So 10's It Is Then

John Cornfield

Reaction score
FWIW-the nut should not require adjustment for 9's vs 10's. The bottom for the string to the top of the first fret is the same distance for a 9 or a 10. Now, the truss rod or the bridge saddles may require a slight adjustment, but not much. But if the nut is cut for 10's, 9's will work in that nut just fine. Maybe even better.

I played 10's for years. At one point, living in rural Appalachia, all I could get locally was 9-42 GHS Boomers. So that is what I used. When I got a 12 pack of 10's and put them on my guitars, I missed both the vintage 60's tones of the 9's and the fact that I could just plain play the 9's for longer. JMHO. I love 9's and particularly love Pure Nickel strings.

My current preference is 9-41, which is even better.

The only way to get better at playing guitar is to practice and play and practice and play and practice and play some more. 9's let me do that easier than 10's. And I need ALL the practice I can get.
I don't get the chord tuning issues and sharpening even with medium pressure with 10's. That's why thought the nut needed cut. I am enjoying the 10's and have just ordered some for the strat to try.

mdubya

Reaction score

Previous favorites and great strings, but I don't think that make them anymore since the Bankruptcy reorganization.

They have a new string supplier now, relaunched in the summer.

In the meantime, I got used the the D'Add 41, 31, 23 wound strings and 42, 32, 24 hurts my precious little finger tips, now. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Seriously, though. I just put an archived set of GVRI's on my Firebird and they were/are fuggin' awesome strings. :dude:

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Previous favorites and great strings, but I don't think that make them anymore since the Bankruptcy reorganization.

In the meantime, I got used the the D'Add 41, 31, 23 wound strings and 42, 32, 24 hurts my precious little finger tips, now. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Seriously, though. I just put an archived set of GVRI's on my Firebird and they were/are fuggin' awesome strings. :dude:
Yeah, I found that out the hard way too!!!

I had just put the new P-90's in my orange Lester and decided for the first time in my life to try the Gibson strings on it.

Me, personally... I was blown away by the sound of them! It's been years since I've been excited about the sound of a string! :laugh2:

They had a springy tone to them that just worked with those P-90's!

Went to get more and they are out of 10's....:mad2: Then I hear Gibson dropped the string making!! :mad2::mad2:

So I settled on some Ernie Ball 10's. They sound like a plain steel string, nothing exciting.

The difference is subtle, but the magic is gone...:(

Nearest thing I can compare it to is like playing electric strings on an acoustic..

They work and sound fine.. You get used to it...

Then you put on the Phosphor bronze.....:drool:

Yeah, it was like that.... I'll miss them now for sure.

Thanks for bringing up such a painful subject!

:laugh2:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score

I buy them all the time...guess if it’s simply old stock...
occasionally I get 10s too....but it’s rare

if I wasn’t neck deep in A build I began last february I’d buy all 15 from amazon...
right now I’m in the awesomest rabbit of my guitar life though

-Chris

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Since mid-sixties, I've been using hybrid 10 for Fender and Gibson scales. The heavier lower E, A, D just feels and sounds better.
Agreed.
I generally run 9s on the Fender scales and that works out fine, but the bass strings just feel too "floppy" on Gibsons, and downright loose when dropped to DADGAD.
Something in a 9-46 might be more ideal.

The thing that gets me is the recent popularity in "balanced tension" strings... they go the other way and run lighter on the bass strings in an attempt to get every string to ~18lbs.

mdubya

Reaction score

I had just put the new P-90's in my orange Lester and decided for the first time in my life to try the Gibson strings on it.

Me, personally... I was blown away by the sound of them! It's been years since I've been excited about the sound of a string! :laugh2:

Went to get more and they are out of 10's....:mad2: Then I hear Gibson dropped the string making!! :mad2::mad2:

So I settled on some Ernie Ball 10's. They sound like a plain steel string, nothing exciting.

Nearest thing I can compare it to is like playing electric strings on an acoustic..

They work and sound fine.. You get used to it...

Then you put on the Phosphor bronze.....:drool:

Yeah, it was like that.... I'll miss them now for sure.

Thanks for bringing up such a painful subject!

:laugh2:
As far as I could tell, GHS was the supplier, so GHS Pure Nickel might be worth a shot.

The D'Addario Pure Nickels have been keeping me happy. I buy in bulk from Just Strings.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
I buy them all the time...guess if it’s simply old stock...
occasionally I get 10s too....but it’s rare

if I wasn’t neck deep in A build I began last february I’d buy all 15 from amazon...
right now I’m in the awesomest rabbit of my guitar life though

-Chris
I'm pretty sure the ones I got were the brite wires.. I remember the orange label.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score

I really am liking the feel and sound of DR "Pure Blues" nickel on my Gibsons

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Personally I like .011's on my Strat and .010's on my LP. Normally I use D'Addario's but I scored a few sets of Gibson 'Vintage Reissues' .011's for half price and I quite like them, guessing this could just be because they're in the older looking packets. Seem to last well and have a nice brightness to them that doesn't die off after a few weeks of playing

Last edited:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
I really am liking the feel and sound of DR "Pure Blues" nickel on my Gibsons
See, now I've played nothing but DR on my bass for decades, but I read in here about QC issues and intonation problems with DR guitar strings, so I'm a little leery.

But I have seen @jstarr823 uses them regularly as well as some others, so I'm a bit confused..:dunno:

Are the Pure Blues the exception to the rule?

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
See, now I've played nothing but DR on my bass for decades, but I read in hear about QC issues and intonation problems with DR guitar strings, so I'm a little leery.

But I have seen @jstarr823 uses them regularly as well as some others, so I'm a bit confused..:dunno:

Are the Pure Blues the exception to the rule?
I've not been using them very long (6 months or so), but have not had any problems with intonation or breakage.
I put a set of 11s on my Squier-Mini and it set up nicely... standard tuning on the short scale works just fine.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not been using them very long (6 months or so), but have not had any problems with intonation or breakage.
I put a set of 11s on my Squier-Mini and it set up nicely... standard tuning on the short scale works just fine.
Here's the thing with quality on the DR Blues... You'll randomly get a string that might buzz or be hard to intonate. Probably one out of every 10 packs has been the average for me. But for quality, tone, and feel... They can't be beat at $5.99 a pack. I try other "boutique" strings and keep coming back to these.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing with quality on the DR Blues... You'll randomly get a string that might buzz or be hard to intonate. Probably one out of every 10 packs has been the average for me. But for quality, tone, and feel... They can't be beat at $5.99 a pack. I try other "boutique" strings and keep coming back to these.
Thanks for the reply.. :cheers:

I'll give them a try!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
But for quality, tone, and feel... They can't be beat at $5.99 a pack. I try other "boutique" strings and keep coming back to these.
I feel like strings are quite expensive here in New Zealand. The single packs I buy come out at just under US$9, however I usually by them in the triple packs which are US$20. Occasionally you can find decent bulk deals - what's the average price for a pack of strings in the States?