So 10's It Is Then

John Cornfield

Reaction score
I play 9's on my tele and strat.

Tried 9's on my new to me 2003 LP, absolutely horrible and guess if I want to play 9's will need a professional setup to overcome.
Sharp at the nut 1st 3 frets and difficult to play lightly enough not to sound awful.

Changed to 10's and wow! Great tone, great sound, no pitch issues and can play my normal style. Guess it was 10's that were on it when I bought it.

I know a lot of people struggle with 9's on shorter scale and I am now also one.

I don't fancy have the nut adjusted and then not liking the 9's so will stick to the 10's and get used to them.

Attachments

ManicPete

Reaction score
Had 9s on my R8 all last year. Was ok but didn't feel right. Stopped playing so much in the early winter months.

I promised myself I'd get back into it over the holidays as I had a bit of time off. Determined to re-discover the greatest "Live" album of all time: "Live and Dangerous".

But I only had a pack of 10s at home.

With the lack of playing time, it was PAINFUL for a full week. PAINFUL! I had to ration myself and even take rest days. But after the 7th day, holy shit it was magic. Everything sounded right. I had the fingers up to speed and everything just felt right.

Then I got a Hotcake, MXR Delay, OCD, and EHX 720, and holy shit I was off to the races.

There is no better feeling than a Les Paul.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Had 9s on my R8 all last year. Was ok but didn't feel right. Stopped playing so much in the early winter months.

I promised myself I'd get back into it over the holidays as I had a bit of time off. Determined to re-discover the greatest "Live" album of all time: "Live and Dangerous".

But I only had a pack of 10s at home.

With the lack of playing time, it was PAINFUL for a full week. PAINFUL! I had to ration myself and even take rest days. But after the 7th day, holy shit it was magic. Everything sounded right. I had the fingers up to speed and everything just felt right.

Then I got a Hotcake, MXR Delay, OCD, and EHX 720, and holy shit I was off to the races.

There is no better feeling than a Les Paul.
I went through a similar experience when I changed to 11s. There was about a week long adjustment period... and then things felt “normal”.

I’ve tried going back to 10s and even 9s for tonal reasons, and it can’t be done. With 9s my low E kept hitting the bridge pickup’s pole piece, because I was used to the extra tension

ManicPete

Reaction score
I went through a similar experience when I changed to 11s. There was about a week long adjustment period... and then things felt “normal”.

I’ve tried going back to 10s and even 9s for tonal reasons, and it can’t be done. With 9s my low E kept hitting the bridge pickup’s pole piece, because I was used to the extra tension
Do you have to make any adjustments to the guitar if you go up to 11s?

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I tried 9’s and my LP lost tone. Went back to 10’s and with my hands being small, bends were killing me. I changed to hybrid 09-46 and I’ve never looked back. The best of both worlds.

integra evan

Reaction score
All my guitars sport 10s, Fender scale length included.
Except my acoustic. That sports 11s.

JMP

Reaction score
I used 11s for a few years because I thought they were necessary for good tones. Then I tried 10s on my SG in July. 10s rock! So much better FOR ME.

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
I played with 9's for eons until I got into a band again and my hands got stronger and stronger. Eventually, I kept breaking the 9's, particularly the D string funny enough, and switched over to 10's altogether including my Fender guitars. I don't know if there was a change in tone or not (enough gain will cover anything :thumb:) but I knew I wasn't breaking strings nearly as often.

RocketKing

Reaction score
My traditional was set up as new with 009s but didn't like them.
Didn't have enough grip.
I have 010s on ally guitars, Stratocaster included.
Works like a charm

ARandall

Reaction score
I go overseas for cycling for weeks every year. When I get back it's an absolute nightmare for my fingers for the first 4 weeks as they get used to the 11s on both LPs and strats. I've even tuned 1/2 step down for a bit. After I've got back into it the calluses and strength returns and that gauge becomes easy to deal with.

MooCheng

Reaction score
guess a lot is what you get use too
playing acoustics a lot more these days some strung with 13's makes 10's on an electric feel very light

have tried 9's a couple of times but find bends a pre bends get a little pitchy when your not use to 'em and the whole feel thing just doesn't work for me

Though, there are a whole bunch of great players out there making great music using very light gauge strings