Slash model doesn't have his signature pickups, thoughts?

canesfan

Reaction score
My Gibson Appetite Burst LP is my best sounding guitar…and that’s out of a pretty decent lineup. It’s that good. Also a big GnR fan and the guitar stays tuned down a half-step. It’s heavy, comes in close to 10 lbs, but something about the pickups and the wood just makes it sing. I’ve played a few others and have been impressed with all of them. I think Gibson did great with the Slash standards.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Gibson Appetite Burst LP is my best sounding guitar…and that’s out of a pretty decent lineup. It’s that good. Also a big GnR fan and the guitar stays tuned down a half-step. It’s heavy, comes in close to 10 lbs, but something about the pickups and the wood just makes it sing. I’ve played a few others and have been impressed with all of them. I think Gibson did great with the Slash standards.

A half step? If I recall correctly, back in the late '80s trying to figure out GnR songs with a cheap Casio keyboard. I tried playing 1/2 step down, and I was out of tune, even when I turned the tuning knob as sharp as it would go, but I was still a bit flat. Reverse for tuning down from the nominal note.

The Ds were between Db and Dnat, and the As were somewhere between Ab and Anat. Maybe they were down only 1/4 step?

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
A half step? If I recall correctly, back in the late '80s trying to figure out GnR songs with a cheap Casio keyboard. I tried playing 1/2 step down, and I was out of tune, even when I turned the tuning knob as sharp as it would go, but I was still a bit flat. Reverse for tuning down from the nominal note.

The Ds were between Db and Dnat, and the As were somewhere between Ab and Anat. Maybe they were down only 1/4 step?
They're down a half step.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
My Epi/Gibson Standard 60's in bourbon burst. Epiphone matched the color perfectly....LOL! And is unplayable from the 9th fret up. Not sure how much I want to sink into getting it leveled.
1628680929000.jpeg

Last edited:

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at both Gibson's and Epiphone's current Slash collections, Gibson's SlashBuckers are Burstbuckers modified to suit Slash's taste, Epiphone has their equivalent 'Custom ProBuckers'. I don't consider these 'Slash's pickup' but rather just glorified stock pickups. I hope I've made myself clear so there's no confusion.

:wtf:
Was that intended as snark?

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Epi/Gibson Standard 60's in bourbon burst. Epiphone matched the color perfectly.... And is unplayable from the 9th fret up. Not sure how much I want to sink into getting it leveled.

I am guessing that you got it used. This is one of the reasons I buy new, at least with the way the market for used is going today. i am also rather risk-averse. And I'm lazy, so returning something is a PITA, even if it involves merely repacking and waiting for USP to pick it up.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slash Tone. Is it worth chasing? Is a pickup that important with the available amp EQ?
Is it possible to replicate an aged replica with a Chinese replica based on a Gibson copy?
Where are the Gary Moore Epis, if you wanna chase tone cheaply?
I'm on my 3rd beer so I'll shut up now.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Slash Tone. Is it worth chasing? Is a pickup that important with the available amp EQ?
Is it possible to replicate an aged replica with a Chinese replica based on a Gibson copy?
Where are the Gary Moore Epis, if you wanna chase tone cheaply?
I'm on my 3rd beer so I'll shut up now.
A little bit, the voicing of the pickup definitely contributes to the tone.

rbraad68

Reaction score
lol i own the slash and i have JB and Jazz pup in it!!! sad enough i bought a sig guitar... i damm sure aint running out and buying slash/sig pickups......

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I am guessing that you got it used. This is one of the reasons I buy new, at least with the way the market for used is going today. i am also rather risk-averse. And I'm lazy, so returning something is a PITA, even if it involves merely repacking and waiting for USP to pick it up.
Yeah I bought it used. And I'm also too lazy for packing it up to ship which is why I still have it...Lol!
I'll eventually just give it to some kid after I set it up.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope I'm very sorry if I offended you. English is not my first language. I was just trying to express my views clearly. I do have a problem realizing what kind of writing can come off wrong.

No problem. Even those who know only English and are good writers write something which can come off wrong. I wonder if this is true in all languages.

BTW, I would have never guessed that English is not your first language. You have mastered it!

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I bought it used. And I'm also too lazy for packing it up to ship which is why I still have it...Lol!
I'll eventually just give it to some kid after I set it up.

I have thought (and done) the exact same thing about used guitars which were not to my satisfaction. I want more children & teens to learn to play a musical instrument. Double for girls and guitar.

VergDan

Reaction score
No problem. Even those who know only English and are good writers write something which can come off wrong. I wonder if this is true in all languages.

BTW, I would have never guessed that English is not your first language. You have mastered it!
Welp thank you for the compliment you've just made my day!

juanpuol

Reaction score
The biggest disappointment to me is the Goldtop. The real Victoria is a dark back. THAT is everything to me. The initial launch info showed the Epi with a dark back as well….they are clearly shipping with a natural back. Lost a sale from me there…
same here.
I am saving for a Gibson GT one. But the Vermilion is about 300€ cheaper here in Germany, so I thought I could get that one and put the difference towards the Epi GT.
But the specs are bad with the pickups and not even the dark back.
I guess I will continue saving for the Gibson then...

I do dig the case with Slash logo,though.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I have thought (and done) the exact same thing about used guitars which were not to my satisfaction. I want more children & teens to learn to play a musical instrument. Double for girls and guitar.
I have a tendency to buy guitars without any thought like the Jackson Randy Rhoads V I had. It sat up on its hanger for a couple years unplayed and about 2 weeks ago I finally gave it to a young kid(son of a coworker) because he started showing interest by playing his brothers guitar. I see a little of myself in him because ever since I gave it to him he hasn't put it down. Which in todays day and age, is amazing.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a tendency to buy guitars without any thought like the Jackson Randy Rhoads V I had. It sat up on its hanger for a couple years unplayed and about 2 weeks ago I finally gave it to a young kid(son of a coworker) because he started showing interest by playing his brothers guitar. I see a little of myself in him because ever since I gave it to him he hasn't put it down. Which in todays day and age, is amazing.

It is also encouraging.

USTTRM

Reaction score
That’s a great story. Gets back to what’s really important. Im with the crowd crying foul myself on the subject by the by.

Latest Threads