Small All Tube Amp w Headphone Jack

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
FWIW, I just bought a Marshall DSL 1hr. It has a direct out that has a cab sim built in and acts like a headphone jack. And the amp has an internal load so you can unhook the speaker and play silently. I haven't tried it yet.
Just tried it out this morning. Underwhelmed. High noise, low guitar volume. Might benefit from being run through a small board or headphone amp. Overall, I'm finding this may not be the best headphone amp. It sounds fantastic through a cab, but with too many guitars, it has a lot of noise over the cans. Fun with my ready for Metal Revstar, but disappointing with my new Tele and P90 Les Paul.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tried it out this morning. Underwhelmed. High noise, low guitar volume. Might benefit from being run through a small board or headphone amp. Overall, I'm finding this may not be the best headphone amp. It sounds fantastic through a cab, but with too many guitars, it has a lot of noise over the cans. Fun with my ready for Metal Revstar, but disappointing with my new Tele and P90 Les Paul.
Most amps are underwhelming through 'phones. The Class 5 doesn't have cab emulation so it really sucks. On the other hand, the Blackstar HT-1 sounds great to me. The Micro Terror is so so, the Peavey Classic 20 MH sounds ok, but it's overkill.

I'd rather just play them into speakers at low volume. I have a Hughes & Kettner Redbox that will work off a line out but it's extra cabling.

scottyk

Reaction score
Don’t know your budget but a Marshall Studio 15 combo covers anything and everything you are looking for. Has some collectible value that won’t lose its worth.
FWIW if anything,
ScottyK

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
The Bugera T5 Infinium fits that bill too. I've got the lunchbox style head. $199 new, probably $140 or less used. All tube, single 12AX7 & EL84. Switchable 5W, 1W & 0.5W, has a headphone jack, speaker jack (4 ohm minimum), treb, mid & bass tone controls, gain & master volume controls, a "phat" switch and digital reverb which actually sounds pretty nice.

I just did something wild with mine. I recently set up a budget DAW and ran my T5 into my attenuator and ran the attenuator's line out to my cheap audio interface > cheap HP desk top PC running Reaper with a couiple of free plugins I downloaded from the web. The guitars were a Carvin AE185 for the acoustic track and a MIM Tele and a EHX Soul Food for the dirty track,

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Different to what you are asking but thought it worth mentioning anyway. You can download a lot of amp apps on IPhone and then use an IRig to plug in your guitar and headphones and play through that.

Apps like Tone Bridge are for free as well. Just another option or addition for you.

Led747

Reaction score
I will second the suggestion of using a good modeler, with the signal path and volumes needed to get an amp through headphones, they will sound closer to the mental image of what a tube amp should sound like than a budget tube amp with cheap parts and headphone outs. Not to mention you will have an array of effects at hand. Just don't do as I did and become addicted to stereo chorus/delay/reverb!

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I have the Terror head and there's no headphone jack or internal load. GREAT sounding amp!
I really want the Rocker 15 Terror or the TH30, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

For the OP, if you're not completely stuck on it being tube, something like a Boss Katana is good for headphones. And they're pretty cheap, too.

sll

Reaction score
A 5 watt conversion project. Full tonal range and quiet enough background noise for studio use.

Last edited:

Latest Threads