Slaughter free meat!

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just reading about meat grown in labs from cells from individual animals, I wonder how this will affect vegetarians? the animal doesn't die to eat it's meat.
Would you eat meat that was grown in a Lab? I know it would be popular in our household as we've cut down drastically on factory farmed meats that are full of growth hormones, red meat especially. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403
We're pretty lucky here in Australia. Our Beef is hormone free & we have a lot of free range choices, with the whole battery system being replaced with more ethical farming methods.

What should also be considered is our reliance on Meat; i.e. most people eat too much meat & not enough vegetables.

Probably explains why Colorectal cancer is on the rise in the western World. We're awash in Protein, with many people consuming way more than is required.

I'm not a vegetarian but enjoy vegetarian meals & always eats loads of vegetables when I have meat etc.

:cheers2:

<gator>

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just reading about meat grown in labs from cells from individual animals, I wonder how this will affect vegetarians? the animal doesn't die to eat it's meat.
Would you eat meat that was grown in a Lab? I know it would be popular in our household as we've cut down drastically on factory farmed meats that are full of growth hormones, red meat especially. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403
I would consider it. I think (not sure though) that most vegetarians are so due to ethical concerns. If they can grow meat with no animal slaughter, AND with roughly the same application of resources (light, water, nutrients) as vegetables, then why not?

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
Nature gave us our brains. What is not to get?

Our whole evolution has been centered around our brains and thinking of new ways to survive.

But I am sure there were people against the grinding of grain when it was "invented". Saying it was against nature.
I don't agree. One thing about grain however, that society should take a look at is why the sudden onset of wheat and gluten allergies. People are dumb generally speaking. It's not the grain that people are allergic to...it's the glyphosate used by the ton to kill wheat crops prior to harvest that is the real reason behind people getting sick. But hardly anyone is saying a thing about it. For hundreds of years and longer no one had a reaction to eating bread.

Rant over.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
We're pretty lucky here in Australia. Our Beef is hormone free & we have a lot of free range choices, with the whole battery system being replaced with more ethical farming methods.

What should also be considered is our reliance on Meat; i.e. most people eat too much meat & not enough vegetables.

Probably explains why Colorectal cancer is on the rise in the western World. We're awash in Protein, with many people consuming way more than is required.

I'm not a vegetarian but enjoy vegetarian meals & always eats loads of vegetables when I have meat etc.

:cheers2:
I agree with RAG about how lucky we are here with the quality and availability of our meat.

I can’t possibly imagine not eating meat. I have no problem with growing and slaughtering beasts for food, provided that the process is not cruel. In the main (there will always be cowboys) in Australia the process is not unnecessarily cruel.

Every scrap of every beast killed in Oz is used - no waste.

RAG argues we eat too much meat and not enough vegies. If that’s right, it would seem to me the answer is not necessarily to eat less meat, but to eat more veg.

I think it says a lot about our meat product that meat consumption is high when meat prices are also high... much higher than vegies.

Cheers

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eat what you want and be happy, I can’t do the all veggie thing, I can’t do turkey bacon and I’m sure as hell not eating a fake steak. I’m one of those guys that sees a truck load of animals most likely on their way to the end and it bothers me, I try not to think about it honestly but it does bother me.

We have friends that are vegetarians and I even have a friend that worships PETA and I dog the shit out of him for wearing $300 dollar leather ferragamos or something like that, the vegetarians don’t eat meat but eat fish.

I stopped trying to figure all this stuff out lol, I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe the animals should be eating us, humans are morons :lol:

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
the need for survival , sounds like a good argument for lab grown meat . but as far as I'm concerned __ we're looking for a solution , to a problem that we created . instead of going into the laboratory , to figure out how to make more meat

we should be figuring out how to eat less ( or no ) meat , which is not necessary for survival , or even good health

We are in trouble now that the Chinese have a taste for meat and other things since the rural “peasants” who have moved to the cities

They are destroying the shark population with finning for shark fin soup. They will destroy everything they get a taste for. Not just the Chinese, but that’s a lot of people. We are killing everything at a non sustainable rate. It’s horrible

parts

Reaction score
Veggies..want to make their vegetarian food resemble meat ? Why make Magic Burgers,,or imitation bacon..
Create a veggie dish that LOOKS like veggies..
Tonight I had a bunch of steamed Broccoli..no meat..just felt like it,,and saw some nice florets shopping.. Some nights I Wok Bok Choi..and whatever veggies looked great at the market..
Tomorrow going with friends in from Kuwait to a favorite Italian restaurant..
My Veal will be veal..or my Pasta Adriatic..mussels..clams..shrimp..in a wonderful garlicky marinara..with truffles...it will all be real.
I guess someone can make meat look like Broccoli..or mussels look like Tofu..
Why ?

Pennyman

Reaction score
Apparently there's a new product called Beyond Meat, that's made with plant protein (mostly peas, so I've read.) Supposedly it has the taste and texture of real beef.

There's a stall in the city that sells BM burgers. Haven't tried it yet, but the reviews are positive. I'm going to make a point of trying one soon.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently there's a new product called Beyond Meat, that's made with plant protein (mostly peas, so I've read.) Supposedly it has the taste and texture of real beef.

There's a stall in the city that sells BM burgers. Haven't tried it yet, but the reviews are positive. I'm going to make a point of trying one soon.

Yeah I’m interested. My auntie used a meat substitute in lasagna which worked great. But beef also includes steak in my book, so let’s set some boundaries.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score

There's an old product called beef, that's made with beef. It has the taste and texture of real beef.

There's a whole bunch of places that sell beef burgers. Definitely worth a try.

Cheers

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Rabbits. Why aren't we just breeding tons and tons of Rabbits to eat?

...they say it taste like Chicken.

Chickens and Rabbits. Plenty of Meat around. No need to grow it in a petrie dish.
We raise meat rabbits. Rabbit is tasty. I’d put it closer to something between chicken and duck.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
And fwiw, i do and will eat whatever i want. It doesn’t matter if it was bought in the store, raised in my backyard, pulled out of the water or shot in the woods. But I’m not gonna eat lab meat for the same reason I’m not buying a modeler for an amp:
I don’t fuckin wanna.
If someone serves it to me and i like it and they tell me later, I’m gonna be pissed at them and still not eat it.
I don’t want to eat fake shit.
And i love veggies. We grow quite a bit of those too, and just planted a few more fruit trees. I actually like tofu, too, when its served as tofu, and not some weird substitute. It’s great in a lot of Asian soups.
Anyway, fuck science.
Haha.