just beautiful. I love Shaws too. This is a very cool opportunity and I agree with @TheZ , somebody is going to come away from this deal with a killer guitar.

geekrobot

Reaction score
@TheZ @Duane_the_tub thank you both very much for the kind words! I agree with you, this is one hell of an LP. I didn't plan to get rid of it, but I had a bucket list axe pop up locally in NJ for a price I couldn't refuse.

I agree it has some Tele vibes. Looks like a butterscotch blonde one in overall presentation. Alder body makes it lighter, imparts a snappier tone, especially with ebony. Make no mistake though, the sustain and tone is still proper Paul.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
How in the hell have you managed to keep that thing in such good shape for all those years? I have a 1998 ebony Studio that has been treated with TLC, and it shows much more wear than yours. Maybe it's the natural finish.

The older LP Studios are probably the most underrated guitars on the planet. If the Fed makes good on the next COVID stimulus donation, I may well take that beauty off your hands, and drop some P90's in mine. I wish I could today. But as everyone else has said , whoever ends up with it has a lifetime keeper.

geekrobot

Reaction score
I agree. If I had the space and funds I would love to hold onto it. It is a great gigging guitar since it's not a bank breaker. As a first year model and with its nicely aged natural finish, it has been a standout guitar for me, as well.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
If I had to take a Les Paul on the road it would be a studio. 1) cheaper 2) the body is much more comfortable without the binding and 3) the pickups don't care if there's binding or not. Big plus with this guitar is the maple neck that's much less prone to headstock breaks. Even Gary Moore took a Studio out in his later years. Great guitars at a reasonable price. Good luck with the sale!

bblooz

Reaction score
What;s the neck profile/thickness like?

geekrobot

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest, folks. This guitar was shipped out yesterday and is moving to the west coast. Thanks MLP!

crowemag82

Reaction score
So I was unaware that they made Studios in alder. My '88 (which is one of my forever guitars) has a mahogany body and maple top. How long did they use alder for the earlier Studio guitars? This one looks amazing BTW! Wish I would have seen it before it sold. I would have shot first and told the wife later. :rofl:

Latest Threads