So bummed out!

stephan_l

Reaction score
I think Gibson still hasn't figuered out their QA issues. Sad. I've bought 3 Gibsons this year. One i've returned (Explorer), one was barely acceptable (Flying V) and one i've managed to level the frets on my own (LP HP2). Would have also returned the LPHP2 one if it had not been the last new HP2 in my favourite colour available in Germany.
I think so too. Bought 4 Gibson since 2017 and 3 of them had strange flaws (2 Explorer, 1 SG). Only the last one, a 50th Les Paul Standard P90 Goldtop was nearly perfect. May i ask what was wrong with your Explorer?

Sorry, little offtopic :bowdown

Joe, your replacemet looks cool. Have fun with it :wave:

Tweeedman

Reaction score
These things happen daily all around the world since 1952 because Gibson won't reinforce the delicate neck-head angle. It's not bad luck. It's bad manufactoring. And has been that way for 68 years!!!

endial

Reaction score
Nice. Glad you got to pick it out (and got some "depression compensation"). I love wine Lesters, and yours looks sweet. Enjoy!

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
You should’ve gone dumpster diving at GC later that night.

In all likelihood they just threw the guitar away. Not sure if they still do it, but there was a guy On YouTube who would find all kinds of good crap at GC dumpsters. I’m talking a goldtop, boxes of patch cables, lots of goodies.

Unfortunately, GC does what they can to “destroy” the guitar before tossing it. Like take a hammer to it, or break the headstock off. In your case, they may have simply tossed it.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
You should’ve gone dumpster diving at GC later that night.

In all likelihood they just threw the guitar away. Not sure if they still do it, but there was a guy On YouTube who would find all kinds of good crap at GC dumpsters. I’m talking a goldtop, boxes of patch cables, lots of goodies.

Unfortunately, GC does what they can to “destroy” the guitar before tossing it. Like take a hammer to it, or break the headstock off. In your case, they may have simply tossed it.
Nah, I trash dug there regularly for over a decade - it’s all just boxes and the cheap molded cables that come in the Epi boxes. There are instrument liquidators that buy these in bulk. You can find them on eBay - it’s astounding what people pay for a “new” guitar with a Still-broken headstock on eBay these days. More than a minty used one with the repair already completed. Many times the same price or even more than a used one with no break. Plus GC employees don’t make enough money to throw away something like that - no way it EVER makes the trash

Sounds like good video though.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Nah, I trash dug there regularly for over a decade - it’s all just boxes and the cheap molded cables that come in the Epi boxes. There are instrument liquidators that buy these in bulk. You can find them on eBay - it’s astounding what people pay for a “new” guitar with a Still-broken headstock on eBay these days. More than a minty used one with the repair already completed. Many times the same price or even more than a used one with no break. Plus GC employees don’t make enough money to throw away something like that - no way it EVER makes the trash

Sounds like good video though.
His videos are cool. Here’s 2 of his finds:

dspelman

Reaction score
It really wasn't white at all, that's the flash. More of a brownish tan color. I was really kind of surprised when I first opened the box, there really wasn't much packing material at all. Maybe because they ship them inside the case? Hate that this happened on a weekend too, the salesman I dealt with won't be available till Monday.
Cases don't protect against headstock breaks. Come to think of it, most of the breaks I've been eyewitness to have occurred while the guitar was in the case and with the case showing no damage at all. Think of shaking an egg inside a tin can. Or you inside a 50's Cadillac in an accident without a seat belt or airbags. Scrambled.

If you ship a guitar with a Gibsonesque headstock, a case can actually accelerate the breakage.

Latest Threads