So I got this free router table....

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I acquired this craftsmen router table from a guy at my church who moved into a new house and it was left there. I have a Bosch router and was curious on how to mount it to the table if it's even possible. When mounting to a router table which base is best to use, the fixed or the plunging base?

Not really sure which screws to use either.
Thanks Andrew.

DP59

Reaction score
Fixed base , take the plastic ring off the router base and see if the holes line up, on router and table might be able to use the same screws that held the ring on to the base. It's useful to have the micro adjuster in front also

Renkenstein

Reaction score
If the screws from your base aren't long enough, take em into an Ace hardware store and go through their machine screw drawers and look for a longer set. I had to do that when I dropped a base screw in a pile of plane shavings.

ARandall

Reaction score
Also, does your router have an on off switch or the 'dead mans trigger'. I have to use a zip tie to keep the switch on when mounting it into the table.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
My router has an on off switch. I'll try to install it tomorrow and see how it goes. How exactly do you adjust depth on a fixed base?

emoney

Reaction score
There's a sleeve for adjusting it that goes all the way around, and you'll set the height just like you had the router in your hand, it's just "upside down" now.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
I have one of those myself, I have it set up with a pattern bit (bearing at the end of the bit.. on that table its on the top being that the router is upside down)

I use it for Trimming fingerboards to the pattern shape, trimming pick guards to the template and making duplicates of other patterns

Its such a pain in the ass to change the height, that I simply set it up for that and left it.

Its also not the most stable mounting and if you put to much pressure on it, it will go out of square, which is why i don't use it for "thicker" things like bolt on necks... I use a shaper for that (at the cabinet shop down the street!! :thumb: )

my advice if doing that kind of stuff (like neck heels on bolt-ons) put a piece of binding tape on the pattern to make the workpiece a few hundredths bigger than needed, and then sand or plane it to final thickness.

emoney

Reaction score
Great thought setting it up for a specific purpose. Like Shane, I have mine "fixed" but in my case it's for routing trussrod channels. I've got the fence set where I want it and everything so as long as the blank is a "standard" size, all I need to do is turn it on and push the board across the table and a TR channel takes seconds practically.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
That is what I plan to use it for to rout my truss rod channel. Thanks for your help I'm going to the to mount it to the table today and we will see where it goes from there

Latest Threads