Slim Neck vs Fat Neck Epi LPs

UTGrad

Reaction score
I have a LP Standard PTP with SD "Whole Lotta Humbuckers" that has a slim neck. Its a fast neck but I do get cramps sometimes playing it (Thumb over neck when playing). I have a 1966 reissue Epi SG G-400 that has a fatter neck that I don't get as many cramps when playing.

It's hard to beat the tone and looks of the Les Paul PTP but I sometimes wonder if I would prefer a beefier neck like the ones found on the Trads.

What do y'all prefer? Slim necks or fat necks?

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both if rounded. I don't like the very slim flat ones, nor am I too fond of the fat ones with hard "shoulders".
Fender tapered C shape comes to mind. Maybe I should get the dust off my Strat this weekend o_O

GraphX12

Reaction score
If you're looking for a Trad Pro, make sure you play before you buy. I bought a new 2014 Trad Pro (1st generation) online and it had the thinnest neck I've ever played. Brought it to Guitar Center to compare with a Trad Pro II and couldn't believe the difference. Sold it for that fact. But my '99 G-400 ...... now that's a nice fat neck! She will be with me forever!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Fat vs thin necks? It depends on the size, configuration, and strength of your hands and fingers. Like when buying clothes, there is no "one size fits all".

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Fat ones, late 80s and the 90s epiphones seem the most consistent for thick and rounded, I have tried quite a few newer year Epis, most were slimmer and more blade like

Capo Dei Capi

Reaction score
I have fat and slim neck guitars. I prefer a fatter neck but actually i find a thinner neck easier to play. Although the thinner neck guitar has a 14 inch radius vs 12 inch, so that may have something to do with it.

I find the fatter the neck gives you better support. Its hard to find guitars with fat necks nowadays.

straybeat

Reaction score
I grew up on Gibson Norlin LP's in the 70's, so I like the thin necks. But after 50 years of playing you could give me a strung telephone pole and I can play it fine. :rofl:

Last edited:

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Like when buying clothes, there is no "one size fits all".

Truth.

Its hard to find guitars with fat necks nowadays.

Glad to hear (or read :) ) someone else say this!! I thought it was just me, or that I was always looking at the wrong models when trying to find a beefy neck. Like the OP, 60’s slim taper necks fatigue my fretting hand. I much prefer 50’s rounded necks. :thumb:

Capo Dei Capi

Reaction score
That's the reason why i prefer fat necks, i find they have more support and you can play longer.

But i also find it strange that Epi doesn't make a 59 burst model. I know i would buy one. Luckily i bought one of the last Peter Frampton's with a fifties neck (i think). That guitar is a keeper and a real joy to play. My only criticism is it would have been great with Gibson pickups.

jvin248

Reaction score

Fat necks for me too.

It's not just width and depth measurements but that rear shoulder carve that can kill a neck for me.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Most of my guitars have fat necks. I recently picked up one that is very small and have really bonded with it. I had to get rid of my '14 Traditional pro because I couldn't get along with the neck. And my '13 Standard was nice and big. Go figure.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
It seems that those Epi Goldtop '56 P90 LPs that are issued once in a while have different neck thickneses, depending on issue. Though I usually prefer thin necks, my guitar of this model (an 09 issue) has a rather fat neck an I'm glad it does. That is because the original 1956 Gibson of this model has a rather fact neck. Historical correctness.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Along those lines, I (like I’ll bet every other player) can play thin or fat necks (within reason). It is only a matter of what feels best for the individual player.

Latest Threads