So who has actually played a Vintage Burst?

Which have you played...

• I've played a 1959 Les Paul "Standard"

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Never played a '59, but I have played a 1958-1960 Sunburst Les Paul Standard

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Never played a "Burst", but I have played a 50's Les Paul

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Never played a 50's Les Paul, but I will do when I get the chance

Votes: 41 47.7%
  • Still can't see what all the fuss is about, not played one, have no interest in doing so.

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Agreed...........I don't care what '59 we're talking about. They're all beautiful works of art.

As far as the 50's Strat goes, why should it sound better than the Epi? It's just a mass produced bundle of wood and metal.:thumb:

shannon undery

Reaction score
"As far as the 50's Strat goes, why should it sound better than the Epi? It's just a mass produced bundle of wood and metal."

Well there you go Cookie.......you've made my Strat cry :(

LHakim

Reaction score
I dunno, Cookie...we're talking about right handed guitars here.

I have no interest for that reason. And if that isn't enough....well, I've always considered the '59 LP a talisman for the generation of players before me....

I'm perfectly content and happy with my Norlin. :cool: Beyond that, I just don't feel this "pull" as many others do for the Mystical '59 Tone Rabbit. Unlike Alice in Wonderland, I'm content to let the rabbit be on its way.
Sentry, you answered a question I was going to ask you about not ever playing one. I almost felt a let-down after playing that '59 Burst, but fortunately I came away with the healthy realization that these are only guitars. Still the top on that '59 was beautiful--not much flame but pronounced and 3d looking grain that I haven't yet seen on any new guitar. The fading of the top only seemed to accentuate the flowing grain patterns; that guitar looked like it was glowing from within.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
"As far as the 50's Strat goes, why should it sound better than the Epi? It's just a mass produced bundle of wood and metal."

Well there you go Cookie.......you've made my Strat cry :(
Pulling yer leg Shazza!!:naughty:

You think I really believe that?:wow:

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Sentry, you answered a question I was going to ask you about not ever playing one. I almost felt a let-down after playing that '59 Burst, but fortunately I came away with the healthy realization that these are only guitars. Still the top on that '59 was beautiful--not much flame but pronounced and 3d looking grain that I haven't yet seen on any new guitar. The fading of the top only seemed to accentuate the flowing grain patterns; that guitar looked like it was glowing from within.
These are only guitars like a Cezanne is just a painting. They are beautiful and they are works of art and will all change as they age. That's what wood does. Look at a piece of new oak then look at a three hundred year old oak chair.........beautiful.

LHakim

Reaction score
Cookie-boy I completely agree that the aging process can really enhance the beauty of these instruments. However, Gibson (and the men and women who built those guitars) intended them to be played first and foremost. When Cezanne painted a picture he knew it would just get hung on wall to be looked at because thats what it was created for. Artwork status is what we've added to vintage guitars, and when the utilitarian aspect they were originally built for becomes secondary to their "collectibilty" I lose interest pretty quickly. This is why I choose to own and play a "lowly" Junior, and not a Burst or some facsimile thereof.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I hate the fact that some mega-wealthy industrialist see's the Burst as just another "Picasso" to collect and tuck away in a humidified vault along with the rest of his investment portfolio.

I want them all to be played, but I still can get turned on by the rarity/antiquity whatever you want to call it.

TnT~55

Reaction score
Never have, and I doubt I will. But I can always hope I get the chance...even if the guitar is right handed.

SaM HiLL

Reaction score
I was SO lucky growing up and learning to play in the '60s. My best friend's dad owned a 335 Dot that he would let me borrow for months at a time. It had to have been a '50s model.

A school chum's dad was a preacher who played his '62 SG only at church on Sunday's, and he allowed me to use it any other day of the week. He also let me use his Epiphone 50 watt tube amp loaded with an EV 12 inch speaker. Man that thing would scream!

My uncle owned a '58 Les Paul Standard that he would let me play whenever we visited. He was killed in a car wreck in 1967, and the guitar mysteriously disappeared before he was even cold. My Aunt swears to this day that his half brother snagged it. The bastard.

I knew they were good guitars, but I didn't realize how fortunate I was at the time. I do know that as a result of my good fortune, nothing but a Gibson felt right in my hands.

I bought my first Les Paul in 1975 when I was 18. That guitar was stolen. I now own a '79 Standard, a '53 ES125, and my baby, a '59 DC Les Paul Jr. that I bought in '82 for $300, and a '62 Harmony Rocket. I also have two customized Epiphone Les Pauls that are my club guitars.

Growing up in the '60/'70s was cool. My first car was a '62 Impala Super Sport with a 409 cubic inch engine and 4 speed tranny. Shoulda held onto that one! Gibson guitars and GM muscle cars were hard to beat.

Jessenoah

Reaction score
i played one that was beat to hell, double black Pups, my knees where knocking so bad that you could feel the vibrations in the next state!

it was worth all the hype, or maybe I was caught up in the moment:hmm:

roknfnrol

Reaction score
I played one once (unplugged) at a store in Minneapolis; I forget the name of the store but they have a ton of vintage stuff.

Mark H

Reaction score
My teach, Rodger Wilson, here in Buckhead, had a '57 ? GT back in the '70 when I was taking lessions.
I had an Aria Pro II that I always bitched about during lessions. Well he said here you play mine and I'll play yours for this lession. Didn't even know what I had in my hands, I still sucked and he ripped up the Aria.
That GT had rutts in the fret board and wore out paint even back in the '70s.

Latest Threads