So You Want To Buy A Sig Guitar

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For alot of you young guns.
For the most part a sig guitar is nuthing more than a piece of history, if you think your gonna pull a sig Les Paul out of the box and get your so called Slash :slash: tone or anybody else your in for alot of despair, heartache, and misery. Your better off buying something else. There is no such magic or anything else in a sig guitar, your still just going to sound like you. They arent made with magical wood or anything else, they just carry a certain so called guitar hero's name to it. Every guitar no matter what will be different from the next. So go find a guitar you love the sound of and feels good to you. Even tho I have a few sigs myself, I dont even come close to playing like those guy's tone, but I didnt buy them to sound like the sig guitars namesake, just bought because I liked the feel. I gaurantee you I can take a Les Paul historic or std play some sig licks and you couldnt tell me if I was playing a sig guitar or a historic. Just take what talent GOD gives you and make the best of it. If its a sig guitar thats cool but you will never sound like they do, you'll just sound like you. You never know maybe thats a good thing. :)

Dime O Bag

Reaction score
Agreed,

But there are some good sigs out there (Erm, maybe not for all genres)

Wood quality, neck feel, usually the only problem is a licensed floyd or bad pickups...

but yeah, possible to change =)

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, I don't want somebody else's name on my guitar. I don't play like Billy, Jimmy, Slash, etc. Just me. Maybe they'll put my name on MY guitar someday, now that will be cool! probably only if I pay the special order price...

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
Agreed, although, this is all pretty much common sense. :) Just like a pair of sig basketball shoes aren't going to make you jump any higher or run any faster. You will still perform the same as you always do with or without those signature shoes. The sig thing is nothing but hype and a sales pitch.

GreenBurst

Reaction score
But if you feel better then maybe you will play a bit better (albeit like yourself). Isn't that what guitar playing and gear is all about.

After all that's exactly what the Brits (Clapton, Beck, Page) were doing when they first became aware of LPs and started seeking them out. They weren't trying to be like Les Paul per se, but they definitely were trying to get the sound that they heard others get from that model guitar.

Which is essentially the same thing.

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Sigs are a marketing device, and as such, they are highly successful. Priced between rare vintage and custom shop non-sig editions, the sigs are really meant for collectors, and not players. A player will mod a standard, non-custom shop model, with whatever he can afford in terms of pickups, tuners, or caps. A collector of sigs is trying to connect with a famous artist that he (the collector) admires, and will not undertake any modifications, lest he destroy the collectability of the model. For those who would question the monetary value of a sig, do a search on ebay for Les Paul Guitars, completed auctions. No vintage instrument has sold for over six figures in the last recording period. Below six figures, the two highest closing bids were on two signature guitars, a Jimmy Page Aged and signed LP #2 ($35,000), and a Duane Allman LP model ($13,850).

Gibson Les Paul Custom Jimmy Page #2 Signed Aged 2009 - eBay (item 280611834856 end time Jan-11-11 15:25:30 PST)

Duane Allman Gibson Les Paul Aged Display case etc (211 - eBay (item 180607786699 end time Jan-09-11 07:30:51 PST)

So now that we have the economics of sigs squared away, I'll agree with the other points the Reverend has made. A guitar, whatever the make, only gets you 10% of the way there. The rest is in the hands, fingers, and ear of the player. Whether it takes $1000, $2000, $5000, or more than $10000 to acquire the right instrument, is not relevant. The human part of the equation has to be present to extract the best musical output from the instrument.

sonnyksac

Reaction score
Ive had several non-sig LPs and one CS Slash. Every once in a while, me a group of guys get together a jam out to covers. It sure is fun playing some GNR tunes on my Slash sig. For whatever bullshit reason its just a little more fun for me.

But, if newer players honestly think that buying a sig will make them sound like their guitar hero then they have way more serious problems.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
Where are the mods to correct this blasphemy?!

What sacred cow is next in line for slaughter?

FFS, somebody delete this thread before the Rev. says reissue guitars won't make you a better player/person.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Very true. I'm like you, I didn't buy mine because of ZZ Top or Billy Gibbons. I bought it because I love the guitar, itself. To me, it's perfect and I don't care who's name is on it.

On the flip side of the whole signature guitar thing, I'm sure there are many people who buy them just for the guitarist's name and they feel a closer personal connection to their hero through the guitar. If that's the case - by all means, let them. If it makes them feel better and makes them play more, what's the harm?

Speaking of sigs...
IMG_3922.jpg

Boo-yeah!
GibbonswithhisP119611A.jpg

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
What if the signature guitar just happens to be a really sweet looking, playing and sounding guitar?

FUS44

Reaction score
All things considered, I hope when a signature guitar has a unique feature, like the Page wiring or the Peter green mod, it gets you in the ballpark of some of those classic sounds.

Username1

Reaction score
Very true. I'm like you, I didn't buy mine because of ZZ Top or Billy Gibbons. I bought it because I love the guitar, itself. To me, it's perfect and I don't care who's name is on it.

On the flip side of the whole signature guitar thing, I'm sure there are many people who buy them just for the guitarist's name and they feel a closer personal connection to their hero through the guitar. If that's the case - by all means, let them. If it makes them feel better and makes them play more, what's the harm?

Speaking of sigs...
IMG_3922.jpg

Boo-yeah!
GibbonswithhisP119611A.jpg

+1 I bought a beano becuase i like the understated looks and thin neck, I like clapton, but i have no illusions of sounding like him or being any better becuase i own the guitar. My hero-worship revolves around Paul McCartney, but i don't think they're going to make a Macca Burst anytime soon. The point being is i bought my sig model as a players guitar, not a collectors item. Btw Tim, that's the most beautiful lester i've ever seen.

Phoenix59

Reaction score
Of course buying a signature axe won't make you sound like that person.

You must also buy the amp. :D

Reaction score
I like signatures that have stuff to offer, like for example the special wiring of the JP #2 or the JP custom's 6 way switch.

At this price range I don't think that the people who buy these signatures are trying to magically sound like the person At this price range they are trying to pay tribute their heroes.

So I am not against signatures. Because everyone who has a Les Paul isn't trying to sound like Les Paul

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Sig guitars dont make sense for me anyway. Why would you want to have the exact same guitar as some other guy? I will never buy a sig guitar unless they would be cheaper than normal ones

Latest Threads