So...am I not a fan of pick guards on some Les Pauls is this cheating ...

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Depends on your playing style. Many manufacturers don't have pickguards on their guitars. How many scratched up PRS have you seen?

Well that’s just because most PRS owners aren’t players. Shots fired. Wait .....I own and have owned PRS guitars.

It can definitely be a playing style thing. I pick pretty aggressively and have scratched my guitars a little bit. Still it’s a pretty long way off getting to the bare wood!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For some reason "Static" didn't compute as non adhesive to me! I fuss over my guitars as well but I think I would still be concerned if something happened due to applying the sheet or taking it off.

Knowing my luck I would cause damage in the hopes of protecting my guitar!

come on now nitro finish is not that fragile ha ha!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've gotten plenty of nasty stickers off nitro finished guitars. Nitro will clean the residue off. However your guitar may have faded around the sticker. Buffing with a drill and polish a few times can do wonders though.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Not anymore. They switched to all nitro recently. I want to say 2018.

You’re one year off, it was sometime in 2019, although a lot of 2019 PRS are still their proprietary poly. The thing with PRS nitro is that it is only the top coat that is actually nitro. They call it Nitro over Cellulose. It’s the same principle of the nitro top coat over thin poly Fender uses.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
It can definitely be a playing style thing. I pick pretty aggressively and have scratched my guitars a little bit. Still it’s a pretty long way off getting to the bare wood!
This is a pic of my Kalamazoo '79 SG Standard that was main guitar for decades, and I am a fairly aggressive player. After all of that, there is only the pick rash there between the two pups (although, the bridge & tailpiece were replaced a few times, though). Personally, I think that "clear plastic pickguard" is only for special, very expensive guitars that you still want to play but keep perfectly pristine -- any other guitars, just play 'em for God's sake. Otherwise -- to me -- it is like putting floor mats in your new car OVER the OEM floor mats.

1NYtMoB.jpg

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes it’s being used on my new M2M. If the guitar wasn’t jet black I probably wouldn’t worry about it but black scratches if you breathe on it

Gitter

Reaction score
PRS have a poly finish, don’t they? That would make them more durable.
PRS switched to nitro last year but the point was there are plenty of expensive guitars out there without pickguards. Yes, poly is more durable, but if you're playing style causes scratches or hazing on nitro it's going to likely do the same on poly. I'm personally more concerned with the nut on the back of the pickguard leaving an impression from being too close to the finish.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I’ve always been worried to take the pickguard off. Doesn’t the guitar get scratched?
if you play like pete townshend, then sure.
if you keep your palm on the strings, and just move your finger, rather than moving your elbow, then you wont scratch your guitar.

SG_Lefty

Reaction score
Not a fan either... I usually take them off.

JonnySledge

Reaction score
This is a pic of my Kalamazoo '79 SG Standard that was main guitar for decades, and I am a fairly aggressive player. After all of that, there is only the pick rash there between the two pups (although, the bridge & tailpiece were replaced a few times, though). Personally, I think that "clear plastic pickguard" is only for special, very expensive guitars that you still want to play but keep perfectly pristine -- any other guitars, just play 'em for God's sake. Otherwise -- to me -- it is like putting floor mats in your new car OVER the OEM floor mats.

1NYtMoB.jpg
What analogy would you use to describe that faux vibrato cover?

wully

Reaction score
I prefer a LP with the guard on. It’s handy to rest my pinky on sometimes.. sometimes they look ok with the guard off, but I think mine would always be on..

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a three pickup Black Beauty with a Bigsby.
The pick guard is part of it.
It’s a very ornate guitar.

No pick guard on any of my other Les Pauls.

Well, my Les Paul Special has one.
But it’s a flat top, so it’s a different story.

Last edited:

Cory

Reaction score
Pickguard on all day every day

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I like the pick guards on my Les Pauls. It doesn’t affect my playing, such as it is, and I like the aesthetic. But, everyone should do what makes them happy.

Latest Threads