So My band's playing a garage gig....

jimmypagekills

Reaction score
My band's name is Broadside, we're a rock band with classic roots (My drummer doesn't seem to like that.:rolleyes:) and we're playing a small gig we put on at our bass player's house tonight. We had to make our own P.A. system cause no one would loan us one for free and we are broke. (High school band) We're doing mostly covers with one original we wrote ourselves, as art takes time to make. we've been a band for like 2 years or so, and we haven't written too many originals cause our drummer wants to go metalcore. Retard:rolleyes:. I'll post the vids from the show tomorrow, tell me what you guys think.

Our set list is as follows

Rock And Roll- Led Zeppelin
Paranoid- Black Sabbath
7 Nation Army- White Stripes
Breaking the Law- Judas Priest
Keep Me Running- Broadside (Our one song :thumb:)
Crazy Train- Ozzy Osbourne (I'll try to do my best to honor Randy:fingersx:)
Summertime Blues- Eddie Cochran/The Who
Parabola- Tool
Squeeze Box- The Who (Our one acoustic song so our bass player can take a bathroom break:dude:)
Detroit Rock City- KISS
Holiday- Green Day
Day Tripper- The Beatles
Young Man Blues- The Who
Dani California- Red Hot Chili Peppers

The_Sentry

Reaction score
That's a solid list. I don't know how many originals you have or whether you're jamming your songs out or playing them straight up....

How many sets do you guys have down?

gui524

Reaction score
Cool bro !! Good luck ... probably most people will not know what you're playing :laugh2:, do you guys have anyone to record some songs ?? I would love to see some videos !!

jimmypagekills

Reaction score
Yeah somebody will have a camera. I'll post em on youtube. I'd tell you guys to look up our other vids, but they're bad sound quality and we were not as good then.

We jam on 7 Nation Army, Summertime Blues and Young Man Blues. (Lots of Blues) And the song "Keep Me Running" is a song me and my singer wrote last week and it sounded good, so we slapped it together. IMHO Please excuse me if my solo in that song goes on we haven't really established how long the solo break in it is ROFL.

Best Wishes!:D

LJGriggs

Reaction score
Man, I remember those days... Setting up in somebody's driveway on a Saturday afternoon and jamming for the neighborhood. It seemed like everybody you knew would drop by and party (at least until one of the neighbors called the cops because they got tired of the crowd, all the cars parked on the street, and that damn loud rock music)... Some of the best players I've ever know I met back during my highschool years (35+ years ago).

G-Minor

Reaction score
sounds good but originals are not hard to right it just takes determination. iver written 4 originals this month for my band and we use them in our sets

gui524

Reaction score
sounds good but originals are not hard to right it just takes determination. iver written 4 originals this month for my band and we use them in our sets

It's not like that, boy ... Do you think Led Zeppelin created Achilles Last Stand in 3 hours, for stance ?? It's easy to make them, but to make them SOUND good is a different story

SlaytanicDude

Reaction score
Br00talz drummer eh? Well if it's a real hindrance to the band, and if you can find someone that works better, it maybe a good idea to take the new guy. Even if he's a little less proficient as a drummer, if he can work with your style, he'll sound better than a drummer doing blast beats during a blues.

jimmypagekills

Reaction score
Ok, we rocked the house down. I screwed up on a few occasions, but hey, I've only been playing for 3 years. Only problem was, some other wanker had a birthday party the same night and he's more popular than us, even though everyone thinks he's a prick. So our crowd was about 20 people. But, I think we did get some OK video. I'll post it later today. I think we'll do another gig like this in the fall, and we'll promote it more. If anyone is in teh Duluth, MN area, feel free to stop by and introduce yourself.

jimmypagekills

Reaction score
Br00talz drummer eh? Well if it's a real hindrance to the band, and if you can find someone that works better, it maybe a good idea to take the new guy. Even if he's a little less proficient as a drummer, if he can work with your style, he'll sound better than a drummer doing blast beats during a blues.

He's a great drummer, he just uses that retarded double bass way too much :rolleyes:. Oh, well what can you do.

jimmypagekills

Reaction score
Ok, so here's some vids from the gig. The a$$hole who we let videotape was, well, an a$$hole, so a lot of the vids didn't turn out. I uploaded the good ones to youtube. Tell me what you think, I know that sound quality ain't the best, and I'm still developing as a player.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTjRn31m5B4]YouTube - Broadside-Summertime Blues (The Who cover) live[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJM2lr_8UY&feature=channel]YouTube - Broadside- Keep Me Running (live)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSV44wE5bDo]YouTube - Broadside-Crazy Train(Ozzy Osbourne cover) Live[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBBQ7pxWqY&feature=channel]YouTube - Broadside- Detroit Rock City (KISS cover) live[/ame]

and here's some pics of our setup and crew.
GarageGigJuly23035.jpg

GarageGigJuly23041.jpg

GarageGigJuly23042.jpg

GarageGigJuly23044.jpg

GarageGigJuly23045.jpg

GarageGigJuly23047.jpg

Thanks for all the support guys!:slash:

WhippingPost

Reaction score
He's a great drummer, he just uses that retarded double bass way too much :rolleyes:. Oh, well what can you do.

Single drum with a double pedal? We take the cotter pins out of the connecting rod for the second pedal when the drummer takes his pre-play restroom break. :thumb: Sometimes the connecting rod also gets lost in the trunk of my car on the way (since I have to give him a ride).

Jason

Reaction score
:applause: Nice job. Your drummer definitely seems aggressive and like he just wants to play as hard as he can... He might be better off in a band that plays a more aggressive style. The singer seems to have the lyrics and timing down and has some stage presence but should keep working on his breathing and projecting techniques. He seemed like he was getting out of breath a lot and not really letting his whole voice push through from the diaphragm up. Also he needs to work on his pitch control... was missing a lot of notes on the more melodic portions. He should sing along with the original recordings every day and try to match them note for note with his voice. After a couple of months he should have them down no problem. Unless he's having some issues with his voice in general, of course. Takes balls to get up there and sing though. :dude:

I'm 28 but I didn't start playing until I was 15... you guys are rocking pretty good... off to a good start. :thumb:

cynic79

Reaction score
Single drum with a double pedal? We take the cotter pins out of the connecting rod for the second pedal when the drummer takes his pre-play restroom break. :thumb: Sometimes the connecting rod also gets lost in the trunk of my car on the way (since I have to give him a ride).

I used to have that problem in my old high school band. At a certain point, our drummer would just start playing double bass at inappropriate times just to piss us off. :laugh2:

jimmypagekills

Reaction score
:applause: Nice job. Your drummer definitely seems aggressive and like he just wants to play as hard as he can... He might be better off in a band that plays a more aggressive style. The singer seems to have the lyrics and timing down and has some stage presence but should keep working on his breathing and projecting techniques. He seemed like he was getting out of breath a lot and not really letting his whole voice push through from the diaphragm up. Also he needs to work on his pitch control... was missing a lot of notes on the more melodic portions. He should sing along with the original recordings every day and try to match them note for note with his voice. After a couple of months he should have them down no problem. Unless he's having some issues with his voice in general, of course. Takes balls to get up there and sing though. :dude:

I'm 28 but I didn't start playing until I was 15... you guys are rocking pretty good... off to a good start. :thumb:

Thanks man. I'kk try to get my singer to practice. As for my drummer , he started a side thrash band with some other idiot, and hopefully that'll let him get his ulrich out. He likes Danny Carey, so it's obvious I need to teach him about good classic drumming. He likes to show off. As if he'll get any girls with that gay choker on!:lol:

G-Minor

Reaction score
It's not like that, boy ... Do you think Led Zeppelin created Achilles Last Stand in 3 hours, for stance ?? It's easy to make them, but to make them SOUND good is a different story

then were on two different musical spectrums cause my band can sit there in one practice and create at least 3 great tunes.

also in alot of cases that is how led zeppelin wrote and recorded their material. they would make a song out something cool that one of them did.

Latest Threads