So...am I not a fan of pick guards on some Les Pauls is this cheating ...

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... That's cheating.

But it does look really sweet without one.

dscottyg

Reaction score
I’ve always been worried to take the pickguard off. Doesn’t the guitar get scratched?

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Plenty of gouged into wood Les Pauls where a pickguard would have been says yes if you're the type.

Gitter

Reaction score
I’ve always been worried to take the pickguard off. Doesn’t the guitar get scratched?
Depends on your playing style. Many manufacturers don't have pickguards on their guitars. How many scratched up PRS have you seen?

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The truth is you can get most of scratches out with a good Maguires fine cut polish and I microfiber towel. But I just assumes avoid scratching it all together ha ha.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I'd be concerned with what happens if years later you want to remove that clear vynl. Will parts of it stick or leave residue? I agree LP's and most guitars tend to look better without pickguards though. I would just remove the guard and leave it at that.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I have an acoustic a BC Rich Warlock and Jackson V that don't have pickguards and they are all fine and look better without a guard.

Leee

Reaction score
On a flat top like a Junior or Special?
Sure, maybe.

But on a Real Deal carved top Les Paul?
With the strings that high above the lower body?
Not in my world.
That’s why I finally started leaving them off.

Leee

Reaction score
I'd be concerned with what happens ... years later ...
Pull the toggle washer off a pristine 20 year-old LP and see how obvious the shape of it is compared to the surrounding finish.

I wouldn’t stick anything on a nitrocellulose finish.

Reminds me of the bra that people were putting on the front of their new cars 30 years ago to protect the finish.
They DESTROYED the finish.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pull the toggle washer off a pristine 20 year-old LP and see how obvious the shape of it is compared to the surrounding finish.

I wouldn’t stick anything on a nitrocellulose finish.

Reminds me of the bra that people were putting on the front of their new cars 30 years ago to protect the finish.
They DESTROYED the finish.
I remove it after playing. It’s not staying on when not being played. I think it would take a significant amount of time to react, but I’m not talking chances.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd be concerned with what happens if years later you want to remove that clear vynl. Will parts of it stick or leave residue? I agree LP's and most guitars tend to look better without pickguards though. I would just remove the guard and leave it at that.
Its not sticky, and has no adhesive.

Leee

Reaction score
I don’t see a downside.
Static will hold it in place?

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don’t see a downside.
Static will hold it in place?
Ya it stays completely in place and comes of with no effort. It’s similar to those plastic removable sticker books that kids use.

It doesn’t seal to the guitar body bubble free and completely transparent like say an adhered clear acoustic guitar pick guard, although you can get pretty close.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Depends on your playing style. Many manufacturers don't have pickguards on their guitars. How many scratched up PRS have you seen?
PRS have a poly finish, don’t they? That would make them more durable.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Its not sticky, and has no adhesive.
For some reason "Static" didn't compute as non adhesive to me! I fuss over my guitars as well but I think I would still be concerned if something happened due to applying the sheet or taking it off.

Knowing my luck I would cause damage in the hopes of protecting my guitar!

Leee

Reaction score
They switched to all nitro recently. I want to say 2018.
I did not know this.
Went to the PRS website.
Switch happened during the 2019 run.
I B Dang.

Website says that they cannot determine which guitars got which finish in 2019, so treat them all as nitro.

“This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production.”

Latest Threads