So, you just spent 2-3 grand...

LP Bob

Reaction score
He's right, there are legitimate gripes to pick on for that kind of money, like the nut, no back contour, etc. Les Paul's are not immune to criticism, especially when someone spends $3k on one, they have every right to chime in on what they don't like.

But when I wail on it, it's always puts a smile on my face. Then I go get the ice pack for my ribs...

loneguitar

Reaction score
JMO, but for the price you'd think that Gibson would have a bone nut, as far as the rest, except in rare cases, changing the pots, pups and or wiring is a matter of tone.
I have 3 different Gibsons, and have yet to had to replace pots, wiring, or stock pups.
As far as the PCB in the control cavity goes, some like some don't, it's the future though.
And as far as stating that's why I went Epi, that's aother issue, you have to replace those parts to get the damn thing to work properly. Going from a Gibson to an Epi is just backwards thinking.
Gibson has quite a few quality control issues that need to be addressed granted, but they are still one of the best guitar makers out there.

zplapplap

Reaction score
JMO, but for the price you'd think that Gibson would have a bone nut.

Yeah. The Epi elitists come with a bone nut. :rolleyes: A $2000 guitar should come with something better than a plastic nut. Yeah, it cheap to replace it, but it also voids the warranty.

At this point, It's not something that bothers me too much. The guitar stays in tune and the nut hasn't been a source of any problems. I won't replace it until it becomes a problem.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
He's right, there are legitimate gripes to pick on for that kind of money, like the nut, no back contour, etc. Les Paul's are not immune to criticism, especially when someone spends $3k on one, they have every right to chime in on what they don't like.

But when I wail on it, it's always puts a smile on my face. Then I go get the ice pack for my ribs...

There is...and there isn't.

The big point of the thread....If you believed everything you read here....this would be your opinion of the Gibson Les Paul.

I personally don't think this is the case...but to a degree...yeah...that's a good chunk of change. I don't really fault Gibson so much as people selling 'em when it comes to making certain that guitar is an awesome player as soon as it becomes yours.

PS: The MLP Tonefreaks section probably offers the harshest criticisms on stock Les Pauls. Custom Shop doesn't always offer warm and fuzzies either. Just sayin'.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I've played all of mine right out of the box. Never had to change a pickup or a pot, never had any tuning issues: they are solved if you learn how to tune your guitar propperly.

Most folks say "play as many as you can so that you find the one", me, I always take them out of the box before anyone, and they are fine, Ive yet to find a lemon, so my theory after all this time is that store personel fuck up the guitars after taking them out of the box.

That or I've just been insanely lucky, either way people should stop whining and start playing, and dont believe everything you read on the net (specially those Harmony central, GC and MFers reviews, they are mostly writen by idiots, EDIT: ok I take it back... ).

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I've played all of mine right out of the box. Never had to change a pickup or a pot, never had any tuning issues: they are solved if you learn how to tune your guitar propperly.

Most folks say "play as many as you can so that you find the one", me, I always take them out of the box before anyone, and they are fine, Ive yet to find a lemon, so my theory after all this time is that store personel fuck up the guitars after taking them out of the box.

That or I've just been insanely lucky, either way people should stop whining and start playing, and dont believe everything you read on the net (specially those Harmony central, GC and MFers reviews, they are mostly writen by idiots, EDIT: ok I take it back... ).

Well, Thunder God...all I can say is this:

If you can personally account for the quality of every single Gibson Les Paul guitar that leaves the Nashville plant.....I'll believe ya. :)

Thundergod

Reaction score
Im not talking about every single guitar that leaves the factory, Im talking about the ones that found their way to me...

As stated above, maybe Im just insanely lucky. Ive had the same luck with fenders.

BrianBlessed

Reaction score
...On a killer guitar. A Les Paul.
1. The guitar isn't setup, thus unplayable.
2. The wiring (pots and caps) are garbage.
3. The pickups are no good.
4. The nut is crap and needs to be replaced.
5. The Kluson tuners won't hold their tuning.
6. It's chambered in some cases, and it's not a "real" Lester.
7. The strap pins won't do the job...you're gonna need straplocks...

1. I agree.
2. see 3
3. I reckon sorting the wiring out can give pickups alot more mileage.
4. The nut on my LP has had so much graphite on it its now grey. Plastic nuts aren't so bad but on a bigsby/maestro equipped guitar its not ideal, on a 2/3k guitar you'd expect better.
5. No experience with Klusons, my stock grovers are ok though.
6. I don't really have an opinion on the whole weight relief/chambering thing. It's a shame we cut down the rainforest, Has anyone seen the Larrivee ad where it say only one in 500 trees is good enough to make a guitar, and only 1 in 500 is good enough to make a Larrivee, jesus christ wake up and smell the global warming Jean Larrivee you asshole.
7. Hardly any guitars come stock with straplocks, It is frustrating that you have to devalue your guitar, better than dropping it though.

To sort out all these problems gibson would most likely charge you an extra 1k.

Latest Threads