Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Seymour Duncan aph1/2 in zebra finish

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Change trim ring colour

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Bedicine

Reaction score
Happy Sunday everyone. Wanted to get opinions from the forum on colour schemes for a vermillion burst I purchased this morning. This is my first les Paul after having owned epiphone and fenders.

a few options I have been thinking of is changing the pickups to the zebra Seymour Duncan’s, possibly nickel Covers,black bridge and tail piece or trim ring covers.

open to any feedback or suggestions. I have a slash epiphone now with aph-2 (zebra) installed so I maybe biased on colours.

Attachments

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Don't do the seymour duncan aph-2 pups. I did them on my slash standard and the slashbuckers sounded waaaay better. I ended up swapping back and throwing nickel covers over the slashbuckers

Peter M

Reaction score
Beautiful top! Unless you don't like the sound of the pups, I would pretty much leave it as is. All I changed on mine were the knobs (prefer the feel of reflectors) and the switch tip to cream. Enjoy.

Bedicine

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Inching more towards to nickel pickup covers. For those who have added them did you leave your stock pickups in and if so do you know the sizing for the covers? i unfortunately don't have the guitar here yet to measure.

Thank you

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Inching more towards to nickel pickup covers. For those who have added them did you leave your stock pickups in and if so do you know the sizing for the covers? i unfortunately don't have the guitar here yet to measure.

Thank you
You need two of these
https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Covers/PRPC-Neck
I know it says neck but your pickups are both neck width. Don't buy the one that says it's for the bridge because it won't fit.

Get some thin masking tape and some wax. Drip melted wax into the pickup cover and put the tape over the slugs on the pickup. I also put a little tape on the gap between the two bobbins. Rough up the spots where you'll be soldering on the back of the pickup and the inside of the pickup cover with some steel wool, sandpaper or emory cloth. Use a clamp to secure the cover onto the pickup. Use a heat gun on the outside of the cover to melt the wax inside. Readjust the clamp so it's clamping tight. Apply a bead of solder between the back of the pickup and the inside of the cover and you're done.

Last edited:

Bedicine

Reaction score
You need two of these
https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Covers/PRPC-Neck
I know it says neck but your pickups are both neck width. Don't buy the one that says it's for the bridge because it won't fit.

Get some thin masking tape and some wax. Drip melted wax into the pickup cover and put the tape over the slugs on the pickup. I also put a little tape on the gap between the two bobbins. Rough up the spots where you'll be soldering on the back of the pickup and the inside of the pickup cover with some steel wool, sandpaper or emory cloth. Use a clamp to secure the cover onto the pickup. Use a heat gun on the outside of the cover to melt the wax inside. Readjust the clamp so it's clamping tight. Apply a bead of solder between the back of the pickup and the inside of the cover and you're done.
Thank you. is the factory hardware chrome or nickel?

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Depends. Usually nickel. I'd go with nickel because it'll age with the guitar better than chrome will.

danzego

Reaction score
You haven’t even gotten it yet and you’re already convinced you want different pickups? Try them out first! Give it a month and see how you like them. They’re actually really good pickups, I think.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You haven’t even gotten it yet and you’re already convinced you want different pickups? Try them out first! Give it a month and see how you like them. They’re actually really good pickups, I think.
Yea the pickups are great....

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Yea the pickups are great....
3rded. In my 2020 slash standard I put aph-2 pickups in it to be closer to the original custom shop run and the slashbuckers sounded soooo much better. I ended up swapping back over

jbash

Reaction score
The Slashbuckers are like a more articulate, bigger/wider sounding set of Burstbuckers.

They react EXTREMELY well to volume and tone controls even with modern wiring.

They are not nearly as clinical/precise and compressed sounding as the Duncan Slash set (or original APIIs).

While outputs are similar on the meter, the Duncans sound "hot" and the Slashbuckers just sound big and punchy with a bit of that BB "wooliness" or rough edge.

I've had multiple sets of the Duncans in various guitars, but I never got on with either except for the Slash set on ONE guitar- an Epi 335. I'm not a fan of, or trying to cop Slashtone. It's not my thing. I'm all about 70s Lifeson, Robertson, Schenker, Page etc.

If Burstbuckers are on the "vintage-ish" side and Duncans are over on the "modern-ish" side , the Slashbuckers are about halfway between.

Latest Threads