So What Are Odds on a MIKE NESS Sig LP ?

Goldtop Rock

Reaction score
I'm just gonna get a LPS 50's p90 Goldtop and call it a day.

Mike's LP is a 70's LP Deluxe swapped mini hums for p90s.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i dont go out of my way to buy "sigs".but if i thought it was a cool guitar i might want one just because it was cool...

fry

Reaction score
I'm just gonna get a LPS 50's p90 Goldtop and call it a day.

Mike's LP is a 70's LP Deluxe swapped mini hums for p90s.
It’s probably a well-known story, but Mike says he got into P90s from Neil Young. He said he watched Neil‘s guitar tech pull the mini hums out of a Deluxe and toss them in the garbage can, then install P 90s.

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike is cool as fuck, and SD is awesome. But $9k for a collector's item replica? Fuck you, Gibson. Wrong market.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Mike is cool as fuck, and SD is awesome. But $9k for a collector's item replica? Fuck you, Gibson. Wrong market.
That's hilarious I thought the same thing. These tribute replica's are cool I guess, for people who are seriously obsessed with a particular artist and want to know what it would be like to swipe their guitar at a show and take it home. And I'm glad Gibson is finally recognizing latter day players of the rock era. But I'm guessing most die hard SD fans can't pay 9K for something like that, no Boomer cheese there. They should have released it through Epiphone.

Also, a deserved model. That SD tone is identifiable in a few seconds. So airy for a chunky punk rock tone. I was surpirsed to hear that Mike's amp of choice was a Fender Bassman, also probably lends to the clarity and definition. Great songs too. Their songs have more in common with Johnny Cash than most punk bands.

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Regarding the price ... yes, expensive, but also certainly only a limited number being built. The similarly priced Adam Jones '79, Jerry Cantrell Wino, Johnny Winter Bird, etc. are all sold out. Gibson likely has a solid 50% profit margin on them even with spiff paid to Ness himself. With no specified number of how many being built, Gibson can also keep squeezing more out as per the demand. Sell at least 100 of them -- which is pretty likely -- and make an easy $450K ($900K revenue), with ability to make even more as demand permits. Solid business model.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you want to invest your money this way that's up to you.

Reaction score
It's amazing how people drill into the price of a limited edition guitar, when you have plenty of options to buy either a new stock version OR a vintage option at what ever price point suits your budget. it's as if you ONLY that one one to choose from...it's truly baffling.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I’m not too familiar with Mike Ness. But knowing what the Adam Jones and Jerry Cantrell signatures are selling for, I don’t find the 9k price tag all that surprising. I’m pretty sure with the very limited numbers this is being marketed to collectors rather than players and average fans anyways.
Maybe if this does well, they’ll make a more budget friendly Gibson USA version like that Adam Jones standard model that’s now coming out.

Latest Threads