Slash model doesn't have his signature pickups, thoughts?

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My perception on people's attitude towards these 2 Slash lines is mainly based on the comment sections under their official Youtube videos. People were happy under the Gibson video but disappointed under the Epiphone video. Guess I've not done my homework enough.

I think this might be because a huge amount of Gibson buyers replace stock pickups on a regular basis. Even those who get top shelf Historic Reissues will go for handmade boutique pickups.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me since it's Epiphone. Probably to keep cost down given the average demographic of the buyer.

zdoggie

Reaction score
just like everything in demand , the epi's are less expensive I've owned epi it is a supposed korina explorer all it took was one this was the most unplayable guitar I ever owned , I guess thats what you get for buying off the internet reverb to be exact frets above the 12th fret was just a mess I worked on this problem for a month filing frets seemed like I'd get one to work and two more would be wrong yes I tried leveling the board adj neck to flat so after I got it as good as my patience would allow then I addressed the tone yech ! so I put in aset bernie masden pickups , it still in the closet , I'll never buy another yes one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch zdog

Nikki M

Reaction score
I learned that Epiphone slash models have custom probuckers in them. I personally don't mind as they seem to have been modified to suit Slash's taste. But I've seen a lot of people get angry or disappointed in the comment sections of some Youtube videos I've watched.

After a brief search I see that the Gibson models don't carry his signature pickups either, instead they carry custom burstbucker. Are people upset about those too? I didn't see complains under Gibson's slash collection video (or am I oblivious?). Why the hate towards the Epiphone models? Thoughts?
Gibson Slash Signature Les Paul 2008
Electronics: Seymour Duncan APH-1 Humbucker pickups

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
They are not bad, but they do not belong in Slash Signature guitars.

Considering the lack of Slash pickups and the fact that he has not done much in last 30 years I will pass on new Epi Slash models.
Are you serious? In 30 years he's done 2 records with Snakepit, 2 records with Velvet Revolver, a solo record, 3 (soon to be 4) records with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, huge reunion tour with GnR (and a rumored new album); not to mention all the touring and guest appearances. Definitely doesn't sound like "hasn't done much."

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's usual that Epiphone iterations come with cheaper pickups.

Zakk Wylde Epis usually came with EMG Hz stock instead of the 81-85 set.
Even Joe Bonamassa's current Black Beauty comes with Epiphone ProBuckers.
I think ProBuckers are the higher quality Epiphone eletronics, but I could be wrong.

I don't 100% understand what you said, but... I don't know if ProBuckers nessecarily means the use of the higher-quality quality pots and caps, but they are better pups than stock Epis. On the inverse, I every Epi with CTS electronics I recall seeing had ProBuckers or alternative of like quality.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on that. This 60's standard is armed to the teeth and i have less into it than i do the org cost of my slash guitar!! People seem to forget that Slash started off with a hand made custom non Gibson and prob a reg tabacco burst gibson standard in the november rain video. I made the mistake of going for a sig guitar either it was this one or the Alex guitar I almost bought had sweet water had them in stock... I won't fall for it again that's for damm sure!! All i can say is atleast this is a 950 dollar mistake and not a 3000 dollar mistake!!

Good looking guitar! Is this an Epi or a Gib '60s standard? Bourbon burst finish? I have an Epi in Iced Tea, and it is a great guitar... Aside from a high 15th-ish fret.

VergDan

Reaction score
Are you serious? In 30 years he's done 2 records with Snakepit, 2 records with Velvet Revolver, a solo record, 3 (soon to be 4) records with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, huge reunion tour with GnR (and a rumored new album); not to mention all the touring and guest appearances. Definitely doesn't sound like "hasn't done much."
An off-topic sidenote, I love love love Myles Kennedy and Alter Bridge, however I can't stand him singing GnR songs, something just doesn't sound right.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
just like everything in demand , the epi's are less expensive I've owned epi it is a supposed korina explorer all it took was one this was the most unplayable guitar I ever owned , I guess thats what you get for buying off the internet reverb to be exact frets above the 12th fret was just a mess I worked on this problem for a month filing frets seemed like I'd get one to work and two more would be wrong yes I tried leveling the board adj neck to flat so after I got it as good as my patience would allow then I addressed the tone yech ! so I put in aset bernie masden pickups , it still in the closet , I'll never buy another yes one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch zdog

I can't blame you for being soured by the bad apple. My Epi korina Explorer is a good guit-fiddle. If I buy used, I have to see it first. For $600 Epis, purchasing online, new from GC/SW/MF at least gives the option of returning a turkey with no lost money. I'm willing to take the "off-the-lot" loss since it isn't that much, especially after considering the shipping cost with a used instrument.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a brief search I see that the Gibson models don't carry his signature pickups either, instead they carry custom burstbucker. Are people upset about those too? I didn't see complains under Gibson's slash collection video (or am I oblivious?). Why the hate towards the Epiphone models? Thoughts?

Gibson is now putting Slashpups into the Slash Pauls. At least that is what the GC website says. "Is the first Slash signature model to sport pickups of his own design—the custom-wound SlashBucker." It is still $3000.

From a marketing standpoint, a Slash LP without Slash pups seems like a misstep because it tends to confuse buyers. Until reading this, I thought they had Slashpups.

Is there any difference between a Gibson Slash Paul and Gibson's $2500 LP Standards?

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Gibson is now putting Slashpups into the Slash Pauls. At least that is what the GC website says. "Is the first Slash signature model to sport pickups of his own design—the custom-wound SlashBucker." It is still $3000.

From a marketing standpoint, a Slash LP without Slash pups seems like a misstep because it tends to confuse buyers. Until reading this, I thought they had Slashpups.

Is there any difference between a Gibson Slash Paul and Gibson's $2500 LP Standards?
Well they are Slash pickups in that they're burstbuckers modded to his specs/sound. They're not regular off the shelf burstbuckers. Differences are the finishes, pickups, and neck profile.

VergDan

Reaction score

Looking at both Gibson's and Epiphone's current Slash collections, Gibson's SlashBuckers are Burstbuckers modified to suit Slash's taste, Epiphone has their equivalent 'Custom ProBuckers'. I don't consider these 'Slash's pickup' but rather just glorified stock pickups. I hope I've made myself clear so there's no confusion.

pugachev

Reaction score
Just seems to miss the point of a signature guitar if there's nothing "slash" about the guitar except the decal. The finishes look nothing like Slash's guitar, and the pickups are a copy of a copy of the pickup's Slash actually uses. They're cool guitars, but what exactly makes them a "signature" slash guitar besides the decal on the back? The 2008ish Slash Epiphones had Seymour Duncan pickups. Just seems kind of silly not even the Gibson line gets those anymore when even the budget line use to.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Just seems to miss the point of a signature guitar if there's nothing "slash" about the guitar except the decal. The finishes look nothing like Slash's guitar, and the pickups are a copy of a copy of the pickup's Slash actually uses. They're cool guitars, but what exactly makes them a "signature" slash guitar besides the decal on the back? The 2008ish Slash Epiphones had Seymour Duncan pickups. Just seems kind of silly not even the Gibson line gets those anymore when even the budget line use to.
The finishes are based on actual guitars that he's played in the past.

VergDan

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
But the neck profile is also different though.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Good looking guitar! Is this an Epi or a Gib '60s standard? Bourbon burst finish? I have an Epi in Iced Tea, and it is a great guitar... Aside from a high 15th-ish fret.

thx man !! it's the epi 60's standard 2020 in bourbon burst. i can't rember what color i wanted at the time i bought it but ofcourse they were outa every other color cept for the ebony and the bourbon burst. that was my first non solid color epi lp i owned. so i figured screw it give me the bourbon burst! last thing i wanted at the time was another blk guitar!!

rbraad68

Reaction score
was it the vaticans on youtube? In his review he does trash the Gibson Slash Customs a lot, but the SD do sound better.

that might be the one? i'll look for the link and post it...

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
thx man !! it's the epi 60's standard 2020 in bourbon burst. i can't rember what color i wanted at the time i bought it but ofcourse they were outa every other color cept for the ebony and the bourbon burst. that was my first non solid color epi lp i owned. so i figured screw it give me the bourbon burst! last thing i wanted at the time was another blk guitar!!

(Please forgive my nasty, hairy legs in the pix.)

Same here! But in reverse. I wanted the bourbon, but I settled for the iced tea. I'm happy with it. I already have an old (2003) Ebony Epi LP, which plays far better than you'd expect for a $230-$250 guitar. The '57 Classic pup in the bridge position doesn't hurt the sound, either.

After I got the Epi '60s Iced Tea, I got a Gibson LP, a '60s Guitar Center special in "Tri-Burst," which is close enough to bourbon for me. I had trouble setting it up, but I have a good, local shop, and it is now butter. After that, more than one player said it was one of the best-playing guitars they'd ever held. (I also learned an important lesson about doing great setups.)

This is the link to the one I purchased.
Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s Limited-Edition

Here's a pic of the Gibson Tri-Burst:
GibLPITriBurst.jpg

This is my Epi 60s Iced Tea:
EpiLP60sIcedTea.jpg

Latest Threads