So I accidentally played a 2015 True Historic the other day.

DanD

Reaction score
WWs pricing was $3999 for CS7 in VOS. '14 R7s were listed at $4299.

However, dealers like Dave's were blowing out '13s and '14s in the mid $3Ks with random sales lowering prices into the low 3s. There were in fact so many unsold '14 Rs that most informed consumers could purchase the '14 R7, 8, or 9 for far less than a '15 CS7, 8, or 9. The new CS line, being introduced with a glut of '14 Rs available for less money, was pretty much doomed from the beginning.

WW still has a new aged 'paint over' '15 CS7.

Last edited:

jktxs

Reaction score
Saw a TH R8 last week selling for ~320k yen, just below $3k. Used, but it shows the market is treating them no more than Rs of any other year.

Custom shop made a boatload of more exclusive, TH spec guitars during '15-17 that the vanilla THs sort of became moot.

- Historic Selects - custom colours, HS prefixed numbers, unique medallion
- TH spec CCs (Carmelita, Chicken Shack, Danger Burst, etc.)
- 1994 inspired Killer Top (not so killer imho) - KT and TM written in control cavity
- Murphy Masterpiece painted & aged run (9 1XXX numbers)
- HRM THs - 'HRM' COAs and Edwin Wilson verified HRM tops, originally kept for BG, DA and JB artist runs (guess the initials, hehe)

DanD

Reaction score
TH8s were/are very common. As are aged TH8s. The plain tops suffered at the higher TH prices that were right up with '14 R9 prices. Why buy a plain top '58 when this badass '14 R9 is the eye candy I've been longing for?

I purchased an aged " '17" '58 from MF that had typical TH features like the yellowed binding and yellowed Gibson head stock logo. Small frets, rolled binding, light weight and aged so nicely with the aged TH style case.

My guess is that it was a repurposed aged TH sold at blowout pricing as a n aged '17 R8. Andrew, @jenton70 ended up picking that one up after I traded her and a Benchmark R9 for my M2M Braz.

Maybe Andrew will chime in with his feelings about that R8.

I'd also add BBs to your list of low volume special TH runs. There are a few TH BB7s out there but TH BB4s are like finding hens teeth!

Last edited:

jktxs

Reaction score
The plain tops suffered at the higher TH prices that were right up with '14 R9 prices. Why buy a plain top '58 when this badass '14 R9 is the eye candy I've been longing for?
+1
The promo pics for the TH vs. standard historic R8s says it all.

True Historic R8

Standard Historic R8

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it was a repurposed aged TH sold at blowout pricing as a n aged '17 R8. Andrew, @jenton70 ended up picking that one up after I traded her and a Benchmark R9 for my M2M Braz.

Maybe Andrew will chime in with his feelings about that R8.
A really great 58 with a fast playing neck. I believe it to be a repurposed TH. Everything points to that and there is no special run or anything with which it is associated. Makes sense to me that they'd sell off that stock. TH was not a commercially successful run so I'm sure they had guitars available. As much as we derided them, the TH guitars were quite nice...

trapland

Reaction score
Recent trip to the "big City" ..stopped in to a guitar store with a healthy amount of new & used Lesters. I just pointed at a few hanging on the wall & asked to try 'em out. A couple Lemon Bursts (neck was too thin), must've been an RO? Pulled down an R-7, played great but damn, that thing was heavy! Then tried a sunburst :oops: ! Holy cats! This thing was magical. Played like butter, resonated like a bell, & around 8lbs.
I asked the salesperson what's up? "oh, thats a True Historic we just got in" 5k + :(. I got the story on these on how they are an exact clone of an original '59 down to the "molecular level" etc.
So, for a guy that has no interest in historical accuracy, or obtaining a collectors item, but just ran across a guitar that played better than any other Les Paul I've tried in 30 years, is it worth it to shell out this kind of dough?
What sayeth thou proud owners of True Historics?
You set down “the best LesPaul” in 30 years” because it was $5k?

Pageburst

Reaction score
I had a whole heap load of historics over the years. Some good, some very good and some great.

The post 2012 historics I’ve owned and own have been consistently excellent so if I was giving buying advice to a friend, I would suggest they start their search there.

That said, I think too often people fixate on the specific year or model and make erroneous sweeping assumptions based on anecdotal experience with one or two guitars.
of that model or year.

I am somewhat comfortable recommending post 2012 historics because there were a number of significant improvements made to make these instruments that bring them closer to the original Bursts, Goldtops and Customs they seek to emulate.

These new construction techniques together with woods and hardware are shared across all post 2012 “long tenon” historics, True Historics and CCs with the following exceptions
Double carve top that only occurred with the THs
Hide glued top,TH plastics and TH pickup covers which began with the TH line was carried over to post 2016 historics
The most significant exception in my view would be the 2017 and 2018 Brazilian Rosewood historics as this represented the first time Gibson released a Les Paul with all correct species of woods together with the various upgrades made to the historic line since its inception.

Most are aware that for 2019 the additional upgrades: mojotone CTS pots and Luxe Bees.

gary moore 92

Reaction score
own a 59 TH and so far the best Les Paul ever played, and yes i owned other custom shop les pauls. the craftmanship is superb on it and if you like the extra featueres and looks its totally worth it. the transparency in sound is also a big bonus. havent heard anything comparable unless TH.

rogue3

Reaction score
Holy cats! This thing was magical. Played like butter, resonated like a bell, & around 8lbs.

So, for a guy that has no interest in historical accuracy, or obtaining a collectors item, but just ran across a guitar that played better than any other Les Paul I've tried in 30 years, is it worth it to shell out this kind of dough?
Fiji plantation mahogany can be very light. Doesn't necessarily translate into a great sounding electric guitar,imo.But the wood is pretty.
I like light Swamp Ash on my Teles.But all for the feel and the sound not plugged in,when noodling casually.and the comfort.They sound great electrically,but that has as much to do with the neck(maple) and the pickups as the type of wood.

Sometimes those light ringers can be overly bright plugged in, dogs in my book, no pickup can change them.The trick is,which ones are they?...because often,pots and pickup change can temper bright tone.

Sounds like it was set-up right, with a nice neck.Plug it in and let her wail,to find out the true nature of the beast.

I'm sorry,but no,not worth the dough in my book.Still,nice guitars.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that in 2015 there were two versions of the RIs. The Standard Reissue and True Historic. There was an up-charge on the True Historic, which had period correct plastics and I don’t remember if there was anything else (maybe hide glue). However, the 2019 GC RI lineup has all that without the up-charge. On a side note, R8s used to be $2,000 cheaper than R9s and R0s, but they are all the same price now.
This gives a bit more info direct from the source , take the time to read it ,,,,

Subterfuge

Reaction score
own a 58 TH and tried a 60th Anniv. 1959 LP a couple weeks ago ... top carve on 60th was IMHO miles ahead of the TH, neck on 60th was heavenly .. the only area I felt the TH crushed the 60th was the quality of the finish . back, sides, top etc . TH paint/finish is still way better than the current 60th offerings

Gold Tone

Reaction score
own a 58 TH and tried a 60th Anniv. 1959 LP a couple weeks ago ... top carve on 60th was IMHO miles ahead of the TH, neck on 60th was heavenly .. the only area I felt the TH crushed the 60th was the quality of the finish . back, sides, top etc . TH paint/finish is still way better than the current 60th offerings
Your observations are likely similar to mine and many others whom have compared guitars

There are details unrelated to build attention to detail that are purely personal preference (top carve, neck shape) and details that are directly related to build quality and attention to detail (finish)

Top carve and neck shape of TH is similar to many vintage Les Pauls and equally dissimilar...as is the 60th Ann, since original varied quite a lot...none are “miles above” any other.

My TH top carve is very similar to my 2018 R8 which are both rather deep. Other TH are not quite so deep...both equally represent the era of Les Paul they are emulating