So I've been asked to audition for a Def Leppard tribute band

splatter

Reaction score
well I’ve decided to go to the audition. I listened back to the vid several times and I’m thinking maybe there is something there that can work.

so basically I'm going with who sux less.
I got calls from 2 other bands today and boy did they suck

Last edited:

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Singer sounds like Elliot with a bad cold.
Drummer has one too many arms(if it`s a "tribute" band, you need to commit.
Band has to practice a LOT to get not up to par.

Have they ever had a paying gig?
I know they`ve never had a second one at the same place.

My advice, lose their contact info unless you are as "good" as they are and just want to do it for fun in the drummer`s garage.

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The thought of learning all the solos, with harmonies, is itself exhausting. I just wouldn't have it in me for the return in this. Personally, I'd pass big time.

Droog

Reaction score
Pour some sugar on anyone but me. In all seriousness, their music can bring in the crowds, the ladies love them, seems like it could be a steady gig.

Olds442

Reaction score
fucking do it. DL is easy shit to learn and fun to play.

some of the first stuff i played is DL.

Cool aid,
Cooool aid.

Cool aid
Coool aid, for luuuunch.

aww hell yeah, do it.

Slick

Reaction score
@Joeydego was in a Def Leppard tribute a few years ago. I remember him saying that the songs were much more difficult than you imagine as they are made up of layer after layer of different guitar tracks.

splatter

Reaction score
@Joeydego was in a Def Leppard tribute a few years ago. I remember him saying that the songs were much more difficult than you imagine as they are made up of layer after layer of different guitar tracks.
Yea I’ve learned a couple of DL songs and while they aren’t hard to play it can be difficult to figure out just what to play. For instance listen to animal. I can’t figure out for the life of me what the 2nd guitar is doing on some parts . Then I listen to the live version and it’s completely different .

penguinchit

Reaction score
Then I listen to the live version and it’s completely different.
Isn't that normal for any music of this style?

As far as the band, not a fan of the singers voice. Not even close to Joe Elliot. Even today's Joe Elliot voice. The rest of it is okay, but could use some tweaking and polishing. If you joined, maybe you could help dial in some DL tone.

Hamtone

Reaction score
My only "issue" is the harmonies and singing, not very good. I am not knocking because I cant front at all, but I do have an ear. Their vibe/groove is in serious need of some help.

If you like that style of playing and feel you can help them and want to, get after it son.

Lungo

Reaction score
First thing I noticed is guitar tone sucks and opening riff of "Too Late for Love" sounded wrong. Some notes are missed and it sounded like the wrong key. Vocals are not where they need to be either. I skipped through the rest of the vid and the only consistency was how bad the vocals are. Guitar tones sounded a little better but you shouldn't be using enough gain to play Metallica in a Def Leppard song. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but that's my honest opinion. I would expect a recording to represent the best of their ability and if that's it then I'd pass.

Norton

Reaction score
listen to the clips. I’m guessing this is high n dry’s best foot forward?

Perfection and mimicry don’t even enter into the equation.

If You don’t hear problems then go for it.

Meatwad

Reaction score
Went downtown...to see my cousin.
Played guitar, sounded like a chainsaw buzzin'.:jam:

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Tribute bands have become big business. Some people enjoy them, some people hate the idea. I’ve seen plenty, and love them or hate them, most of the ones I’ve seen are very, very good. These guys have a little work to do yet.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
They're not bad, problem is...they sound too much like Def Leppard. I'd rather play in a Cher tribute band than play Def Leppard music. But the band in the video has it going on and they might be worth some time investment...if you like Def Leppard.

Good luck Splatter!

Neffco

Reaction score
Ron Jeremy on bass should bring the chicks fo sho.

I’d pass. Singing is off by a mile. I’m no Lep fan, but I hear enough on the radio to know.