So 10's It Is Then

grumphh

Reaction score
009's in D standard for me. On Les Pauls.

Slightly floppy, but sounds great and is easy on the fingers.

Despite what people on the internet like to tell you there is hardly any difference in tone between string gauges - but the way the strings ring out is certainly different - and for me a definite plus.

It does take some adjustment though, and for the first few weeks of going down in gauge chords will be sour :D

Ultimately this discussion is utterly meaningless though, because string gauges and tunings are solely about personal preference, and therefore subjective - and all these topics serve as is for bragging about masculine prowess and wanting to be part of the big boys internet guitar hero club...

rogue3

Reaction score
Changed to 10's and wow! Great tone, great sound, no pitch issues and can play my normal style.
Going way back here,because i've been playing 10's for years, but reflecting on my choice back then...

For chording, i've always found 10's to be more stable.funny how one change in gauge can do that...but there you go.

For lead work,i would have preferred to stay with 9's, but then chords would prove more challenging.The work-around for me if i stayed at 9's,is to play partial chords...2 note partials, with a 3rd note thrown in sometimes.You can physically fret the notes into tune with 9's.:cool2:...but then my training moved me into some serious jazz chording, and notes cannot be out of tune.10's were my compromise back then.Not that i am a jazz player...but i got used to them, and i still keep up some jazz chord facility.Its permenently in my brain,because i learned them so early(starting around 1980).My fingers go automatically to those jazz chord shapes.There is a pattern.;) . So 10's stuck.

Moving from a Les Paul to a telecaster has made me aware of the increased tension(because of the scale length,compared to a Gibby?)...but i seem to be comfortable,so, not rocking the boat gauge-wise.

Last edited:

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait until you try 11s...

View attachment 432271
I'm thinking about it..

Right now I have a hybrid set of 10's on my Studio with a heavier bottom for more girth. It's very bright and cuts through the mix great for live, but I wanted a bit more fullness to it.

Like others, I remember when 10's were a struggle... so maybe I'll try them on the studio next string change..

Deetz to follow! :laugh2:

dro

Reaction score
In the 70's and early 80's played .008's on everything. Moved to .009's and stayed there till around 2002. Reports I've heard have Billy Gibbons playing .007's doesn't seem to bother his tone. But 10's for me. .011" are an acoustic string in my world.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to use 9 hybrids on my Strats and Tele.
Tried the hybrids on my first Les Paul, but those felt like crap mostly due to the Strat's 25 1/2 scale length vs 24 3/4 for the Les Paul, so on went 10's. Then the hybrids started feeling odd so I went with 10's on the Fender's as well.

Now all my solid bodies have 10-46, my archtop 10-52's, and my acoustics, 11-56's.

Stevie Ray Vaughan played 13's ! :eek2:

But then again he had hands like vice grips.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I typically use DR Blues Pure Nickel 10 (which feel like 9s) or 11s (which feel like 10s).

Banastre

Reaction score
I was 9s on my Strat forever, then got a 52RI Tele late 90s, the one with the baseball bat neck, and found I was pushing the strings too much for chords, so went up to 10s. Then after 6 years of that, on two baseball bat-neck Teles I went up to 11s. Feels right and chords right for me. My LP I also use 11s, acquired at around the same time. Recently thought about trying 10s on it, but it just feels and sounds 'right'. The String Sweet Spot for me, if you will.
If you go 11s you may never go back. Beware!!

bungle

Reaction score
10's on a Lester are just right for me.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vic! :applause:

@integra evan thanks for asking! I'm not prone to violence (usually..) :laugh2:

Recommended reading, it's become a cult classic in here!:thumb:

jc2000

Reaction score
Agreed, I have 10's on my LP, 9's just don't feel right. I do however have 9's on my strat because 10's don't feel right. :rofl:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
In the 70's and early 80's played .008's on everything. Moved to .009's and stayed there till around 2002. Reports I've heard have Billy Gibbons playing .007's doesn't seem to bother his tone. But 10's for me. .011" are an acoustic string in my world.
Supposedly Billy has a light hand when picking. Seen that in a couple of places so may be true.

David Grissom says he personally has a heavy picking hand and designed his signature guitar to work with 11s.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
On the Fenders

On the LP

Used to use 10’s across the board but now I figger “why work so hard?”

:iough:

mdubya

Reaction score
FWIW-the nut should not require adjustment for 9's vs 10's. The bottom for the string to the top of the first fret is the same distance for a 9 or a 10. Now, the truss rod or the bridge saddles may require a slight adjustment, but not much. But if the nut is cut for 10's, 9's will work in that nut just fine. Maybe even better.

I played 10's for years. At one point, living in rural Appalachia, all I could get locally was 9-42 GHS Boomers. So that is what I used. When I got a 12 pack of 10's and put them on my guitars, I missed both the vintage 60's tones of the 9's and the fact that I could just plain play the 9's for longer. JMHO. I love 9's and particularly love Pure Nickel strings.

My current preference is 9-41, which is even better.

The only way to get better at playing guitar is to practice and play and practice and play and practice and play some more. 9's let me do that easier than 10's. And I need ALL the practice I can get.