So I accidentally played a 2015 True Historic the other day.

bridger

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Recent trip to the "big City" ..stopped in to a guitar store with a healthy amount of new & used Lesters. I just pointed at a few hanging on the wall & asked to try 'em out. A couple Lemon Bursts (neck was too thin), must've been an RO? Pulled down an R-7, played great but damn, that thing was heavy! Then tried a sunburst :oops: ! Holy cats! This thing was magical. Played like butter, resonated like a bell, & around 8lbs.
I asked the salesperson what's up? "oh, thats a True Historic we just got in" 5k + :(. I got the story on these on how they are an exact clone of an original '59 down to the "molecular level" etc.
So, for a guy that has no interest in historical accuracy, or obtaining a collectors item, but just ran across a guitar that played better than any other Les Paul I've tried in 30 years, is it worth it to shell out this kind of dough?
What sayeth thou proud owners of True Historics?

RAG7890

Reaction score
I don't own a TH because there is too much BS (molecular level :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:) about this model IMHO & I prefer my Replicas but if you find a great Les Paul that speaks to you, I'd certainly buy it................IMHO.

Doesn't matter what the Guitar is, if you happen to think it's the best you have played, then maybe you should think about it. Also, they may sell it to you for a lower price vs. sticker price.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I don't know much about guitars but I bought a TH a few years ago as my first Les Paul .. I have no idea how much it weighs but it has always felt heavy to me, I picked up a Gibson BFG ? the other day and it felt like it was made of Balsa wood in comparison .. I know that's probably not a lot of help ..

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you lie awake in your bed until 3-4:00 in the morning thinking about this guitar, just buy it.

Same thing happened to me with a '96 R6. When I decided to buy it, it had sold. Fortunately for me it turned up again a year later at another shop. You may not be as lucky.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Isn’t “True Historic” a name Henry slapped on the 2015s cause he ran out of “this year is really REALLY the closest we’ve ever come” to a real 59?

There are good and bad Historic Les Pauls from every year.

ARandall

Reaction score
Whilst the TH might have been the most accurate they'd been until then, they are still not overly accurate - especially given the marketing blurb you have been fed.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
It's amazing what marketing can do. LPs with the True Historic switch plate and special COA command $5-8K, when every R9 after that is made with the exact same specs, and you can find them for $4K and sometimes less used.

But honestly $5K is not a bad price for a True Historic R9 - just search for them on Reverb and you'll see they go for even more. If it's in excellent to mint condition and really speaks to you on a sound and playability level, I say go for it.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Well, I’m in the minority. I felt in 2015 as I do now that the True Historic run were outstanding Les Pauls. Worth every penny and stand out as a highlight in Gibson’s history

They also carry the weight of the previous and now “removed” custom shop team. So much talk of Henry behind the TH when it was Edwin’s baby and dream come true of finally being “allowed” to give us all the things we asked for.

Frickin nit pickers

True Historic, True Gem

GearHo

Reaction score
Here we go, the good wood years when the old regime knew how to make them.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
OP , I own a 2015 TH ..2nd best LP I have ... To answer your question , YES(buy it before someone else does) if it works for you ... Why pass on the best LP you've ever played ..For something less ?? $$$ isn't always the point .... It sure helps , but , but ,it isn't /shouldn't be the only factor involved ....
A fine guitar will always be better for you as your player .... A lessor guitar will make you work for getting what the better guitar gives you ....naturally . And you will never be has happy with it ,now that you know better could have been had .
It's the luck of the draw when everything comes together in a guitar build on mass produced guitars ...
I'll take a FUGLY great guitar over a beauty queen guitar ,,every day ...

I've haven't watched pricing on these for a while and 5K for a 4 year old guitar is a lot and over priced ..
But read what you wrote in your OP ... No brainer to me ....(Smells like LOVE )
Mine also "rings like a bell" which can be amazing when doing a side by side comparison of LP's . .
And it's 7lbs.10/11oz's ... .

DanD

Reaction score
TH was Customs' baby. Edwin and crew finally got the approval from upper management to get the plastics, pup covers, frets, finish and some other minor details right. This was an expensive and time consuming process even for Gibson.

What Edwin and team didn't do was pricing and marketing. Marketing wanted one top tier Historic model, True Historic, and one lower tier model with a short tenon called 'CS'.

The faithful and the dealers were up in arms over this arrangement. Dealers wouldn't order short tenon CS models and buyers wouldn't buy the CS models. So Gibson pretty much undercut their new premier model (most likely due to the company's stressed bottom line) by providing '14 spec R models thru '15.

Bad timing and bad marketing (price gouging anyone?) For the new TH models left a lot of dealers and consumers out in the cold. Many dealers dropped Gibson altogether at this time. Most due to Gibsons' dealer policies which were brutal but the TH pricing must have compounded issues as every dealer wasn't even allowed to carry TH unless they were top tier Gibson dealers.

I think Gibson wanted TH to be like Masterbuilt Fenders and CS to be like the team built guitars but I think the Gibson marketing team missed the boat by not having a mid-level alternative.

In essence by providing '14 spec Rs they did have that mid- level but the customer got lost and confused along the way.

Meanwhile, Gibson continued to have financial problems that were not due to TH but rather Henry's bad business moves.

We give Henry a lot of shit around here but Fender did the same thing and is still finacially hurting from their over expansion into musical companies.

As far as winners and losers the customer came out ahead as all but a few TH improvements came on the new R models.

The pup covers and plastics remain. The love or hate lower frets were nixed along with the labor intensive hand sanded finishes and the double carved necks and tops that were used to maintain closer tolerances to the original guitars being copied.

The double carve neck and top were also used on the CCs and I feel they were effective at bringing the CCs closer to the originals they copied. Earlier CC models had neck specs all over the place depending on who made that neck. Later TH CCs varied far less.

Last edited:

PauloQS

Reaction score
My understanding is that in 2015 there were two versions of the RIs. The Standard Reissue and True Historic. There was an up-charge on the True Historic, which had period correct plastics and I don’t remember if there was anything else (maybe hide glue). However, the 2019 GC RI lineup has all that without the up-charge. On a side note, R8s used to be $2,000 cheaper than R9s and R0s, but they are all the same price now.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I wouldn't care how accurate it was. If it made me feel that way and I could afford it I would get it.