SOLD: 1977 Gibson Explorer, White - $2395

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this is my second one of these and I just don't get along with the body style. I love the way these look, but just have difficulty adjusting to how the body interacts with my right arm. I'll probably miss having one as soon as it's gone, so if I talk about wanting another Explorer, somebody give me a good shake.

As with my last one, this is a 1977 Gibson Explorer, but this time in rare original white finish. The serial number dates this to 1977, but the pot codes have '78, so some might consider it a 1978.

The guitar is in good shape for its age, but does show signs of wear consistent with it being 40+ years old. No structural breaks or heel/neck repairs in its history, though.

As with most original white finishes from this era, the nitro has ambered somewhat to make the finish look light cream in color, but it hasn't darkened as much as a lot of finishes that I've seen. It's got a very faint "2" below the serial number, indicating that it was stamped as a second from the factory. As with many of these from this era, I can find no evidence of why. It seems many Gibsons that were done in somewhat rare finishes (as opposed to the more typical natural finish in the case of '70s Explorers) were stamped this way. It also appears to have been double stamped as occasionally seen on other white Gibson finishes going back into the early '60s.

The upper strap button screw got a bit loose over the years, so I did the toothpick trick and it's nice and tight now, but a small amount of finish came off right around the button while it was loose. The strap buttons themselves are Stew-Mac gold replacements. Pickups are vintage (probably late 1970s) Dimarzio PAFs with double cream bobbins and they sound fantastic. I've got some 2013 naturally aged gold Gibson Historic covers on them as well. The nut looks to have been replaced as well. Other than that, the guitar is original, including the frets, which show moderate wear, but still play nicely with no dead spots. The neck pickup ring is cracked around one of the mounting screws.

Weight is 7 lbs, 10 oz (with the pickup covers).

The width at the nut is 1 9/16".

Here are the neck thickness measurements:
1st fret: 0.764"
7th fret: 0.887"
12th fret: 0.959"

Sale includes hardshell case in fair-good condition.

Looking for $2395 PP/shipped ConUS only. If you don't want the pickup covers, I'll take them off and take $75 off of the price. Not interested in trades, thanks.

UqQ9Btq.jpg
a1LH6EC.jpg

0LpcRSx.jpg
F4gOuaM.jpg

lmydMEy.jpg
ubNm2kn.jpg

2m3NFlp.jpg
aUMNM8w.jpg

rwc3OXH.jpg
pcqlxoF.jpg

mSDzcqF.jpg

vDDToV2.jpg

0esJBpm.jpg

jpoLdHV.jpg

wrRNRqA.jpg

uPg8CbP.jpg

pr4Zy6a.jpg

XCHiQAV.jpg

78pfpxx.jpg

cpA5XP5.jpg

SNHVyG5.jpg

enTYX1K.jpg

nJ4xAv5.jpg

Last edited:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar brother! Damn shame that y’all can’t get along with it. GLWS!

Latest Threads