So bummed out!

RocketKing

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to see that :eek: I hope you can get it sorted out

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
New replacement on the way! Took the broken one to GC, they were totally cool, and I mentioned that during my depression I shopped the same exact Les Paul at musicians friend, they had it on sale for $300.00 less, so GC gave me a price match. Problem solved and saved $300.00.

Buffalo

Reaction score
please tell me this isn't "should i return my new gibson #3?"
I think Gibson still hasn't figuered out their QA issues. Sad. I've bought 3 Gibsons this year. One i've returned (Explorer), one was barely acceptable (Flying V) and one i've managed to level the frets on my own (LP HP2). Would have also returned the LPHP2 one if it had not been the last new HP2 in my favourite colour available in Germany.

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
So here is my replacement, I'm really happy with it. This is really my first Gibson Les Paul, I had an Epiphone Trad Pro III which I tried out and returned and that's my 2014 LPJ in the background. Neither of them have tone or sustain anywhere near comparable to this one. As far as I am concerned all the comments I have read concerning real Gibson Les Paul tone being superior are true, at least to what little experience I now have with them.
15923928929961068366638758928896.jpg

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
UPS has gotten horrible. Had a Gibson Custom Shop Acoustic delivered and the box was destroyed. I saw the delivery guy's face when he went to get it. All he said was he didn't do it. Thank God it comes in an awesome case. Sorry man, that sucks.

Omegax220

Reaction score
was it shipped by a SEller - if so then he is at fault if it was just cased and shipped - as the headstock should have not been under tension or touching inside the case - you have to pack guitars so that the shippers can play FOOTBALL with them and they will not break - sorry yours broke - but the SELLER maybe 100% at fault - there is no training course at shipping companies or rules that say they have to handle Guitars like eggs - there is a basic rule though that all Items shipped must be professionally packed by the SELLER or Individual who packs them

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
was it shipped by a SEller - if so then he is at fault if it was just cased and shipped - as the headstock should have not been under tension or touching inside the case - you have to pack guitars so that the shippers can play FOOTBALL with them and they will not break - sorry yours broke - but the shipper maybe 100% at fault - there is no training course at shipping companies or rules that say they have to handle Guitars like eggs - there is a basic rule though that all Items shipped must be professionally packed by the shipper
This was new from GC, and even they agreed it was probably due to the tension not being released before shipment like you describe, as when it was puzzled back together the strings seemed as though they were pretty tight.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
If the box fell face flat from a standing position, that would break the headstock without damaging the box.
Or thrown!!

Yes, the head with tuners is very heavy and not supported at all in the case. On top of that, the neck is supported just where it is weakest.

It's like a man falling on his back on a table, with his head over the edge.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
This was new from GC, and even they agreed it was probably due to the tension not being released before shipment like you describe, as when it was puzzled back together the strings seemed as though they were pretty tight.
I bet you anything that’s what caused it. GC and Gibson ship their guitars fully tuned up to pitch, so full tension. Most dealers selling high end Les Pauls that I’ve bought from detune the guitar before boxing up, and it’s something I always do before shipping a guitar and I’ve never had a problem or headstock break. And I’m talking about dozens of Les Pauls. Some people think it isn’t a factor, but it just seems like common sense to me: you drop a guitar in its case on its side from standing position with full tension on the neck, it has to be more prone to snapping than a guitar with no tension on the headstock, especially is there are temperature changes at play too. Why risk it? I just haven’t heard of headstocks snapping during shipping with the strings fully loosened. I’m guessing the reason they ship tuned up is because it keeps their setup in place whereas if you loosen the tension the neck is more likely to move around a bit during shipping and usually needs some adjustment. Anyway sorry to see that but glad you got a new one you like.

jtees4

Reaction score
Sorry, that really sucks...get your $$ back and get another one. Good luck.

nbessie1

Reaction score
If it's a NEW guitar from Guitar Center just take it back to any Guitar Center and return it.

GC sold it, GC packed it and GC has a 45 day return window anyway.

(without any damage to the case, I'd say it is/was a manufacturing problem and ultimately on Gibson...but that's on GC to deal with too).

Charliep

Reaction score
Quite an ugly break! It will probably get totally trashed even tho it is very fixable. I fixed one of my LPs with the Smiley Face . It did not shatter the Black Faceplate like yours and even was almost an invisible repair when I finished fixing it. It is still a great tone monster after 6 years from the repair.

BadPenguin

Reaction score

Wait, GC said that???? That's a load of crap. I have shipped quite a few guitar, standard tuning, and never had that happen. Same with a few dozen or so that I bought. Most arrived perfectly in tune, with the others slightly out. 2 guitars were shipped by GC. Soooo.... bullcrap.

integra evan

Reaction score
That's why I always detune a guitar when I ship it out and make sure the headstock has adequate "support." By "support" I mean not letting it flop around, but you also don't want to overstuff the headstock area, putting pressure on the headstock.
@BadPenguin maybe you've just been lucky.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
New replacement on the way! Took the broken one to GC, they were totally cool, and I mentioned that during my depression I shopped the same exact Les Paul at musicians friend, they had it on sale for $300.00 less, so GC gave me a price match. Problem solved and saved $300.00.

GC owns Musicians Friend.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
No, clearly he should keep it as this is obviously a user error, how could the almighty Gibson be responsible for that?

You haven't been around here long enough to get the Pun he was inferring here!

It's been a long ride for some!

;)

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I don’t know about that, I’ve had a bunch of guitars shipped to me that all arrived in tune and none were broken. I suppose your argument is that a guitar can take much more abuse in shipping if the strings are loosened.

Latest Threads