So 10's It Is Then

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I use Daddario 9-46 (Super Light Top/Regular Bottom), the yellow pack EXP125. This is so I get 9's on the bendy strings and 10's for my nice hard rhythm which I think this is the best of both worlds.

You may not even need a new setup if you do this.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel like strings are quite expensive here in New Zealand. The single packs I buy come out at just under US$9, however I usually by them in the triple packs which are US$20. Occasionally you can find decent bulk deals - what's the average price for a pack of strings in the States?
I can get the DR Blues for $5.99 with free Prime shipping from Amazon. I've also purchased 3 packs of EB Slinky for $9.99. In local stores, average price is $7 for "normal" strings.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel like strings are quite expensive here in New Zealand. The single packs I buy come out at just under US$9, however I usually by them in the triple packs which are US$20. Occasionally you can find decent bulk deals - what's the average price for a pack of strings in the States?
12-packs of Ernie Balls on Amazon for $47, (buy 10 get 2 free), or 6-packs for $25, 3 for $15.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Gib Brite Wires 10s on all my Lesters...

Now who's getting busted in the mouth?

dro

Reaction score
Rotosound The only string that I could actually hear the difference. Have talked to those who don't like them. These are also people who say Marshall amps let you hear your mistakes more clearly. Rotosound also been offering extra first string on electric sets as long as I have been using them.. I rarely break a string any more but its nice to have them.

If you don't want to hear your mistakes, " THEN STOP MAKING THEM "

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never known anyone other than bass players who used Rotosounds. Wasn't even aware they made guitar strings.

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a mixture on mine and have used myriad different gauges and strings from all the major brands over the last 30-odd years!

My old six-string Ovation acoustic has 11 to 53 in 80/20 bronze, Elixir Nanoweb and I've been very impressed with them. They have the right tone for that particular guitar and the longevity has been great (although they're due for replacement now). I was sufficiently impressed to start to transition all my guitars to Elixir.

Two of my Strats (ST57 and ST62) are on 9s for playability, the third Strat (ST54) and the Tele (ST52) are on 10s, for a bit more oomph and slide when I want to. I used to have 12s (sometimes heavier) on the ST54 Strat in full-time open-E but I've drifted away from that of late, although the Tele often still lives in open-E. All have now transitioned to various versions from Elixir (Nanoweb / Optiweb) and I'm very happy with them: feel good, very playable, very good longevity.

I know coated strings can still be a bit of a contentious issue but, for me, I don't get to play them all as much as I would like and I don't want to pick one up and discover that I need to do a string change. It's a balance between the pros and cons, I admit, but overall coated strings work for me.

I put 9s on my Trad for it's first setup and re-string when it was new but, like many, found that I just couldn't quite get them to settle and they just felt a little too loose in the shorter scale. I worked it out in the end but at the last re-string I put 10s on both Lesters (having acquired the 2014 Standard in the meantime) and although I noticed the subtly increased string weight and tension, it's fine and I'm happy with it. I guess I might try 9s again at some point. Neither of these has Elixir yet but I think that's where I'm headed when the next changes are due -- although I do still have several packs of other things like DR Pure Blues nickel kicking around that I'll use first.

The Standard currently has Ernie Ball cobalt strings on it and while the sound is pretty good, the tactile experience was just odd; they've always had a sort of matt-finish to them that's just difficult to move around on. I wanted to try them but I suspect that they are a big part of why I don't get on with that guitar was well as I ought to! I'll see if a change helps...

I put a set of 11s on my Squier-Mini and it set up nicely... standard tuning on the short scale works just fine.
Interesting you should say that, I was going to ask what folks do with the very short-scale necks of three-quarter guitars!

My daughter has a Squier Mini and is slowly learning her way around it. I bought it used for a very good price and it's a fun little instrument with some pretty good Strat tones (especially considering what it is) but I put 9s on it when I did the first clean and setup and very rapidly realised my mistake!

Sure, it works just fine tuned up a tone to F# but it really needs heavier strings to compensate for the short scale. I was thinking of going to 10s as a first alternative.

grumphh

Reaction score
I wonder if the "fat string guys" have to compensate for the fact that a lot of them are to weak to play a proper weight LP?

integra evan

Reaction score
I'm really digging the D'Addario XL strings (EXL110). I can get 3 packs for $10 at my local-to-work Music & Arts store on my lunch break.

dro

Reaction score
I've never known anyone other than bass players who used Rotosounds. Wasn't even aware they made guitar strings.
[/QUOTE
I didn't either till I was surfing the Net one day So I got a few sets and been playing them ever since. Give 'em a shot.
I don't buy guitars from a furniture store. So I buy strings from a company that, that's all they do.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
You can try 11’! But I use 12 a lot! Just half to get you hand built up to them.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting you should say that, I was going to ask what folks do with the very short-scale necks of three-quarter guitars!

My daughter has a Squier Mini and is slowly learning her way around it. I bought it used for a very good price and it's a fun little instrument with some pretty good Strat tones (especially considering what it is) but I put 9s on it when I did the first clean and setup and very rapidly realised my mistake!

Sure, it works just fine tuned up a tone to F# but it really needs heavier strings to compensate for the short scale. I was thinking of going to 10s as a first alternative.
I think 10s will be just fine for her to learn with.
The things supposedly work best tuned to G, but that makes it a PITA to play along with anything, and the sole purpose of mine is to have near my desk to grab quickly when I want to try something on a YT video, so I need at least standard tuning, if not, tuned down a bit, or even DADGAD.

For scale differences... Gibson is a bit shorter than Fender, the Brian May "Red Special" is exactly the same as if you capo a Fender at the first fret and retune, so that scale length is effectively tuned down 1/2 step WRT string tension.
That has a 24" scale length. The Squier-Mini is 22.75", so it is as short again as the Red compared to a Strat, so probably comparable to a Fender tuned down to D-standard.

Interesting thing... As she grows into the guitar, the spacing from the neck pocket to the bridge is the same as a conventional Strat, so you can snag a $40 Amazon neck and bolt it on for a standard scale... not unlike a Jackson Dinky.

Slash'n'Burn

Reaction score
I've been using Rotosounds on my Tele for about 10 years (Hybrid 9's) I can't remember why I moved over to them but I like the feel of them and very happy with the tone. Bought the 10's above for my new Les Paul - I like the new sealed packaging, I've had to throw strings away in the past because they've been sat around for a while and rusted in the old paper 'corrosion inhibiting' envelopes.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gib Brite Wires 10s on all my Lesters...

Now who's getting busted in the mouth?
Found a 5 pack on Amazon and I'ma snaggin' em!

Amazing what they did to for the sound of my PB and Orange marmalade Lester!

Really made it sing... looking forward to getting them in the mail!

pjholland

Reaction score
10's for many years now, on my strats and les pauls. Considered going back to 9's at different times but something told me not to. Guess my hunch was right after reading some of the comments here. Been enjoying the DR Pure Blues as of late, sometimes get Ernie Ball Slinky's or Daddario's.

rock09

Reaction score
I play 8's on my Melody Maker, 9's on Les Paul and 10's on SG. That being said, I enjoy 9's the most. But, I started with this just a couple of years ago, before that it was D'Addario 8's all the time on all of my guitars all my life ( 54 btw ). Les Paul works with all, just needs good set up.

Socrates

Reaction score
See, now I've played nothing but DR on my bass for decades, but I read in here about QC issues and intonation problems with DR guitar strings, so I'm a little leery.

But I have seen @jstarr823 uses them regularly as well as some others, so I'm a bit confused..:dunno:

Are the Pure Blues the exception to the rule?
I've tried 3 sets of DR Pure Blues in 10-46 on my LP and every time ran into intonation issues. Without touching the saddles i would immediately put on EB strings and then intonation is perfect...wanted to like them but just couldnt...wondering if they are just not consistent in manufacturing

My Les Paul Classifieds