So...I definetely want a LP......

Runsalone

Reaction score
And I pretty much have narrowed it down to an Epi, cause I just cant swing 15-25oo for a Gibby. I guess my question is, if I just buy an Epi Standard that I like the looks and playability of, what are some upgrades that will really get her on par. Secondly how much should I be expecting to spend after the initial 450-550 for the guitar. i expect pickups and wiring would be high up the list...what else.

Thanks for any help, this will be my first LP and Ive wanted one for a very long time!

JMV

Reaction score
I'd personally buy used and buy something that's already been modded. There are a TON of Faded Gibson LPs around - I'd start there.

What type/style of music do you play?

Runsalone

Reaction score
I like lots of music, I like to "try " to play Blues Rock Metel lately my Fender acoustic has been gettin a workout playin Jay Nash and Damien Rice tunes. But Im just as likely to whip out the Schecter and attempt Satriani or Vai. (badly but we al start somewhere right ) LOL. I like the idea of having lots of guitars with very different and uniquely individual sounds, and a Les Paul is next on the list.

Is Gibson faded a model? Im painfully new to the les paul game, so i figured this site would be a good place to start. Im taking more time with this purchess than with my schecter or strat, those two just called to me from the wall so i got em. This one for some reason i feel like I need to find "the right one"

Reaction score
The Gibson Les Paul Studio is Gibson's cheapest Les Paul model. They stripped the Les Paul down to it's bare essentials in order to make it more affordable. Personally, I have only ever played a few Studios that I really cared for, but there are definitely some nice ones out there. The Studios with the faded (worn) finishes are $800 new, but you can find one for $600 if you go used. In the long run, it would be more worth while than upgrading an Epiphone LP Standard.

The Refugee

Reaction score
I would say go for a worn studio over the Epiphone, since you could get them pretty cheap on Ebay (just make sure to check back here so we can verify it's a legitimate guitar).

As for modifications, I am personally a fan of DiMarzio pickups, and you could go on their website and check out sound bytes of their guitars. Be sure to also check out other pickups, such as Seymour Duncan (just giving obvious suggestions).

However, the pickup swap isn't exactly necessary if you get the Gibson. I would only swap them out of you are in a band and go to gigs, but that's just my opinion.

slash38

Reaction score
I say go with the gibson studio for the extra money because its worth it. i actually on the other hand am saving up either for an alpine white or fireburst. there nice playing guitars and some of the finishes are not bad at all also if you are lucky you can find one with a bigsby.:slash:

dcooper830

Reaction score
No upgrades necessary in my opinion.

My stock Epi sounds just as good as my Gibson:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxsm6w7m5o[/ame]

Runsalone

Reaction score
No upgrades necessary in my opinion.

My stock Epi sounds just as good as my Gibson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxsm6w7m5o

hey there I saw your vid on youtube before i even found this site. its was one of the reasons I decided it would be "ok" not to kill myself trying to buy an expensive gibson. I can hear the difference only cause they are side by side in the vid. thanks for doing that!

Runsalone

Reaction score
I'd personally buy used and buy something that's already been modded. There are a TON of Faded Gibson LPs around - I'd start there.

What type/style of music do you play?

I like lots of music, I like to "try " to play Blues Rock Metel lately my Fender acoustic has been gettin a workout playin Jay Nash and Damien Rice tunes. But Im just as likely to whip out the Schecter and attempt Satriani or Vai. (badly but we al start somewhere right ) LOL. I like the idea of having lots of guitars with very different and uniquely individual sounds, and a Les Paul is next on the list. "

I do stuff like this. forgive please there is alot of crap in there with the okay stuff. the first one is through a MG30 also so doesnt sound so smooth lol.
The first thing I plan on doing with the LP is redoing the rythem parts of this one through the Haze40 and getting the lead stuff chopped out and written down instead of just first run ideas. Probably still use the strat for the lead dunno...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbkJ0e3oR3o[/ame]

Just did this one tonight. Just messing around, but see I wanna make lots of different sounds LOL.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsAaKAvK4Zk[/ame]

Just getting back in this guitar game and loving it as much as I ever did. Sure need to shake the rust off though lol.

So can I expect an Epi to need things like a fret leveling or such things. i dont know any local luthiers but i guess I should research that out, that could be handy info.

4nd3h

Reaction score
The Gibson Les Paul Studio is Gibson's cheapest Les Paul model. They stripped the Les Paul down to it's bare essentials in order to make it more affordable. Personally, I have only ever played a few Studios that I really cared for, but there are definitely some nice ones out there. The Studios with the faded (worn) finishes are $800 new, but you can find one for $600 if you go used. In the long run, it would be more worth while than upgrading an Epiphone LP Standard.

Les Paul Jr would like a word.

Runsalone

Reaction score
I see alot of chatter here about elitist models, I take it theyve been discontinued. Is Ebay and such the only source?

guitarEd

Reaction score
My stock Epi sounds just as good as my Gibson
:shock:

careful there DC....thems fighin' words 'round these parts....:shock::)

nice vids by the way, I watched them a number of times....

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I agree with DC, I have had Epis that rivaled and some that absolutely shamed my Gibsons, you don't play the headstock folks........

And besides I have never been a fan of the Studio since they first came out in 1984.
You couldn't give me one for free.

sasquatch

Reaction score
I would say go for a worn studio over the Epiphone, since you could get them pretty cheap on Ebay (just make sure to check back here so we can verify it's a legitimate guitar).

As for modifications, I am personally a fan of DiMarzio pickups, and you could go on their website and check out sound bytes of their guitars. Be sure to also check out other pickups, such as Seymour Duncan (just giving obvious suggestions).

However, the pickup swap isn't exactly necessary if you get the Gibson. I would only swap them out of you are in a band and go to gigs, but that's just my opinion.
For $799 you can't beat the Gibson LP Studio 'Blackout' (Satin Black w/chrome hardware) This one comes with a hardshell case simply because it's not listed as a 'faded'
It's the best out of the low end bunch IMO.

lilkuku

Reaction score
And I pretty much have narrowed it down to an Epi, cause I just cant swing 15-25oo for a Gibby. I guess my question is, if I just buy an Epi Standard that I like the looks and playability of, what are some upgrades that will really get her on par. Secondly how much should I be expecting to spend after the initial 450-550 for the guitar. i expect pickups and wiring would be high up the list...what else.

Thanks for any help, this will be my first LP and Ive wanted one for a very long time!

I'm selling a 98' Fujigen Open-Book Headstock listed in the classifieds. This has all the features of an older USA Standard including the almost 10lbs. GOTOH pups. Email me [email protected] if your interested and we can work on the price for sure.

Epiphone Les Paul open book headstock pictures by pkuster - Photobucket

Patrick

Runsalone

Reaction score

Still looking for any opinions on the original post. Thanks for all current responses!!:)

Latest Threads