Slotting Acoustic Bridge Saddle

GibsonRocker

Reaction score
After months of ridiculous string breaking I finally bought a new saddle for my acoustic. It is a Tusq compensated saddle. It is not slotted, so my question to you is how to do this, without causing the same problem I had before, which is breaking strings at the bridge. Thanks, ya'll.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My acoustics have never had fully slotted bridges. They all have had the minimum notch conceivable to keep a string in line and thats it, more like scratches than slots.

GibsonRocker

Reaction score
My acoustics have never had fully slotted bridges. They all have had the minimum notch conceivable to keep a string in line and thats it, more like scratches than slots.

Do you play hard though? I play in a folk punk band, so I play pretty aggressively. It seems like I might need deeper grooves to prevent strings slipping out.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Do you play hard though? I play in a folk punk band, so I play pretty aggressively. It seems like I might need deeper grooves to prevent strings slipping out.

No, I don't play hard. You may need a luthier then.... maybe move this thread to the luthier section and explain that you play much harder then most.

Lungo

Reaction score

Heavier strings might serve your needs a little better.

Ed B

Reaction score
You can do it yourself pretty easily, with the right tools.

The cheapest route.....welding tip cleaner set. They go for like $5 shipped on eBay.

Another suggestion is a set of jeweler files. You can even notch metal with these. They may run between $10 and $20. IRRC.

Or buck up and get a nice set of nut files.

I don't do a lot of nut or saddle work so I've yet to buy a good set. I have the 1st 2 above and haven't needed anything else.

There are tons of "how to" articles and videos on the net to learn from.

Latest Threads