So how humid does it have to be?

Eball92

Reaction score
I just got a Gibson acoustic, which i love, but it comes with the side issue of dealing with it in the dryer winter months. Its starting to get nicer out now, but there is still definitely some dry air left yet. So how humid do I have to keep it? Currently my kitchen is sitting at 52% humidity, and upstairs where I am is at 32% Is this an acceptable range? Currently the guitar is residing in its case in my closet, I do not have any sort of humidifier up here at the moment. However, I've read before you should never leave a guitar anywhere you wouldnt want to be left, such as a hot/cold car, so would I know if its too dry in here by how I feel? e.g. dry skin, chapped lips, nose bleeds etc.

I dont experience any symptoms of dry air in my home during the winter, not that I'd leave my guitar out in the winter, I just dont want it to fall apart.

Also, I know I mentioned about the hot car thing, but Im going to be starting guitar lessons in may, which means lugging my guitar with me. I do contract work which is mostly in air conditioned environments, so which would be more risky to the health of the guitar(an epiphone LP for the record), sitting in the car while I work, perferably with it in the shade, or inside where the public may be able to get their hands on it while my backs turned? Of course, I may be answering my own question here, but opinions are appreciated :thumb:

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a Gibson J-185 that I bought while living near the beach.

I bought it in 2005, I think. I moved to the high desert in 2008.

This year I noticed long cracks in the lacquer had begun to form.

So yeah, dry climates will effect your guitar. If you don't want this happening, I'd suggest an aftermarket humidifier.

That's my advice on a lacquer-finished guitar. I've seen several poly-finished guitars up here, and I've yet to see any checking or cracks on them.

Frogfur

Reaction score
I don't know what you see as an issue. Put a humidifier inside it in the case and forget about it.I use a green weenie, which I just submerge in distilled water for 30 seconds or so, wipe off the outside, and put it in the sound hole.
Guitar goes back in case and that controlled humidity lasts for quite sometime if the case is not opened.

if you get it in and out, more frequently. Works for me.

Eball92

Reaction score
what the hell is a greenie weenie? I know I certain regret googling it....

Its my first real wood acoustic, so Im looking for some reassurance that its not going to split wide open the next time I open the case, its a my nightmare right now basically

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 to 50% average is fine. That's what I keep my Martins, Guilds and Santa Cruz at. I've had no problems, no cracks, no checking here in AZ. I've had some of my gits for 23 years now.

I think my gits sound better at 30% ambient than 50% ambient humidity.

Eball92

Reaction score
Do you keep a humidifer in the case with them? or do you just humidify your house with central air?

Ive seen alot of people putting sponges in ziploc containers with hoels in the lid in the case, but Id be worried about spilling

captainbraindamage

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gets pretty dry here, I like to keep mine in the low to mid 40's. I have a cheap hygrometer in all the acoustic cases. I use the homemade sponge and soap dish and a herco humidifier in each. When I got my D-18 out tonight it was 44%.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRAy-a-2bps[/ame]

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Is it an Epi Les Paul or an acoustic?

I wouldn't worry about the Paul so much, but an acoustic is another story, because the inside is not finished.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Do you keep a humidifer in the case with them? or do you just humidify your house with central air?

Ive seen alot of people putting sponges in ziploc containers with hoels in the lid in the case, but Id be worried about spilling

For the last 8 months I've been humidifying the closet they're in, in one of the bedrooms. They're inside their cases. I have a Radio Shack electronic hygrometer on the closet shelf. I leave the humidifier on low all day and turn it off when I go to bed. If run on high the humidity will go too high. You really have to monitor the HG.
In the middle of the summer when I'm running my AC 24/7 I'll probably have to run the humi on high though.
The HG reads 52% when I go to bed and 38% or so in the morning. I make sure I leave the bedroom door open so it doesn't get too hot in there because the window faces south.

This is the humidifier I use. I got it at Wal Mart for $25 or so.
3166dswHhSL._SL500_.jpg

I also have these inside the cases with a piece of sponge in them. I drilled a few 3/16" holes in each end. I just moistened the sponges a little (not too much) about once a week. These are how I humidified them up until 8 months ago.
canister1x350.jpg

I got mine by getting to know the photo person at Walgreens and she would save them for me. That was years ago. I don't know how many people still shoot film. :thumb:

Eball92

Reaction score
Is it an Epi Les Paul or an acoustic?

I wouldn't worry about the Paul so much, but an acoustic is another story, because the inside is not finished.

the guitar that will be coming with me all day is a les paul, the one Im worried about cracking and drying out is the acoustic, which will stay safely at home

Eball92

Reaction score
Here in Canada THD, Walmart(I know, not walgreens, we dont have walgreens), doesnt even process film anymore, I dont think many places do. certainly not the big places anyway. I will make sure to get a little humidifier and a hygrometer to make sure it stays in good health. Im just worried about the whole, sponge in the case thing, since I dont really havea safe spot for it out of warms way where the container might get jostled

VerbalPuke

Reaction score

Mysicman

Reaction score
I don't know what you see as an issue. Put a humidifier inside it in the case and forget about it.I use a green weenie, which I just submerge in distilled water for 30 seconds or so, wipe off the outside, and put it in the sound hole.
Guitar goes back in case and that controlled humidity lasts for quite sometime if the case is not opened.

if you get it in and out, more frequently. Works for me.

^^^^ This is what I do during winter months and I heat with wood.....minus the weenie :naughty: I use an Oasis but same idea. No issues with my Taylor.

Eball92

Reaction score
I've read a lot of reviews about the oasis leaking, how long have you had yours?

Mysicman

Reaction score
I've read a lot of reviews about the oasis leaking, how long have you had yours?

A couple of years. The key is not to overfill and wait until the crystals have turned to gel ensuring no free water is in tube. It hangs in the sound hole suspended by the strings.

Now my buddy has a dedicated music space and has all his guitars hanging. He uses a good room humidifier and monitors as those above have mentioned. I just don't have the space right now.

Now that the weather is warming up and heat is rarely on she is back on the stand in the living room. 38% now

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Herco case humidifiers.

They are better than diy sponge jobs because they dissipate moisture more evenly and slowly.

And they're cheap.

I would never put a humidifying device inside a guitar. I have seen guitars ruined by leaks (Oasis in particular). Sure maybe it only happens one in a thousand times, but I prefer none in a thousand times safety!

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
Taylor says 45%. That is the standard I use. I also live in the high desert and it can be a PITA to maintain sometimes!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Taylor says 45%. That is the standard I use. I also live in the high desert and it can be a PITA to maintain sometimes!

That is also what I keep my shop at 24/7/365. My own guitars never need adjustments except for wear.

Yes, it's a PITA in the dead of winter. All the windows in the place are just dripping with condensation.

roeg

Reaction score
This past winter i ran a humidifier in the basement music room where i kept my guitars out,ready to play. Its what i wanted> and i did play,a lot.Its all about time.Same type as what thdnut is using(steamer/vaporizer).In the past i've used oasis soundhole humidifiers for the acoustics,and i bought refills after 3 winters with the originals for this past winter,but never used them.

The basement studio was tropical,running on average 50% humidity.I kept the music room warmer than the rest of the house(64F) with a baseboard heater,set to low.This is the first winter both my Martins and my electrics stayed in tune perfectly from day to day.Not even a fraction of a cent's diffence.The guitar necks are the ultimate hydrometers.If your tuning doesn't change,stays perfect,day to day,your humidity and the conditions your guitars are living in is stable...thats what you want.

Now that temperatures are up into double digits,ive shut it down as humidity has stabilized at 45-50%.As the season progresses,it may get higher,in the basement.At which point i will run a de-humidifier,to keep it below 60%.

Mysicman

Reaction score
Herco case humidifiers.

They are better than diy sponge jobs because they dissipate moisture more evenly and slowly.

And they're cheap.

I would never put a humidifying device inside a guitar. I have seen guitars ruined by leaks (Oasis in particular). Sure maybe it only happens one in a thousand times, but I prefer none in a thousand times safety!

Guess I will invest in those for next year :thumb: thanks for heads up.

Mike

Latest Threads