So flooring the Mach E can do what now? about half of all Mach Es are recalled.

Olds442

Reaction score
10 years is not "a few" years.

semantics matter damnit!

PeteK

Reaction score
10 years is not "a few" years.

semantics matter damnit!
Let's be honest. They could invent an electric car that looks great, has a 500 mile range, recharges in 1 minute and the battery lasts for 50 years with no degradation. People would still say "Yeah, but still. We're just not there yet".

Olds442

Reaction score
Let's be honest. They could invent an electric car that looks great, has a 500 mile range, recharges in 1 minute and the battery lasts for 50 years with no degradation. People would still say "Yeah, but still. We're just not there yet".
until MLP gets a nuclear powered F150, they are not going to be happy.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
They're all just big, battery-powered golf carts with pretty sheet metal to me. :dunno:

Acceleration? Oh yeah: I need to get 0-60 in one second while driving around in my hometown. Hell, I'd just use my rocket sled, but there ain't enough tracks hereabouts.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not emotionally invested pro or con towards the devices, and the technology is interesting to me... but only in passing. Like, I just don't think about 'em much, and whether I have some grand, logical reason for my indifference eludes me because I'm so indifferent that I wouldn't pause to wonder why for any longer than it takes for me to shrug.

The only thing that ever occurs to me in a more serious vein when it comes to the subject of e-cars is this:

What are the longer term geopolitical ramifications that may come to pass once billions of people are demanding more of our rare-earth metals than just the little lithium strips we find in small batteries for flashlights and such?

Again I recall what happened in various parts of Africa when platinum was found in great abundance-- right as the platinum catalytic converter came to be designated as standard on US-made automobiles.

It wasn't pretty. Greed is one hell of a drug. And then there's the whole extra demand on the supply of electricity available to the public... like, where's the juice gonna come from? Those batteries don't charge themselves. :hmm:

But all the rest of it-- like the styling and other matters of interest to those who are keeping an eye on this technology?

Man, I'm not down on or dissing anybody who really follows this. Lots of my buddies are following these developments carefully, and I do understand why they find the topic compelling.

I just don't dig it all that much-- again, except for in passing.

I think this is only the second e-car thread I ever even posted in! :laugh2:

--R :p
These are basically all my thoughts on it, with the same level of indifference.
Instead of OPEC, they’ll have whoever has the lithium.
Whoever controls the spice….
People won’t ever go back to having less, or doing less, and that’s the only thing that turns the world around.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Tesla #1

elon-musk-security-clearance.jpg

You let that guy drive your car?
Really?

:dunno:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I wonder what a ten year old EV will be worth. A ten year old ICE can still be worth quite a bit these days.

Good question.

On the Mach E the battery warranty expires after eight years.

Then it's your $25,000 bill if the battery needs replacing. (more than the cost of a new Ford Maverick)

I imagine that with each passing year the value of EV's like the Mach E will plummet much faster than ICE vehicles resulting in throw away parts cars.