So......Bob Dylan...

Lannes

Reaction score
My wife had never seen Dylan and it's been about 20 years since I have. We got tickets for the current Americanarama tour with him, Wilco, My Morning Jacket and Bob Weir for last night in Atlanta.

Guess I should have watched some Youtube vids before I got the tickets because....and there's no kind way to say this- Dylan's voice is shot.... I mean, it's gone; unrecognizable. I guess if that's your thing, more power to you, but I've seen no better example of a musician who should retire than I did last night.

My wife was so disappointed. :(

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
That sucks, I'm going to see him saturday and it'll be my first time. I'm not really that big a fan anyway, I just figured I should see him at least once before he calls it quits since he's like a living legend and what not lol.

5F6-A

Reaction score
I saw him about 10 years back and I thought his voice was gone then.... fantastic band though!

Benjammin

Reaction score
thats too bad, but honestly thats why I've neglected to see him the past few times I had a chance

Lannes

Reaction score
That sucks, I'm going to see him saturday and it'll be my first time. I'm not really that big a fan anyway, I just figured I should see him at least once before he calls it quits since he's like a living legend and what not lol.

The other bands- particularly Wilco- were good. Bob Weir sat in with Wilco and they played Dark Star, so that was cool for all the Dead fans.

Overall I wasn't sorry I went. Dylan's band IS good and when he's blowing harp, it would start to get good...then he would start croaking...I mean Tom Waits X 10 croaking.... Apparently he's having breathing problems because he's smoked for forever. He would only say a few words at a time when singing. Like Tangled up in Blue was waaaaaaay slowed down. Like this-

Early one morning................the sun was shining...................I was..........laying in bed.........Wondering if.........................she'd changed at all....................If her hair................................was still red.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Too bad I'm not really a Dead fan either lol, luckily I got the ticket for free so I can't complain.

So What

Reaction score
When was his voice ever good?

He can certainly write some great music, but his singing has always been shit.

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
Guess I should have watched some Youtube vids before I got the tickets because....and there's no kind way to say this- Dylan's voice is shot.... I mean, it's gone; unrecognizable. I guess if that's your thing, more power to you, but I've seen no better example of a musician who should retire than I did last night.

Oh come on, it's Dylan!

TheWelder

Reaction score
I'm going to this show in St. Paul on July 11th. I heard that Weir is no longer going to be doing the show (he was just 'sitting in' for the first four stops) so that is kind of a bummer.

Regarding Dylan, I've seen him two times, and both times were very different from one another. The first time I saw him was pretty bad - his voice was really pretty aweful that night and he seemed to mail in his performance. The arrangements of the songs were strange - many of them were played with different tempos and even in different keys from the original recordings. Then I saw him with Paul Simon a few years later and he was much better - he played electric guitar, sang well, projected well, and he and his band rocked the house. He played the Hendrix version of 'All Along the Watchtower' and he took the guitar solo and I was really impressed with his ability to solo (you never think of Dylan as a great guitar player but I can attest that he is really solid when he wants to be).

My point is that he has always been known as a fairly inconsistent performer. Some nights are great, while others...not so much. And it can very night to night on the same tour. So while your experience with him was subpar it wouldn't surprise me if the next night he blew the roof off the place - that is just kind of how he rolls, and since he is Dylan ain't no one gonna tell him otherwise.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Am I the only dude that digs blown out vox Dylan? Together Through Life is aces

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TbmP2vXeQs]Bob Dylan - Beyond Here Lies Nothin' - YouTube[/ame]

gadafi

Reaction score
Maybe he had a cold....

I saw him 25 years ago, think he had a cold then as well.

Hell I'm pretty sure he has a cold on most of his albums as well.

He must be susceptible to colds.

Victek

Reaction score
His strength was always as a song writer

Yes, he wrote a lot of great music, but when I wanted to listen to it I mostly dialed in Joan Baez, The Birds and others who did covers.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
So... I just got back from seeing Dylan, gotta say I wasnt that impressed. I guess I just don't "get" him or whatever, even though he's a legend in his own time etc etc. The only song he played that I'd even heard of is All Along The Watchtower, and even that was barely recognizable lol.

milkjam

Reaction score
the last time his singing was any good was on the Rolling Thunder Review which i guess was early 70's.
i saw him in 95 or 96 at Pheonix festival where he followed Tricky which is why festivals can be so cool. he was being "enigmatic" that day but he's BOB DYLAN for cryin' out loud.
he's never really been a singer and he can barely play the harmonica or the guitar for that matter. getting old really must suck and i guess that anyone who sees him these days would be hard pressed to "get" him. i thought he sucked back at Pheonix and he's made nothing of interest to me since the 70's...BUT...in my opinion, he fully deserves his status as a legend and an icon. some of his writing is just genius. but yeah sometimes maybe it's better to remember the greats as they were in their prime rather than see them expose their frailties in their twilight years.
as the guy in front of me at the Pheonix festival kept shouting in between songs...

"WE LUV YA BOB !!!!"

Victek

Reaction score
sometimes maybe it's better to remember the greats as they were in their prime rather than see them expose their frailties in their twilight years.

I expect it's difficult for performers to see when it's time to stop - can't blame them for wanting to keep doing what they love. Unfortunately if they don't stop they risk being unappreciated, especially by younger listeners who didn't experience them at their best. I'm remembering a rude comment on a youtube video directed at a truly great performer who is starting to lose it in old age. Clearly that person didn't understand the performer's legacy.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
I was still glad I got to see him, even if I didnt know the songs. Kinda blows my mind that I'm 40 years old, and one of my all time heroes Hendrix, was dead and buried before I was even born, and this dude was HIS hero, and he's still out there doin it.

milkjam

Reaction score
i felt the same when i saw him. i knew we weren't going to get all the best stuff nor even a fantastic performance. what can you expect for an hour, late afternoon between Tricky and Faith no More. it didn't really matter. that's BOB freakin' DYLAN up there.
basically he played the "mtv unplugged" set. still way better than Van Morrison who seemed to hold us all in contempt.

Latest Threads