Smoothest running Windows DAW for live recording

redking

Reaction score
Hey, my band rehearses once a week. Last week I suggested to the guys that maybe we should video a song. So that's what we're going to do next rehearsal. Going to have everyone turn their iphone cameras on so we get multiple angles and then just do a live off the floor recording using the MR18 straight to a laptop. After I get home I'll edit the video camera angles together with the mixed down multitrack. It might be a tidy little demo to show how easy it all is....
Do you take requests? :naughty:

Snip20210328_1.png

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
haha....no free bird! I think we'll do a Queen tune if that's OK with you...
I dropped the recording/video of the queen cover in the Backstage subforum:

Queen cover

Here's the technical rundown.

The vocal mics for myself and the bass player are inexpensive Sennheiser E835. They sound just fine for us backing vocal slobs. The drummer has some kind of headset mic...I don't know what it is but I don't like it lol.
The singer just bought the Shure Super 55. I love it....on his voice it just works. Hardly any EQ at all in the mix....just a slight dip at 600hz and some HPF. The drums are electronic so they just come down a stereo track....the drummer mixes his balances internally. The bass is direct from him amp's pre out. My guitar is a stereo tube amp rig, miked with a pair of modified Oktava condenser mics. That's it. We record everything, all the time.
If anyone wants the raw tracks as captured by the Midas and the DAW let me know and I'll post them up so you can open them up in your own DAW.

redking

Reaction score
I dropped the recording/video of the queen cover in the Backstage subforum:

Queen cover

Here's the technical rundown.

The vocal mics for myself and the bass player are inexpensive Sennheiser E835. They sound just fine for us backing vocal slobs. The drummer has some kind of headset mic...I don't know what it is but I don't like it lol.
The singer just bought the Shure Super 55. I love it....on his voice it just works. Hardly any EQ at all in the mix....just a slight dip at 600hz and some HPF. The drums are electronic so they just come down a stereo track....the drummer mixes his balances internally. The bass is direct from him amp's pre out. My guitar is a stereo tube amp rig, miked with a pair of modified Oktava condenser mics. That's it. We record everything, all the time.
If anyone wants the raw tracks as captured by the Midas and the DAW let me know and I'll post them up so you can open them up in your own DAW.
The guitar rig sounds great, but I had assumed since it is a basement rehearsal, that maybe you were using some sort of silent solution. Where do you have the amps pointing to minimize bleed into the vocal mics?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The guitar rig sounds great, but I had assumed since it is a basement rehearsal, that maybe you were using some sort of silent solution. Where do you have the amps pointing to minimize bleed into the vocal mics?
I am facing my amps....they are about 6 feet in front of me pointing at me. See...that's the thing about a live mix. I don't ever worry about bleed. Everything bleeds into everything else. But it's all one big organic cohesive bleeding performance mess. In a live mix, bleed is not as much of an issue as in a studio setting where you will be doing overdubs and you don't want a previous sound in the mix that is not supposed to be there. Live...it's all there....you just have to manage the mix with the bleed in mind. I actually don't even pay attention to it. When I'm mixing a live-off -the-floor recording with bleed I rarely even solo tracks.

redking

Reaction score
I am facing my amps....they are about 6 feet in front of me pointing at me. See...that's the thing about a live mix. I don't ever worry about bleed. Everything bleeds into everything else. But it's all one big organic cohesive bleeding performance mess. In a live mix, bleed is not as much of an issue as in a studio setting where you will be doing overdubs and you don't want a previous sound in the mix that is not supposed to be there. Live...it's all there....you just have to manage the mix with the bleed in mind. I actually don't even pay attention to it. When I'm mixing a live-off -the-floor recording with bleed I rarely even solo tracks.
With live drums, would you put up overheads at all, or is there so much cymbal crashing in the room that its not needed? Or maybe put up dynamic mics over the cymbals instead of condenser mics?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
With live drums, would you put up overheads at all, or is there so much cymbal crashing in the room that its not needed? Or maybe put up dynamic mics over the cymbals instead of condenser mics?
Oh sure I'd put them up. You can always chose to not use them...or just use a little. But it's not an issue of condensers vs dynamics. but of polar patterns and proximity.

Latest Threads