So...am I not a fan of pick guards on some Les Pauls is this cheating ...

Dave's not here

Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of having pick guards on these Customs.

1615039141850.png

1615039179001.png

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are both '50s design ideas, so why not?
Oh it’s quite a bit different than putting plastic on your couch as you say. Although I get the attempt at humor.

You see this plastic protection I can take on and off at well when I play the guitar to see them in their true beauty. I’m pretty sure grandma’s plastic couch doesn’t ever get experienced in its natural beautiful floral pattern.

It does make me wonder if somebody has put expel clear bra over the entire guitar?

Last edited:

vlxerdon

Reaction score
Whatever makes your boat float. Me, I like the pick guard.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't touch the body with my picks. I do at times move from heel anchor to last two fingertips anchor below strings for some things... My Goldie is turning there from it... I like honest wear on a guitar...

I prefer no pickguard on my Lesters... I find them in my damn way.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Whatever makes your boat float. Me, I like the pick guard.
As stated earlier, I agree with the opine of being "pro-pickguard". But, let's keep it real, a pickguard only covers a very small amount of the guitar, and it is ONLY a guitar. Some of the "anti-pickguard" crowd infer some kind of crazy blasphemy as if we are debating throwing a tarp over Michelangelo's "Pieta".

PauloQS

Reaction score
As stated earlier, I agree with the opine of being "pro-pickguard". But, let's keep it real, a pickguard only covers a very small amount of the guitar, and it is ONLY a guitar. Some of the "anti-pickguard" crowd infer some kind of crazy blasphemy as if we are debating throwing a tarp over Michelangelo's "Pieta".

I’m a pickguard off guy, but I have to agree. Yes I like the cleaner look of a LP without a pickguard. I also prefer to add that small additional view of the top than have it covered by plastic. Mine has some mineral streaks that I find cool that would’ve been hidden under the pickguard if I left it on. However, having the pickguard on isn’t a sin against the gods of aesthetics. If you like pickguards, great, if you don’t, that’s great too, if you’re on the fence on your guitar just do a rotation between on and off every week or month or any time period.

Elangomat

Reaction score
I took my pick-guard off when I first got my Paul, but recently I made a stainless steel one in the shop, and might actually keep it. It just looks amazing. But yes the plastic ones never really look good, and they don’t do anything.

Gitter

Reaction score
I like both but prefer "on" with most classic finishes and bursts. I don't think you should have to commit to either way exclusively.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time I saw an LP with two pickguards as Barry Gibb's

BH4YV5SCYAESrGS.jpg

DBDM

Reaction score
I have no pickguards on my current LPs. Plastic picks really are not the culprits in scratching, by the way. Fingernails do the scratching.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
... LP with two pickguards...
Oh, dear God!
I’d love to hear the story behind THAT idea.

On second thought?
Maybe not.

Zylo

Reaction score
Oh, dear God!
I’d love to hear the story behind THAT idea.

On second thought?
Maybe not.
Simple really
As it’s a Gibson thing
You get twice the tone as you now have two pick guards not one

Zylo

Reaction score
Or maybe it’s for people who can’t decide whether they want a Flying V or a Lp
So you make a lp look like a Flying V!

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
It depends on the guitar.

I will say that the argument of using a pickguard for actual protection is completely silly.

Whats worse, some scratches on the finish? Or two holes drilled in it (not to mention the bracket often leaves a mark as well)?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
... two holes drilled in it ...
I put the screws back in the hole.
One, I know where they are.
Two, to me, it beats having empty holes.
Three, you can make up all kinds of stories.

“What is that screw for?”

Oh, that is an adjustment for (make up random tales…)

Or tell them, “Oh, that one screw holds the whole damn thing together! Don’t touch it.”

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tape hardware to the back of pickguards, cavity screws taped to back of control plate etc... I don't lose screws....

On Fender style saddles, I have bags of grubs... Any questionable grub gets replaced but I rake it lengthwise across a block of beeswax before inserting in saddle... Tightens it a bit in threads and prevents oxidation....

Latest Threads