Slash model doesn't have his signature pickups, thoughts?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The Slash tone need is so strong that it doesn't matter what pickup they put
in the Signature guitars.
Anyone who really wants Slash tone gets the Slash tone.
It's a Lifestyle for crissake's!
And it's "Authentic".

So there you go!

rbraad68

Reaction score
I think i got my slash sorted out. Atm it plays really well and sounds good too. I wound up taking the Jazz out of the neck and putting a 59 in it's place. I also switched bridges with the 60's guitar putting the titanium saddles on the slash and replaced the blk pick up rings with the cream ones... Been trying to play only the slash so i can dial it in. So far so good. For the first time i can say that i like the guitar... The "Custom" pro buckers i pulled out of the slash sound really good in my 50's gold top... I guess all's well everything turned out great. Win Win !!

Attachments

• done 03.jpg
    done 03.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 16
  • slash project 03.jpg
    slash project 03.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 18
  • kids 12.jpg
    kids 12.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 20

rbraad68

Reaction score
You know guys i will admitt i wasn't impressed with these custom pro buckers that came in my slash.I've always liked the pro bukcers 2 n 3 infact i have bought a few sets of them in the past for my older epi's..It's aways nice when you can recycle some of the parts you pull out your new epi's. in this case i was able to reuse the custom pro buckers in my 50's gold top. though i didn't think the custom PBs sounded too good in the slash they deff sound really well in the gold top. that saves me money in the long run. i'd have to say after spending some time with the custom PB's they aren't bad. I still don't hear a diff in the reg PB's 2 n 3 and these pups....

rbraad68

Reaction score
ahhh you may be right who knows?? I guess it's possible that they copied the gibson custom buckers that they put in the gibson salsh models..... I like that they are uncovered and have the braided wire.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
You really think they would state they are custom Probuckers made just like the Gibson ones for the Slash Models and then just put regular Probucker 2/3's in it. I mean then everyone could return the guitar or sue Epiphone. I mean it is one thing for GC or Sweetwater and other to specify a wrong pickup on there website, but they have articles stating there special Custom Probuckers, that is written in stone so to speak.

Seven

Reaction score
You really think they would state they are custom Probuckers made just like the Gibson ones for the Slash Models and then just put regular Probucker 2/3's in it. I mean then everyone could return the guitar or sue Epiphone. I mean it is one thing for GC or Sweetwater and other to specify a wrong pickup on there website, but they have articles stating there special Custom Probuckers, that is written in stone so to speak.

I'm sure they are just fine for a $599 guitar. :dunno:

I'm one of the few that actually like Probuckers.

KStopper65

Reaction score
You really think they would state they are custom Probuckers made just like the Gibson ones for the Slash Models and then just put regular Probucker 2/3's in it.
Yes. They would. I bet the only thing custom about them is that there are no covers.
No hate, just saying it is a likely possibility

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I'm sure they are just fine for a $599 guitar. :dunno:

I'm one of the few that actually like Probuckers.
I like the Probucker 2/3's as well, I think they sound really good. I have them in 3 of my recently purchased Epiphone's. I would love to get one of these Slash model's but the neck's are huge which I hate.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yes. They would. I bet the only thing custom about them is that there are no covers.
No hate, just saying it is a likely possibility
In the Article from Epiphone, it states they are wound the same as the Gibson Slash Pickups, so I am thinking they are not just Probucker 2/3's with no covers.

KStopper65

Reaction score
In the Article from Epiphone, it states they are wound the same as the Gibson Slash Pickups, so I am thinking they are not just Probucker 2/3's with no covers.
We need someone to compare them.
\

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Cantrell's "Wino" Les Paul Custom was just released yesteday.

Jerry's been using JBs and then switched to Motor City pickups the past decades.
His brand new Gibson signature comes with 498Ts stock in the bridge.

Still they're flying off the shelves at $9k.

:dunno:

Reaction score
Jerry Cantrell's "Wino" Les Paul Custom was just released yesteday.

Jerry's been using JBs and then switched to Motor City pickups the past decades.
His brand new Gibson signature comes with 498Ts stock in the bridge.

Still they're flying off the shelves at $9k.

:dunno:

kind of comparing apples to hamburgers here; sure they are both edible but.....

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right, that was too vague.

What I meant to say was Gibson is all over the place when it comes to pickups in signature models.

Some signatures come with correct brand pickups like the Adam Jones, Chris Cornell, Zakk Wylde and some come with Gibson equivalents like Jerry Cantrells. And depending on which Slash series you talk about, they could be either his SD Alnico II set or Gibson’s version of those.

Even within their own realm it seems to be a bit random.

The current Peter Frampton comes with 3 Custombuckers while the earlier runs came with 500T/57+/57.

So if mother Gibson can’t get get it 100% right and authentic with their highest end products, how could Epiphone?

But I digress…

Reaction score
You’re right, that was too vague.

What I meant to say was Gibson is all over the place when it comes to pickups in signature models.

Some signatures come with correct brand pickups like the Adam Jones, Chris Cornell, Zakk Wylde and some come with Gibson equivalents like Jerry Cantrells. And depending on which Slash series you talk about, they could be either his SD Alnico II set or Gibson’s version of those.

Even within their own realm it seems to be a bit random.

The current Peter Frampton comes with 3 Custombuckers while the earlier runs came with 500T/57+/57.

So if mother Gibson can’t get get it 100% right and authentic with their highest end products, how could Epiphone?

But I digress…
That makes a lot of sense.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score

I think that's because they based his custombuckers on the pickups in the original, while before they didn't have the original before.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sure a JB and 59 are great pickups, very clear and beefy for the JB and the 59 or Jazz is very smooth with a great warm tone to them. But... that is pretty far from a Slash tone pickup, so I would definitely leave the Probucker Custom Slash approved in my Slash guitar. But hey... that's just me. I definitely would not plug in the guitar, play a few chords, then change them out. I would give them a chance for sure and put the guitar through its paces for a week or two.

Way back in 2014, I picked up a nice Blue Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top for like $500. They had those older basic Eiphone pickups that were pretty muddy. I put a JB in the Bridge and a 59 in the neck, what a nice improvement, the guitar sounded like a $2000 guitar. Action was great and the guitar sounded great, all for under $700.

Last edited:

Latest Threads