So My 47" Sony TV Died...

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Or is in the process of dying. It's about four years old, which sadly seems to be about the life expectancy of most tvs these days.

A few months ago, a cloudy dark area started to form in the middle of the screen, and would usually disappear after a few minutes. It got worse and worse, and weird pixilation and other disturbances started appearing. A few minutes of online research confirmed my fear that it was most likely not worth spending the $$$ to repair, so today I went and bought a new 60" Sharp.

I originally thought I might buy one as large as 80"s, but after seeing those up close decided that they were just too big for the space at my place.

So I'm pretty happy..l it came with an included blu ray player, and I got a good set. I pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone else bought a late lately? My wife claims she can install it on our wall, and I believe her... She's really handy with that kind of thing.

The Refugee

Reaction score
It was probably haunted.

I hope you disposed of it using proper rituals and charms.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It was probably haunted.

I hope you disposed of it using proper rituals and charms.

I considered "Elvising" it a few times, but decided shooting it would be overkill. I'll probably take it to the electronics recycling place.

But seriously, ghosts I can probably handle, but they need to leave my tv alone! :laugh2:

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You should have bought your wife a book, and got yourself a new amp.

Probably... Which reminds me, I need to go through about 20 boxes of books this weekend to see what can go to the used bookstore. Setting up our "library" has proven that we have a bunch of doubles.

But I like Italian horror films too much to go without a decent tv. I know that probably sounds sad, but Dario Argento flicks will look great on it. :D

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I watch everything on a 13" laptop. I dunno, works for me.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
I still have my Mitsubishi 27" tube from '95. He he. The picture is fantastic. I go to my friend's houses and see there large LCD pixilated screens and I laugh. :laugh2:

It won't be long now. I will be joinging you.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I watch everything on a 13" laptop. I dunno, works for me.

Sure, nothing wrong with that. I actually don't watch much tv at all, but I DO watch a lot of old movies, and I like to see them on a bigger screen. It's really one of the few typical middle class luxuries I allow myself these days.

A movie like "Suspiria" is totally different on a bigger screen.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Probably... Which reminds me, I need to go through about 20 boxes of books this weekend to see what can go to the used bookstore. Setting up our "library" has proven that we have a bunch of doubles.

But I like Italian horror films too much to go without a decent tv. I know that probably sounds sad, but Dario Argento flicks will look great on it. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXbI5WWqKkA]What You Talking About Willis HQ - YouTube[/ame]

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I still have my Mitsubishi 27" tube from '95. He he. The picture is fantastic. I go to my friend's houses and see there large LCD pixilated screens and I laugh. :laugh2:

It won't be long now. I will be joinging you.

Older tvs just lasted longer or something. My grandparents had the same wooden console Curtis Mathis monstrosity from the early 70s until the late 90s, and then they gave it to my brother, who still has it, and it still works! :laugh2:

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
Skin, every week Terri and I thing: how much longer is this tv going to last?...and then we'll be sucked in to the vortex forever. :laugh2: It is a travesty that high end electronic products like televisions are not made to last. This is why I am a commie. :laugh2:

Laaz

Banned
Reaction score
The Sharp AQUOS is a very good set, I got the 70" with wifi a few months ago after my Toshiba 62" DLP shit the bed. Picked it up for $1,900 and am really impressed so far. :thumb:

bertzie

Reaction score

I bet his daughter will look even better on it.

Sloppy Joe

Reaction score
When I was little kid, if the tv went south, you called the tv repair man, who showed in a van and fixed your tv.

Now-a-days if your tv goes south, you just throw it away. I guess the tv companies figured they could sell much by producing a crappy product.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I was little kid, if the tv went south, you called the tv repair man, who showed in a van and fixed your tv.

Now-a-days if your tv goes south, you just throw it away. I guess the tv companies figured they could sell much by producing a crappy product.

Same here. What's sad is that most consumers seem to just expect things like tvs to be replaced after four years or so, because they rarely last longer than that. I would have paid to have mine repaired, but the repair cost would be nearly the replacement cost. Sad.

BigAl

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! I hope it lasts you as long as they did in the good old days, though I don't think that's possible :p.

My heavy-ass Sony Trinitron is still going strong, and it's been around since I was 5 or 6. We have a few LCD TV's in the house of various makes, and of all of them my 26" Samsung was the only one to die (it refused to turn on). We've got a big Vizio, Sony, and Sharp, so I'm curious to see how long they all last.

Luckynumber3

Reaction score
Older tvs just lasted longer or something. My grandparents had the same wooden console Curtis Mathis monstrosity from the early 70s until the late 90s, and then they gave it to my brother, who still has it, and it still works! :laugh2:
Yeah, we used to hae them last for years, and I still have an old tv/ knew someone who had a tv in the early 2000s that was from the 80s at least and still worked.

A few years ago, I had a tv (not a new lcd one but a big old ones with toobes!:D) and it only laster a few years before it broke.

Anyways, sucks to hear baout that skintaster. I didn't know that tv's could die in only 4 years, and my pc monitor (some cheapo LCDish one that is at least 5 years old) works just fine.:shock:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got my tv from Craigslist. Giant flat thing hanging on the wall.

Got it cheap too. The original owner just wanted newer/bigger/shinier.

One of these days I want a projector.

Forget TV, turn the whole wall into a giant tv.

Video games and horror movies would be awesome.

Latest Threads