Small Marshall amp advice needed.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, I’m a Fender amp guy and that’s pretty much all I’ve played thru. I’ve had deluxe reverbs, pro reverb, vibrolux reverb tweed deluxe and champs.
My current amp is a Princeton reverb which I love.
But my haram of guitars could use a Marshall me thinks.

looking for something about the same size/ power as the Princeton. I play only at home or jamming with friends. Tube amp preferred. Looking for a combo, not a 50 watt half stack etc.
10 or 12 inch speaker works well.
I play more blues and classic rock, Allman bro’s., etc. I don’t play grunge or with heavy distortion. Play more clean with hair than over saturated.
Again, I don’t know jack about Marshall’s so looking for some guidance.

What would you amp gurus recommend?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
There are some great Marshall ‘amp stomp box pedals. Friedman Dirty Shirley would sound killer through a Fender amp.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
The Marshall Studio Vintage or Studio Classic, depending on your preference. They're both 20W and can be switched down to 5W. One is a Plexi circuit, the other JCM 800.

matthew bear

Reaction score
OP, could you give us more info on what a marshall amp sounds like to you? Marshalls cover a lot of territory, sonically.

Also, do you need a Master volume? how loud do you play?Is reverb needed?

For example, my "marshall" is an Avatar 45. it's based on a JTM 45,(which is similar to a tweed bassman) but has a very usable and musical Master volume. Even though I play at living room levels, it still sounds good. I also have a V2 amp, which is a hot rodded 800 kinda thing. These amps are both Marshall-esqe, but sound nothing alike.

Case24

Reaction score
I built an 18 watt clone last year with a Plexi voiced TMB channel. It gives me a good Marshall crunch tone. It’ll make your ears ring at home. Completely different tone than my 5ES clone.

ns2a

Reaction score
DSL 20 or 40

I have the 40 but leave it at half power at home. And it’s still plenty loud.

My kid did a guitar solo at his high school gym. Used the 40 watt setting around 4. It was PLENTY loud.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oop’s just realized this posted twice. Was posting when the plane was about to take off and got an error the first try.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
DSL20 is a little less power than a Deluxe Rverb and a little bit more than a Princeton, though it can be switched to the 10 watt mode. Has a great effects loop, pretty good digital reverb and sounds like a Marshal, though can do great cleans. I call mine the Deluxe Reverb Slayer!

I do highly recommend a good attenuator for any and all tube amp useage, to allow the amp to be used at its best "sweet spot" and then have its volume/sound pressure level adjusted to the situation/venue/room!

Just Sayin'
Gene

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
OP, could you give us more info on what a marshall amp sounds like to you? Marshalls cover a lot of territory, sonically.

Also, do you need a Master volume? how loud do you play?Is reverb needed?

For example, my "marshall" is an Avatar 45. it's based on a JTM 45,(which is similar to a tweed bassman) but has a very usable and musical Master volume. Even though I play at living room levels, it still sounds good. I also have a V2 amp, which is a hot rodded 800 kinda thing. These amps are both Marshall-esqe, but sound nothing alike.
The JTM 45 is more my Marshall tone I believe as hard driving rock crunch is not what I would typically play.
I did listen quickly to the Carr Mercury V and it has some nice tones from a 6V6 amp, but the original Mercury had a single EL34 I think so I’ll go give those a good listen.
I like your JTM clone and it’s living room volume since I don’t play at screaming levels. I’ll have a look at Avatar as well. Yours a combo or H/C? I much prefer a combo.
Thanks.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I would really check the Studio Vintage first, based on your last post.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would really check the Studio Vintage first, based on your last post.
I briefly looked at that but will go back and give it a good checking out. Maybe find one locally to try. Cool! Is that 6V6 or ?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I briefly looked at that but will go back and give it a good checking out. Maybe find one locally to try. Cool! Is that 6V6 or ?
It's EL-34, they achieve the lower power output in a similar way to London Power Scaling of Reeves and Suhr amps, though only have the two power settings. The transformers are much smaller as well, so it's about the physical size of a Princeton Reverb. It seems like exactly what you want.

Great amp, there are plenty of threads and demos out there.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Perfect! That looks like the ticket there.
I’m just smothered with 6V6 amps and looking for a different tonal base to work from and EL 34’s will fit the bill nicely! Never cared for EL84 based amps much so this is encouraging!

Thanks guys !

ARandall

Reaction score
Studio vintage will have to be cranked to get the drive......of course you have the power scaling to help, but it will still be loud of course.

I've had great luck with running a blackface style Fender and Marshall in tandem.....they seem to complement each other's strengths.

matthew bear

Reaction score
I'll have a look at Avatar as well. Yours a combo or H/C? I much prefer a combo.
Thanks.
They were made both ways, but Avatar doesn't make them anymore. They do pop up used on reverb from time to time. That said, it's a large amp, so it may not be what you're looking for as far as form factor goes.

Gridlock

Reaction score
The JTM 45 is more my Marshall tone I believe as hard driving rock crunch is not what I would typically play.
I did listen quickly to the Carr Mercury V and it has some nice tones from a 6V6 amp, but the original Mercury had a single EL34 I think so I’ll go give those a good listen.
I like your JTM clone and it’s living room volume since I don’t play at screaming levels. I’ll have a look at Avatar as well. Yours a combo or H/C? I much prefer a combo.
Thanks.
I think that the original Carr Mercury ran one KT66.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
SL-5. Somewhat hard to find but I think there is still one in the Member Classifieds. Awesome little combo amp with a 12.