So did the tube shortage reach apocalyptic heights?

golfnut

Reaction score
I don't know. When the tube shortage scare started I didn't need any nor bought any I probably don't need any for about a year or more so I didn't stock pile any.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
At the height of the scare, my local amp builder hooked it up with some super super nice nos 12ax7 for my fender champ for like 25 bucks after the stock fender ones failed.

I felt like I was taking advantage of him so I asked him if he was aware of how much these were going for. He said "yes and it's all bs. There's no shortage". Ever since then I stopped worrying

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Scamdemic, for turning somewhat normal people in to sheep and blathering idiots.

Bring back Golden Books for remedial reading for adults!

Start with “ Chicken Little”, “The sky is falling, the sky is falling”!!

Simps!

golfnut

Reaction score
How many of you all bought toilet paper for a virus that was nothing to do with stomach issues......
The last time I bought toilet paper was near the beginning of 2020. I've still got enough for about 6 months yet.
I guess I fear wiping my arse with my hand then I do having to pickup a Fender tonemaster to get me through a gig.

GBLEV

Reaction score
The last time I bought toilet paper was near the beginning of 2020. I've still got enough for about 6 months yet.
I guess I fear wiping my arse with my hand then I do having to pickup a Fender tonemaster to get me through a gig.
I'm taking it that you don't have a shower at your place?

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
They really should go after all the tube hoarders and force them to donate all these tubes, just like the hand sanitizer guys!

smk506

Reaction score
I just picked up a bunch of NOS and new tubes a few weeks ago, paid pricing I thought was fair.

Only problem was I accidentally bought some weird ass tubes thinking they were 6l6gc. Those are going to be a $100 waste but everything else was cheap enough and available enough.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I just picked up a bunch of NOS and new tubes a few weeks ago, paid pricing I thought was fair.

Only problem was I accidentally bought some weird ass tubes thinking they were 6l6gc. Those are going to be a $100 waste but everything else was cheap enough and available enough.
Oops!

Factoring in ebay horders and bidding, I’ve decided buying new pre amp tubes isn’t too bad, at least as far as I’m concerned, especially when needed asap. I suppose old power tubes might be a better deal at times.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
In retaliation for Western sanctions on Russian oil, Russia imposed an export embargo on consumer goods. That shut down all exports of New Sensor tubes (which are sold under a large variety of brand names -- half or more of new tubes are made by New Sensor).

That left only JJ as a major supplier. And they're running at full capacity with 18 months of backorders to fill. They have no plans/ability to expand production -- and it would take a year or more if they could expand. Shuguang is still down from their factory fire, Psvane is a tiny company, Western Electric is still months away from producing guitar amp tubes (or longer).

It was by no means assured that Mike Matthews would be able to negotiate resumption of exports. But he did, and the tubes started shipping again.

The crisis would have been very real if Russian officials weren't so easy to bribe.

Given the state of the world, it's optimistic to think tube availability is secure.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Only have one tube amp, I use, and one stored for it's value. Never sold all my NOS, and Old Pulls in preamp, rectifier tubes and 6V6 NOS. 2 Amps are both 6L6, so did buy a few before prics got stupid, Ergo, what I have will last for awhile, as the one amp I use, is just the 1 6L6, and I have 4 spares, plus the 2 in the other amp.

jbash

Reaction score
I didn't panic buy for fear of no more tubes (and I'm not a fan of most New Sensor or the old SINO/Shugang products anyway, so if they stopped production forever, I'm not terribly concerned).

I had needed some new tubes for awhile* and saw what was coming, so I bought out of fear of COVIDiocy pricing. I got in an order for one set of what I use at old prices and once stock came in, the supplier honored the original pre panic prices.

*Tube amps being what they are, I always want to have at least one set of spares for when something dies. It's been that way since tube amps have been a thing- always have spares. I used new production mainly, and most of them are not terribly long lasting, some are way worse than others. 9 times out of a 10 an issue with a tube amp is a tube.

JPummil

Reaction score
Haven't looked around lately for stock. Had purchased a few different 12ax7's a few years back just to tinker with different tones...but don't have any EL34's or 6L6's unfortunately. At least before the embargo, 12ax7's were quite available and affordable!

GBLEV

Reaction score
I haven't bought tubes for about five years, so shrug. People change tubes way too frequently anyway.
That really depends on how much you play using your amp. If you don't play every day, or only play for a few minutes a day, sure, you're not going to go through tubes too fast. But someone who plays for a few hours a day, every day, is going to burn through their tubes much faster and need to swap out more often.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ And many 6V6 amps seem to end up biasing super high even if their overall wattage isn't great. I have a Princeton clone that seems to bias higher than a Deluxe reverb.....and both chew through OP tubes even playing at 2.5 on the volume.
My Phaez 25w JTM also goes through tubes, but thats understandable as setting up to push 25W out of a pair of 6V6 is really stretching the friendship - no matter what volume you actually play at.