Slim Taper Neck on Juniors

lawrev

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a Junior single cut. I know that the Custom Shops are the full C neck like a 50s model, but are there any USA model years where a slim taper was used or would I need to go through Made 2 Measure? I think the 2018 and 2019 Juniors have the fuller neck, but I was thinking a slim taper like the new Junior Tributes. Thanks!

MSB

Reaction score
'15s are slim taper, but have the wider fretboard

zombiwoof

Reaction score
There were slim taper-necked Juniors in the past few years, although the new production Junior has a rounded 50's profile. I wasn't interested in those Juniors with the thinner necks, which is why I remember. Just check the model year on any used Juniors to find out which they used.
Al

Bud Stoner

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a 2002-2003-ish LP Jr, and its neck was slim taper.

It was a cool guitar, and one I wish I never got rid of.

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
'15s are slim taper, but have the wider fretboard
I have a 2015 and really like the neck. I find the wide fretboard easy to play. It's definitely slim taper depth wise. The 2015 models are a divisive year, due to the headstock logo and robo-tuners. Personally, I don't mind the logo, but mine has had the tuners replaced with Ratio tuners, which are really great.

You should be able to find a 2015 for $500-ish with case. The cases that year are really nice too, IMO.

Hope this helps.

-Jay

Telechamp

Reaction score
I have a 2015 and really like the neck. I find the wide fretboard easy to play. It's definitely slim taper depth wise. The 2015 models are a divisive year, due to the headstock logo and robo-tuners. Personally, I don't mind the logo, but mine has had the tuners replaced with Ratio tuners, which are really great.

You should be able to find a 2015 for $500-ish with case. The cases that year are really nice too, IMO.

Hope this helps.

-Jay
I've got a 2015 LP Special Double Cut. And while I wouldn't want this neck on all my guitars, I actually like the wide neck.

And yeah, the gold cases for the 2015's are pretty nice. In fact, I've seen a lot of 2015's for sale lately without the gold case... :confused: These seem to be coming with gig bags or other non-descript cases.

I'm guessing the sellers are keeping those gold cases...

MSB

Reaction score
I've got a 2015 LP Special Double Cut. And while I wouldn't want this neck on all my guitars, I actually like the wide neck.

And yeah, the gold cases for the 2015's are pretty nice. In fact, I've seen a lot of 2015's for sale lately without the gold case... :confused: These seem to be coming with gig bags or other non-descript cases.

I'm guessing the sellers are keeping those gold cases...

i've had 3 of the gold cases and all kept the tuners too close to the bottom for my comfort, so they didn't last long. My '13 tribute actually left marks after a couple days because it was physically touching (which sparked my observance of them). they look nice, I guess, but in the grand scheme of things and Gibson cases, I think they're some of the crappiest ones.

people sold them off because they were one year, but if I was looking at one and it had a different case, i'd probably look at it as an upgrade.

Telechamp

Reaction score
i've had 3 of the gold cases and all kept the tuners too close to the bottom for my comfort, so they didn't last long. My '13 tribute actually left marks after a couple days because it was physically touching (which sparked my observance of them). they look nice, I guess, but in the grand scheme of things and Gibson cases, I think they're some of the crappiest ones.

people sold them off because they were one year, but if I was looking at one and it had a different case, i'd probably look at it as an upgrade.
I don't know - mine seems to work pretty nice... :dunno:

MSB

Reaction score
I don't know - mine seems to work pretty nice... :dunno:

and from the pics, I bet it does. throw some steinberger tuners on, or a trem, or a body thats more than xyz thick. I'm only sharing my experiences. I'm only so old, but its the least forgiving Gibson case, imo. I bought/kept a few initially because I thought they'd be worth something, but I'll take just about any gibson case of the last 20 years over them.

lawrev

Reaction score
Just took delivery on a 2005 Junior - looks like that has a slim taper neck too. Will get a NGD posted soon with photos!

moreles

Reaction score
I don't understand why the '15 neck is categorically rejected by so many. It's not really "wide," just "wider," and I think it's better than the clubby necks that are currently such a fad. The adjustable nut is trash, the deathbead signature is disrespectful, and the min-e-tune system is hilariously insane. I would happily buy one of these as the appropriate fire-sale price because I like the playability and can easily replace the tuners, make a proper bone nut, and do an easy refin on the front of the headstock, including the better, traditional signature. Though I despise what Gibson pulled in 2015, some of those guitars can easily be made very good and are often a true steal.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I got my 2015 Junior new from Sam Ash for $479. I had always wanted a Junior, so I couldn't pass up a deal like that. Beautiful guitar, but I just couldn't adjust to that neck. Traded it soon after.

Some day I will get a conventional Junior....they just sound so damn good!