Snowbird crash in Kamloops, BC

James R

Reaction score
Apparently a Snowbird has crashed into a home in Kamloops.
The pilot ejected and is alive, but there's reports of at least one fatality.

They canceled the flyover for the Okanagan Valley that was supposed to happen this afternoon due to poor weather, not sure what the forecast was in Kamloops for today, but I sure hope they didn't decide to push the envelope a bit in order for the show to go on.

Olds442

Reaction score
He said two jets took off together and all looked normal as they rose above the airport.

“All of a sudden, one of the planes suddenly went up, straight up, quite high, then it started dropping and doing a barrel roll,” he said. “It did a few spirals and I saw the ejector seat pop out. Then I saw a big fireball, an explosion.”

He said those watching the planes take off initially did not realize anything was wrong as the one Snowbird began climbing vertically, then descended with barrel rolls.

“We thought it was going to do some kind of cool trick,” he said. “It was incredible. I can’t believe I saw it.

was he hot dogging?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I'm guessing engine trouble / lack of thrust. Seemed like he may have gone into a climb, in the hopes of gaining enough altitude to safely eject. When he stalled the wings on air speed, it went into a spin and they bailed.

Looked STILL too low to successfully bail, but I probably would have done the same. So sad to see this.... :confused:

irocdave12

Reaction score
I saw an ejection but no parachute canopy deploy. That’s generally a problem

Bluesky

Reaction score
That really sucks......and think about it......no one is 100% safe from this , although those that live closer to airports are probably more in danger. But your sitting in your house chilling , taking a dump or watching Gas Monkey garage and boom! Your hit by a stray aircraft.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
That really sucks......and think about it......no one is 100% safe from this , although those that live closer to airports are probably more in danger. But your sitting in your house chilling , taking a dump or watching Gas Monkey garage and boom! Your hit by a stray aircraft.
It's something not infrequently on my mind. We are a good 40 miles out from LAX, but directly under the approach to 25L
15 or 20 years ago, a friend in Diamond Bar ended up with part of a leading edge slat in his yard.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
It's something not infrequently on my mind. We are a good 40 miles out from LAX, but directly under the approach to 25L
15 or 20 years ago, a friend in Diamond Bar ended up with part of a leading edge slat in his yard.
That would put you E-NE of the airport, no?

Check out the video below if interested. Seems even pilots are surprised by the special rules area directly over LAX.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
That would put you E-NE of the airport, no?
Yep... out near Ontario, south of their reverse approach when winds are blowing out of the east.

Crazy to look to the east on a clear night during peak season and see planes lined up for both runways at LAX and a 3rd line just north of them for Ontario.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I worry about that all the time. I live a few minutes from Wright-Patt AFB.

The two that scare me the most are the C-17 Globemaster that flies like 7 feet above my house at like 4mph. Scares the shit outta me.

Then there's a the 747 that's painted up like Air Force 1. I guess they train presidential pilots in them and they are always doing evasive maneuvers and look like they are gonna crash then pull out just in time.

I grew up watching the Snowbirds. RIP.

Those stupid old Tutor jets suck ass.

Seen one crash years ago in Toronto. I was in our family sailboat when the plane lost it and went hurdling toward about 300 boats.
The pilot was able to turn the plane down and dove it straight into the lake and perished, but save a lot of lives. We got hit by the splash.
You could see his face as he went in. Bothered me for years after.

six-string

Reaction score
yikes! so this was "supposed to be" a cheer up the folks cross-country fly-over of CT-114 Tutors in formation.
and turns into a massive tragedy. hmmmmm.

snowbirds-crash.png

Tone deaf

Reaction score
John McEnroe ended up with an Air Avianca fuselage in his yard on Long Island (circa 1990).

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man that’s terrible, RIP to the lady pilot.

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
I lived on carriers, and outside of air bases. I saw my share of crashes, they happen. It's unfortunate, but there is no way around it. If you leave the ground, you can't always be sure of how graceful the return will be.

Latest Threads