SNL Super Spreader event.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Which one? Gilda Radner (RIP), Laraine Newman, Jane Curtin, Lily Tomlin, or Candace Bergen?
Crack lady was Dale Dickey.
Aaaw my bad, I meant the first one but then I went back a took a look again, Naaw haha I don't know what I was thinking.
2x6_Spooge%27s_lady.png

Tone deaf

Reaction score
When GE Smith and T-Bone Wolk left, there was really no reason to watch any more. ;)
A buddy of mine used to play drums with GE back when we all lived in NYC. That guy (GE) can play. You just need to ignore the facial expressions.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
This is the Saturday night live show I remember....

I was probably in 5th or 6th grade when they were doing some of their best work. We'd beg our parents all week to let us stay up for SNL. We'd be walking around school saying "Jane, you ignorant slut" and have no idea what we were really saying. It was great.

Lorne Michael lifted much of the ideas and cast from National Lampoon. However, they faced some competition to keep it fresh and edge from NL and Second City.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
SNL of the '70s was awesome to the teenage me.
The early-mid '90s was the last of the great SNL.

Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Tim Meadows, etc, we're some of the best.

As much as I like some of the people that came after (Kate Mckinnon is funny as hell, in her own right), the writing is clearly overly biased. Not just politically, either. Unlike years before, where EVERYONE/THING was fair game.

I can honestly say, that other than a few, short skits I've found on YT, I haven't watched even a quarter of it, in about 10 years. Maybe longer?

PeteK

Reaction score
The Will Ferrell years were ok. A few classic skits like celebrity jeopardy. That was probably late 90's early 00's? I think the show has always been hit and miss. People act like the 70's shows were non stop comedic gold. There were plenty of stinkers back then too. It's not like every skit is always going to be a winner.

Recently though, they've leaned hard into the partisan politics and woke culture and have no memorable cast members. So the show kind of sucks right now

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
The Will Ferrell years were ok. A few classic skits like celebrity jeopardy. That was probably late 90's early 00's? I think the show has always been hit and miss. People act like the 70's shows were non stop comedic gold. There were plenty of stinkers back then too. It's not like every skit is always going to be a winner.

Recently though, they've leaned hard into the partisan politics and woke culture and have no memorable cast members. So the show kind of sucks right now
I read an interview with the Producer, Lorne Michael, and he said they basically took the best skits of
the week and made sure the best of the best made it on first. This was during the 70s and 80s.

I noticed that going back and watching whole episodes. As the show went forward the skits
became less funny and rather droll.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
SNL is more about stroking its own ego now its become really cringy and cheesy.

Pal

Reaction score
I was employed by NBC to work on SNL for Season 19 and 20. Besides Garofalo, McKean, Franken, Silverman the cast was great. The hosts and the musical guests were fantastic during my two year run. Aretha, Tom Petty, STP, Nirvana, Clapton, Aerosmith, Smashing Pumpkins, Cypress Hill, Live, Rod Stewart, Snoop Dogg, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Blind Melon, The Pretenders, Beastie Boys, Luscious Jackson, Bon Jovi, Green Day, to name just a few. I had to go back and watch LIVE perform I Alone, what a great night that was.

I worshipped the show as a kid, from Belushi to Murphy. It was an absolute dream come true to work on the show until it wasn't. They were quite narrow minded when I was there, I can't imagine what a shit show it must be now.

Writers Bob Odenkirk. Robert Smigel and Conan O'Brien all left right before I got there and I would guess 50% of the cast and staff left after season 20. I personally don't think the show has ever recovered. They had a chance had they surrounded Sudeikis and Hader with some better talent.

I did go back a few times to see Prince, Beck and Bruno Mars. The music was great but the rest of the show, not so much.

MikeyV

Reaction score
I always like the Samurai Delicatessen.

Total shit since the early 90's I'd say.

Too bad it blows, it's actually live on the west coast now and on before my bedtime.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but the difference is/was, today, the comedic gold is "a few" and the stinkers are the rule.

People still talk about Samurai Night Fever, the Coneheads, Father Sarducci, and "Cheeseburger cheeseburger" skits 40 years later, not to mention the huge success of the Blues Brothers... and yes... even Wayne's World... nobody is going to be talking about the current skits in 5 years.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
People act like the 70's shows were non stop comedic gold. There were plenty of stinkers back then too.
I totally agree. That's why I said that it was awesome to the teenage me. A lot of it didn't age well.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. That's why I said that it was awesome to the teenage me. A lot of it didn't age well.
Sometimes it's just the timing.
Monty Python was on at 11:30pm.
House was dark, parents were in bed, I was certainly tired but didn't know it.

A few years later, another station ran it at 6:30.
Not anywhere nearly as funny... Probably why I never liked Benny Hill or The Goodies, as they were also on earlier.

Latest Threads