So this is the new Gibson, sure looks like the old Gibson to me!

mjross

Reaction score
How about two examples then? My 2020 50's LP standard is the same. It looks like the fret end is on a little plataeu of rosewood. Although until it needs a refret it should be fine. They also left some horrible marks under the lacquer. I bought mine used as it came up from a shop the other end of the country at a decent price and the serial number dates it to Christmas Eve 2020 so not suprised some flaws made it through. Looking back who trades in a 3 month old guitar? I thought maybe a strat fan that dipped his toe and nope'd out. I have no warranty which is a bit poor really. It should come with a limited time such as 1 year which can transfer between owners. I was waiting for a new one but nobody had any stock for weeks and this had a nice top on it. 50's neck took some getting used to as well.

View attachment 559550 View attachment 559551
I understand how you feel, totally understandable! I really wish that every thing one spends their hard earned cash on was perfect, but in my 68 years on this planet I have found that not to be true. It really does not matter, even the best products have occasional defects or issues. I always make sure that if the item is new that there is a decent return policy. If purchasing used, no matter how much I want the item, the seller had better have amazing feedback and I insist on a phone conversation to feel the seller out and come to an agreement in regard to satisfaction. Has worked pretty good so far, with an occasional hiccup! If you think guitars are bad, stay away from new sports cars. Hope you get it sorted out!

mjross

Reaction score
Maybe related?—Gibson Nashville has a lot of jobs on job boards right now. Most, the actual factory labor, cutting; sanding; buffing, etc ... For Tennessee, the pay rate far exceeds the usual rate for that area. Maybe they're getting a little loose with QC during a high-demand period? Some of the positions clearly state there is a time standard involved. Buffing for instance says you must meet time standard with no burn-through's.
PRS is hiring too, but it is at considerably less than Gibson, fyi
Hmmmmmm…..hate to hear this! Takes time to get it right, sometimes many years.

chaw6125

Reaction score
I understand how you feel, totally understandable! I really wish that every thing one spends their hard earned cash on was perfect, but in my 68 years on this planet I have found that not to be true. It really does not matter, even the best products have occasional defects or issues. I always make sure that if the item is new that there is a decent return policy. If purchasing used, no matter how much I want the item, the seller had better have amazing feedback and I insist on a phone conversation to feel the seller out and come to an agreement in regard to satisfaction. Has worked pretty good so far, with an occasional hiccup! If you think guitars are bad, stay away from new sports cars. Hope you get it sorted out!

I just ended up living with it. I could have messed about with a return but it sounds bloody amazing through my JCM2000 so I just live with it. Annoying but chalk it up to experience. If I wanted to I would sell it and buy new. The shop is a well known shop in the UK and if I had asked for a return I am sure they would have obliged. It is only when it comes to a refret that this could bite me but the amount I play I am sure the frets will out live me. Never had a refret on any other guitar.

guitarsmith

Reaction score
I have seen a ton of Indonesian Gretch and other $700 low price point guitars that look almost perfect in comparison to your example, that's is a shame - and you should return it.

When I purchased the majority of my guitars in the early and mid-80s I can honestly say that just about any guitar under $500 today looks so much better quality-wise than those 80s ones.

My Kramers and Charvels were expensive new back then between $700-1200 and though I thought they were great back in the day. Now when I compare them to just about anything now and think how lucky we are these days for overall quality.

I find your experience to be the exception and not the rule. I would say - demand quality and reject that shoddy work and let them know that it is unacceptable in a well-written letter that reminds them that you have options to spend your hard-earned money on the private market or with another brand. You would be surprised how far a snail mail letter can make it into some businesses. I have been in production environments where a solid dressing down happens over reviews and in particular signatures have been on paper.

Heck I have even received real $$ vouchers or similar from the thoughtful and articulate letters sent to businesses with full apology responses. It matters when negative feedback is given, I always suggest a solution to the issue I had - more eyes or a money back + 5% for issues that should never made it out of the shop.

guitarsmith

Reaction score
What is worse is when the crappy QC guitar sounds better than the replacement by miles...that's the worse lol

zdoggie

Reaction score
another day in the life of Gibson guitar co PISSPOOR qc btw Ive heard that gibson is a terrible co. to work for,

this could be the reason for medeocre workers and not high quality luthiers if I was a skilled guitar builder I wouldn't

work for them either

zdog

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Sorry that some of you folks were sent guitars that were below expectations. I’ve always perceived Gibson as a quality brand and they market their products as such - the quality out the door should be world class and it greatly hurts the brand when it is not.

I’m fortunate that my two 2014’s (Studio and Traditional) have not shown such flaws - the way guitars at this price point should be.

I took the factory tour in Memphis in 2015 - it was interesting and worth the time. Most workers seemed to perform a particular operation and the piece went to the next station - not really luthiers in a traditional sense. As we got to the finishing area, there was a room of workers scraping binding. I asked the tour guide why a room full of workers were performing this task - why didn’t they mask off the binding before spraying. The response generally was that masking didn’t work. I saw no point in going any further with this discussion - because. That seemed like a tedious, mind numbing job. I hope Gibson can improve their quality so these issues become extremely rare to nonexistent.

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
It really gets me down to see this. I moved away from Gibson for a little, for weight and a trem bar, but I came back for tone. I bought two Tributes recently, an LP and an SG Standard, and they're excellent for what they are - better, even. I started at the bottom because I wasn't sure what to expect, post-Henry, but these guitars are brilliant, a joy to play. So I'm thinking of getting a Studio (again) and an SG Standard (again) but the thing is...these two Tributes sound so good through my Dr. X Cure and my Gries 5...there wasn't a lot to mess up, and they didn't mess it up. I read things like this and I think, maybe I should quit while I'm ahead. But I want a 498 in the bridge again. Decisions.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
Here’s an idea:

1) Play the guitar first before you buy it

2) if you bought it online return it. Reverb, GC, Musicians Friend, ZZounds, American Music Supply etc all have simple return policies.

Following these instructions will lead to fewer of these types of posts, rants and complaints about a company screwing you over about something you could have prevented. Your welcome.

martin H

Reaction score
IMO, Gibson should stop doiung nibs if they can't do the work correctly. They don't really emp0loy luthiers, that's for sure, or even that many true craftspeople in what is really just a factory. It's easy to get a straight, true binding when you don't do nibs, so what's the point of keeping to a tradition when you don't have the ability to do it right? The OPs guitar is pretty much a POS as far as the neck is concerned. That binding looks awful and ugly.
That is part of the legacy of Henry J and his Harvard Business School training. "Get rid of as many high-cost high-benefit skilled workers (like folks with luthier skills) as possible. Design industrial processes so the same work can be carried out by a cheap, mobile and unskilled workforce that can immediately be hired or fired to fit business conditions"

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I will say my 2019 has a little bleed thru on the binding. It’s up top by my arm. Is it a bummer yeah it is a little. But knowing some of the most sought after Gibsons in history have a few flaws. I’m completely comfortable saying I’m 100% satisfied. It’s hand built with some machine work. So I’m ok. As long as it still looks good and functional I’m cool. I’m not forgiving misaligned necks or shit like that. But as a guy who has built homes and cars I understand a little bleed thru or finish fuss. It happens to the best of us. Don’t believe me. Go talk to the pro luthiers on this site. Ask if they ever mess up.

flashbak

Reaction score
Here’s an idea:

1) Play the guitar first before you buy it

2) if you bought it online return it. Reverb, GC, Musicians Friend, ZZounds, American Music Supply etc all have simple return policies.

Following these instructions will lead to fewer of these types of posts, rants and complaints about a company screwing you over about something you could have prevented. Your welcome.

Here's an idea, why don't you read my post more thoroughly since its states it is being returned.

flashbak

Reaction score
I will say my 2019 has a little bleed thru on the binding. It’s up top by my arm. Is it a bummer yeah it is a little. But knowing some of the most sought after Gibsons in history have a few flaws. I’m completely comfortable saying I’m 100% satisfied. It’s hand built with some machine work. So I’m ok. As long as it still looks good and functional I’m cool. I’m not forgiving misaligned necks or shit like that. But as a guy who has built homes and cars I understand a little bleed thru or finish fuss. It happens to the best of us. Don’t believe me. Go talk to the pro luthiers on this site. Ask if they ever mess up.

I agree, their are mistakes made and I'm not arguing that point, howevere, my point of disagreement is when those mistakes take place they should be corrected not pass QC and end up in the hands of customers. Isn't that what quality is all about?

MP4-22

Reaction score
That stinks, definitely send that one back. My SG is scraped pretty deep on the top neck binding by 5th fret...I don't feel it while playing and it doesn't bother me much because the guitar looks, plays, and sounds so nice. My LP standard binding isn't scraped absolutely perfect either but completely normal imo for a USA line guitar.

You can have your own expectations but reality is production line handmade guitars are always gonna have slight flaws. Just send it back and get another that one is pretty awful..

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I agree, their are mistakes made and I'm not arguing that point, howevere, my point of disagreement is when those mistakes take place they should be corrected not pass QC and end up in the hands of customers. Isn't that what quality is all about?
I agree. I’m talking a bleed. Not out of spec or crappy work. In your case I would definitely return it. In mine is a little different. Some may live with it. Some may not.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Probably the new guy. He's gotta' practice at some point in time. Just not on mine.

flashbak

Reaction score
I figured the best thing I could do at this point would be to at least make Gibson aware of this issue. I emailed Jim DeCola at Gibson to make him aware of the issue. Folks, if we just accept this, or do nothing about it, things will never change.
Here's the correspondance:

MeWed, Sep 8, 3:51 PM (22 hours ago)
Hi Jim, I just thought you should be made aware of situations like this. I find it incredible that this recently purchased Gibson Les Paul Classic was allowed t

profile_mask_2x.png

Jim DeCola9:39 AM (4 hours ago)
Hi Jeffrey, I’m very sorry to hear of this issue, and appreciate you making us aware of this. I have copied our customer service, and quality control team on th

profile_mask_2x.png

Me11:49 AM (2 hours ago)
Thanks Jim, hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears! Regards, Jeffrey Pelosi

profile_mask_2x.png

Jim DeCola12:30 PM (1 hour ago)
Hi Jeffrey, I made sure to copy the most important people to resolve this. Thanks again!

Thanks Jim.

Jim DeCola

Last edited:

Slick Willy

Reaction score
So does this mean you can’t return the guitar or what’s going to happen?

flashbak

Reaction score
So does this mean you can’t return the guitar or what’s going to happen?
The letter tells him I've already sent the guitar back for a refund. When he says resolve the matter he means so it won't happen again.

flashbak

Reaction score
Since reviewing some other youtube videos these bindings issues seem to be a reoccurring issue. Gibson has already had plenty of time to rectify this situation but obviously hasn't done so. Honestly, I'm not hopeful things are going to change since profit rules over quality at Gibson! Gibson's are fine guitars but be prepared for flaws ranging from minor to pretty significant. The reality is, when you're buying a Gibson it's crap shoot so best of luck!

Last edited:

Latest Threads